18-55 VR kit lens wont autofocus in many occations

SkipperMix

I just bought a used D5200 with the VR kit lens (18-55)

But when I try to do a macro shot or sometimes far inside in auto it just makes a "squicky" sound when I hold half in to focus, if I then press down to shoot nothing happens, and nothing changes in the optical viewfinder

It seems to work quick and fast if I shoot "medium" distances, and of course no problem in manual mode

I can try to record the sound it makes if that helps

My modes are as this picture says View image: WP 20150610 11 25 39 Pro

Horoscope Fish

I just bought a used D5200 with the VR kit lens (18-55)

But when I try to do a macro shot or sometimes far inside in auto it just makes a "squicky" sound when I hold half in to focus, if I then press down to shoot nothing happens, and nothing changes in the optical viewfinder

It seems to work quick and fast if I shoot "medium" distances, and of course no problem in manual mode

I can try to record the sound it makes if that helps

My modes are as this picture says View image: WP 20150610 11 25 39 Pro
Sounds like you may be trying to focus closer than the minimum focusing distance for that lens. The minimum focus distance of an AF-S DX NIKKOR 18–55 mm f/3.5–5.6G VR lens is 0.28 m or 0.92 ft. (a little over 11 inches; this information appears on the lens as ∞–0.28 m/0.92 ft.). Further, by default, Nikon camera's will not take a shot unless Focus Lock has been achieved. You can over-ride that setting but if you haven't your camera won't take a picture until it thinks it has good focus.

SkipperMix

Sounds like you may be trying to focus closer than the minimum focusing distance for that lens. The minimum focus distance of an AF-S DX NIKKOR 18–55 mm f/3.5–5.6G VR lens is 0.28 m or 0.92 ft. (a little over 11 inches; this information appears on the lens as ∞–0.28 m/0.92 ft.). Further, by default, Nikon camera's will not take a shot unless Focus Lock has been achieved. You can over-ride that setting but if you haven't your camera won't take a picture until it thinks it has good focus.

Okay, I will try to see if that seems accurate later :)

SkipperMix

I was more worried about the noise it makes when it cant focus, but not sure how much I am going to use the kit lens, should have a Nikkor 35mm 1.8g waiting when I get home from work

Horoscope Fish

I was more worried about the noise it makes when it cant focus, but not sure how much I am going to use the kit lens, should have a Nikkor 35mm 1.8g waiting when I get home from work
Some lenses do that when they can't achieve focus lock, it's normal. Bear in mind neither of these lenses are "macro" lenses. If you want that kind of close focusing you'll need to buy a lens specifically designated as such. Nikon calls these lenses "Micro", the rest of the world calls them "Macro", such as the Nikon Micro 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED.

SkipperMix

Some lenses do that when they can't achieve focus lock, it's normal. Bear in mind neither of these lenses are "macro" lenses. If you want that kind of close focusing you'll need to buy a lens specifically designated as such. Nikon calls these lenses "Micro", the rest of the world calls them "Macro".

Dont need macro, for now I want to do some casual Astrophoto and vacation photos, and the 35mm should be fine for both, will see how much I use the zoom lens

SkipperMix

Seems like the lens cant autofokus, if I manual focus and then put it in auto then it works, but if it has to auto focus it just squeks and dont focus

Horoscope Fish

Could be a communication error between lens and body, could be the lens is "stuck", could be the AF-motor in the camera body is shot. Do you have another lens, or access to another lens you could try on the same body? A camera shop, for instance, would let you swap lenses long enough to find out that solves the problem. If an different lens will auto-focus on the body you know the lens is at fault. If not, you're probably looking at the AF motor, or something related, needing repair.

SkipperMix

Just tried my friends lens and that works perfectly and my lens dont work on his D7100 either, so its an issue with the motor in the lens

Blacktop

Just tried my friends lens and that works perfectly and my lens dont work on his D7100 either, so its an issue with the motor in the lens
Good that you have it sorted out. Lucky it was the 18-55 lens which could be replaced for under a 100 bucks and even for less.

Horoscope Fish

Just tried my friends lens and that works perfectly and my lens don't work on his D7100 either, so its an issue with the motor in the lens
Well there you go. Glad you got it sorted out.

As Pete points out, it's an eaasily (and cheaply) replaced lens if not under warranty. Maybe a good excuse for an upgrade??? Hmmmmm!!

SkipperMix

Well there you go. Glad you got it sorted out. Like Pete points out, it's easily, and cheaply replaced lens if not under warranty. Maybe a good excuse for an upgrade??? Hmmmmm!!

Yes I think the seller will find a used one and buy for me

Nah I bought it today as my first DSLR and I also bought Nikon 35mm f/1.8 G FX Review which should have been delivered today but the seller there forgot to add some address details so they have to ship it back to him and then he needs to ship it again, so I am just damm lucky today :) will wait abit with upgrading the kitlens