Causes of "SD card is not formatted" errors?

robstopper

I sold my old D3200 to a friend, who has been using it for the last few months without issue.

Twice this month though, he has had an error message saying the sd card is damaged, cannot be used or is not formatted. These have come towards the end of a day taking pictures with no issue, checking the image previews, etc.

They are both brand new Sandisk 64gb cards, same as i used in the camera for years with no issue. He has taken pictures off the cards previously with no issues, just unfortunately its happened twice now after heavy days of photography.

Any ideas what is causing the issue? Camera problem or sd card problem?

Needa

Challenge Team
Any ideas what is causing the issue? Camera problem or sd card problem?
Contact Sandisk have them walk or send instructions for a total format. Then format in camera. Also might try cleaning the card contacts or a different card. I once ahad a card replaced under warranty the new card had some kind of formatting issue causing problems. Had tried formatting, only after reformatting from command prompt then in camera was the issue resolved.

robstopper

He's had the issue with two different cards I think. Its strange, as they're the same type i used in the camera before i sold it to him, and never had any issues over 10's of thousands of pics

Will tell him to format them in-camera once he's got them back from the data recovery place he's going to use to retrieve the pics

Fred Kingston

He's had the issue with two different cards I think. Its strange, as they're the same type i used in the camera before i sold it to him, and never had any issues over 10's of thousands of pics

Will tell him to format them in-camera once he's got them back from the data recovery place he's going to use to retrieve the pics
If he's having the same issues with multiple cards...that points to a camera issue and not a card issue...