Post your Train shots!

Sandpatch

From 08/14/1999 at Camak, GA on the former Georgia Railroad. The branchline to Macon, GA left the main here.

1999-08-14 Camak GA - for upload.jpg

Sandpatch

Great catch Sandpatch. Nice to catch some pumpkin color. The ones I've seen up here have mostly been on intermodal trains. Maybe a run through agreement or some such.

Thank you. We get a lot of UP on the NS, but BNSF is somewhat more difficult to find. I'd like to capture a KCS unit before the CP takes over the road, but they're really hard to find here. 👀

Sandpatch

Referencing my thought above about the rarity of Kansas City Southern locomotives in the Carolinas, guess what appeared in my lens this overcast day? Yep, two KCS units on the point of NS 242. In decades of rail photography, I've never before seen one. I was pleased to be able to include some wisteria in the frame, a sure sign of spring. [D5100]

2023-03-13 Hopkins SC - for upload.jpg

crashton

Nice catch Sandpatch. I think those are some of the nicest looking locomotives out there. I wonder what Canadian Pacific will do with them. Hopefully they will remain as they are beautiful Southern Bells....

Sandpatch

Nice catch Sandpatch. I think those are some of the nicest looking locomotives out there. I wonder what Canadian Pacific will do with them. Hopefully they will remain as they are beautiful Southern Bells....

I hope so too. A friend just sent me photos of geeps he saw in KCS gray. I didn't know these were still to be found. Being older and of lesser HP, I'm guessing these don't venture off KCS rails.

We had a CP heritage unit pass through here in the last week, but it was a mid-train helper and came through at an odd time, so I missed it. The only CP unit I have on film was found in Asheville back when more trains were to be seen there, 08/30/2014.

Sadly, a paper mill near Asheville has just announced its closure, which will decimate what bit of rail tonnage remains. The mill is served by shortline Blue Ridge Southern which interchanges with NS at Asheville.

2014-08-30 Asheville NC CP Leader - for upload.jpg

Sandpatch

That's why I asked if it's in his database, it isn't gonna be showing up on any tracks any time soon... :D

I hope these units were unoccupied when they derailed. BNSF calls these rebuilt locomotives GP39Ms, but they were originally built as GP-30s and are a fan favorite with their unmistakable early 1960s streamlined cab styling, featuring a high, slanted roofline above the number boards carrying back to the dynamic brake blister.

Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania at Strasburg, 09/23/2022 [D5100]
2022-09-23 008 Strasburg PA - for upload.jpg

Huntington, WV, 04/11/1988 [Nikon N2020, Kodachrome]
1988-04-11 011 BO 6934 Huntington WV - for upload.jpg

Sandpatch

Great capture Sandpatch. She won't look that good for long. Do you know if she is a new build or a rebuilt unit?

Thank you @crashton and @Bikerbrent . Who'd have ever thought that a clean locomotive would be so rare as to be worthy of a photo? 🤷‍♂️ These are rebuilds of old GE Dash-9s. In the case of our sparkling 4631, she was formerly the 9402, built in 01/2000. My goodness, how can these locomotives be that old already?