Travel camera suggestions

Phillydog1958

Don't under-estimate the CX sensor. . . it does a very nice job. Until I personally used one, I would have said the same. For a travel system at a reasonable price point, they are tough to beat. One of the huge pluses on the Nikon 1 system is the focus speed. I'd suggest looking at the Mirrorless Forum for more info and sample images.

They're quick. The photos aren't bad either. Many have underestimated the Nikon 1 series. There are videos on Youtube of reviewers who thought the same, until they actually used the cameras. Most of the criticism comes from people who have not ever held one. Try it, you might just like it.

AC016

Nope, I never tried it. However, numbers don't lie and I have read many reviews and comparisons. Honestly, I was actually going to buy one. There was a J1 on sale with two lenses for $400 - it was red and was going to be for my wife. But, I just did not make my mind up fast enough. I am sure it is a fun camera to use and I have seen all the sample images, which are very nice. However, when I look at other offerings in the same price range, I would rather go with the likes of a Sony. I don't think that anyone can dismiss the fact that there are far better offerings out there in the mirrorless world.

White Canvas

If I was to pick one point & shoot camera for travelling, it would be the (I hate to say this) Canon G12. Second choice would be the Panasonic Lumix.

Would you be highly supportive then of the G15 followed by the LX7? Certainly snap sort likes these two more than the P7700, while its unsure of the score on the Fuji X20. http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-PowerShot-G15-vs-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-LX7

It's been an interesting discussion and I think I'm still a long way off settling on one. Thank you for your advice.

AC016

Would you be highly supportive then of the G15 followed by the LX7? Certainly snap sort likes these two more than the P7700, while its unsure of the score on the Fuji X20. Canon PowerShot G15 vs Panasonic DMC-LX7 - Our Analysis

It's been an interesting discussion and I think I'm still a long way off settling on one. Thank you for your advice.

Rick_M has a G15 I believe. You can go and pick his brain about it. He is one of the mods around here.

White Canvas

I bought a Fuji X10 spectacular IQ and a "viewfinder".

I guess I'm drawn to the viewfinder of the Fuji x over the lack of one on the Nikon P7700. However I like the manual settings and ability to use my SB-400 with a a Nikon friendly compact.

Have you images you taken with the x10?

White Canvas

To everyone who contributed to this thread with sound advice and recommendations I wanted to say a big thank you. It was very useful in helping me to explore the various options and work out which suited my requirements best. In the end I decided to go with the Fujifilm X20 as it met most of what I was looking in a travel camera and a budget I could afford. Here are two images I just took after picking it up at the store. There are more on my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/derekhall/sets/72157634516023080

Thank you
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373128958.606086.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373128974.006580.jpg

ladytonya

This might seem like a stupid question, but is there a reason you wouldn't travel with your DSLR? I mean, you have this awesome camera, why not use it!

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
This might seem like a stupid question, but is there a reason you wouldn't travel with your DSLR? I mean, you have this awesome camera, why not use it!

It is a fair question. I travel a lot for work (I think I will make flight 40 for the year this week). Most times I am visiting customer sites where a DSLR would be inappropriate or even not allowed due to security concerns. I'm more comfortable leaving my V1 in the trunk of a rental than my D300. If I can arrange my schedule where I'll know for certain that I can have free time and arrange to leave the DSLR in a safe place while at the client, I will. The V1 is a reasonable compromise IMHO. When I travel for vacation or personal reasons, the DSLR is always with me.

ladytonya

Ah, okay. When I think travel, I think vacation. When I go on vacation, I definitely want to take my D3100 with me! I never travel for work, not something that happens in my profession, so I never thought about it that way.

LensWork

Depending upon your definition of "affordable", the new Nikon Coolpix A produces DSLR quality images (it uses the sensor out of the D7000). The sensor combined with a fixed focal length lens (28mm equivalent), the ability to record in raw, full range of exposure modes (P, S, A & M), AF or MF and the ability to use Nikon speedlights, all in a very compact size make it an outstanding choice. The big drawback is its $1,100 price tag.

_DSC0009.jpg

White Canvas

It's true I would rather have my D5100 and choice of lens with me, but I often travel to countries like Rwanda, Uganda, etc. Countries of extreme poverty, with a need to travel light and sometimes stay in conditions were I don't want to draw attention to myself. Yet I need to capture pictures for talks or I simply want to photography the amazing scenery. So you can understand why it might be inappropriate or foolish for me to lug an large kit around with me.

White Canvas

It is a fair question. I travel a lot for work (I think I will make flight 40 for the year this week). Most times I am visiting customer sites where a DSLR would be inappropriate or even not allowed due to security concerns. I'm more comfortable leaving my V1 in the trunk of a rental than my D300. If I can arrange my schedule where I'll know for certain that I can have free time and arrange to leave the DSLR in a safe place while at the client, I will. The V1 is a reasonable compromise IMHO. When I travel for vacation or personal reasons, the DSLR is always with me.

It's true, for personal travel its worth bring the DSLR. Recently I did so in Geneva and enjoyed every moment capturing that fantastic city. But like you sometimes it's not appropriate, yet you wish that you had it available in hand when you see the landscape and culture.

White Canvas

Depending upon your definition of "affordable", the new Nikon Coolpix A produces DSLR quality images (it uses the sensor out of the D7000). The sensor combined with a fixed focal length lens (28mm equivalent), the ability to record in raw, full range of exposure modes (P, S, A & M), AF or MF and the ability to use Nikon speedlights, all in a very compact size make it an outstanding choice. The big drawback is its $1,100 price tag.

View attachment 43159

Great camera choice and yes I would have been delighted with the quality of images, but to be honest the price tag would make it too pricey for this particular travel. Thank you all the same.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod

The Coolpix A certainly has a lot going for it but the fixed focal length is a show stopper for my needs.

LensWork

The Coolpix A certainly has a lot going for it but the fixed focal length is a show stopper for my needs.

The fixed focal length lens may be a bit limiting, however it is a contributing factor to the outstanding image quality.

I would have preferred something on the order of a 35mm f/1.8, however that may have not been feasible in this size package.

White Canvas