Monthly Assignment -August 1st-31st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_W

The Dude
This is from this weekend's trip to the Anza-Borrego desert trying to capture some of the Perseid meteor showers. Although I saw plenty of them streaking across the night sky, I wasn't lucky enough to capture many. Also, I suspect you have to use a very high ISO otherwise the meteor streak will be averaged in with the long exposure and will not stand out as it would with a fast exposure shot.

_DW22353-panGood-withFix-V2-3.jpg

WeeHector

My first entry for the monthly comp.

"Solitude"

Solitude.jpg

D3100
40mm, f2.8, 1/6th sec, ISO 3200.
No flash.

PS: In spite of what the figures might suggest, this was actually hand-held! I had been taking shots of the moon earlier and still had the tripod attached so it helped to stabilise the camera, even at 1/6th of a second.

Last edited:

Mike150

OK, now for my second try. (probably my last for this contest). For those of you who are history buffs, this is the Rotunda at the University of Virginia. The building was designed by Thomas Jefferson house the library at the university. It's currently undergoing renovations so you'll see some scaffolding that really screws up the shot. Maybe I can revisit this shot next summer once classes are over. Nobody wants to see an OLD man wandering around a university at night with a camera and long lenses.

DSC_5150 - Copy.jpg

For the curious, the large letter "Z" painted on the steps honors the "Mystical Z Society", a group anonymous patrons who annually donate scholarship awards to students who pursue academic greatness in their respective field of study.

Status
Not open for further replies.