๑۩۩๑ ● Hook, Line and Stinker ::: Fishbowl-O-Rama 2019 ● ๑۩۩๑

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Re: ๑۩۩๑ ● Hook, Line and Stinker ::: Fishbowl-O-Rama 2019 ● ๑۩۩๑

Not bad for a Nikon impersonator. *cough cough* ;) So what's up with your D850? :confused:

Horoscope Fish

Certainly makes you appreciate what you have.
In spades! The focus hunting alone was about to drive me mad... And while it might sound weird, I simply can't get creative without an optical viewfinder.

Not bad for a Nikon impersonator. *cough cough* ;) So what's up with your D850? :confused:
I have trouble getting good AF calibration results on my 70-200mm using the Tamron dock/console/whatever they call it, which is funny because I have zero issue using the Sigma dock for the same task; but then all my Sigma lenses are primes... Anyway, Tamron calibrated the AF to my D850 under warranty. They paid for shipping (both ways!) so the only discomfort, other than an itchy trigger finger, has been the separation anxiety.

Andy W

Have you received the D850 and lens? If so, how's it working?

Horoscope Fish

Have you received the D850 and lens? If so, how's it working?
FedEx dropped off the delivery on Monday. I'll scrutinize the AF more closely today but I'll say now casual testing shows a marked improvement. The lens has always been very, very good; but in my experience a proper AF calibration can give images a certain... Je ne sais quoi. I don't like using that phrase but I'm talking about something I can't adequately describe, or objectively measure; I certainly know it when I see it, though. Prior to having the AF calibrated images from this lens weren't displaying this "X Factor" and now they do.

Update: The AF has been tested under more stringent conditions and yes, it's dead on.

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

Brenna #2.jpg
Brenna at the Barre​

Horoscope Fish

Closing out 2019 with a shot of "Clara" from a performance of The Nutcracker (so far behind on my processing).

Not looking all that bad, IMO, considering ISO 25,600 and minimal processing...
Nutcracker Clara #2.jpg

Clara

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

Nicely done, Fish. Do you want this thread moved to a different category since you're using a different body? Right now it's under the D750 subforum.