Hi New Member. Old Nikon 5700

Epatgal2

New member
Hello. I have several of these cameras - Nikon Coolpix 5700. I know; old guy with old camera. Have two that have the black screens even though I can switch places on each camera. In other words, the viewing screens are black. Is this still a fixable problem? Where can I send? Is there any value to doing this?

Or the best answer will probably be to just get a new one. Anyone else with this experience?
 

Clovishound

Senior Member
Well, you can't get a "new" one as they have been out of production for quite a while. I couldn't find an end date, but they first came out in 2002.

You could replace it with a new Coolpix p950. They aren't necessarily cheap, but they have considerable advantages over the 5700. Most notably 16 MP resolution versus 5MP on the 5700. The lens is 24-2000mm equivalent to full frame 35mm. That is a significant bump from the 35-280 you now have. It also has significantly higher ISO capability, and I'm sure the autofocus is much better as well. There are likely lots of other upgrades as well, since advances in digital photography have been significant over the last couple decades.

Some folks really love this camera for a small, light and compact birding camera, especially considering the reach it has at full zoom. They can be had for $850 new, and a couple hundred less used. If you shoot a lot, I think it would be well worth the money to upgrade, assuming it's in your budget. I understand that not everyone can drop the better part of a $1000 on a new camera.
 

nikonpup

Senior Member
Hello. I have several of these cameras - Nikon Coolpix 5700. I know; old guy with old camera. Have two that have the black screens even though I can switch places on each camera. In other words, the viewing screens are black. Is this still a fixable problem? Where can I send? Is there any value to doing this?

Or the best answer will probably be to just get a new one. Anyone else with this experience?
WELCOME. REPLACE,
 

benhasajeep

New member
Does the viewfinder work? I have a coolpix 8700 and luckily it is still working. The 5700 is only worth about $35-60 used. For less than having a used screen replaced in it, you can get a newer one for not much money now a days. You can get a quality bridge type camera that's probably 10 years newer design wise for about $200 easily from Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji etc. Keh.com MPB.com are two large used camera sites that are reputable). Just have to check prices and specs you might like. New ones will set you back more, but have even better features. But the 10 year old or so cameras would be a big jump to the Coolpix 5700.
 

tonye

New member
At this point I would get into the big boy world and get myself a half decent DSLR with a low count and a couple of lenses for not much money. Try fleebay for second hand kit, I managed to rob a D600 FX for less than £100 but there's some other light weight models out there as well with 24MP ie D 5200 that still get great shots. Hope this helps.
 
Top