Photo Shooting Menu options greyed out

GreenSlade

Here's hoping some of you good guys on here can help me out. I have a Z5 with a DX 50-250 lens. The image size is 3936x2624px and FX mode, but both the Choose Image Area and Image Size menu options are greyed out. What settings does the camera need to have to get 24MP? I've tried resetting the menu but it doesn't seem to help. Oh, and swearing at it doesn't help neither.

Thanks in advance.

Needa

Challenge Team
There is your problem you are using a DX lens on a FF camera. The image size 3936X2224 PX corresponds to a large size image in DX mode. I suspect that when you put that lens on the camera automatically selects DX mode and that is why those options are grayed out. Try a FF lens and see if it resolves the issue.

Bikerbrent

Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride GreenSlade. We look forward to seeing more posts and samples of your work.

You might also want to consider introducing yourself on New Member Introductions.

BF Hammer

Needa is correct. Although you can mount and use the crop-sensor 50-250mm lens on your Z5, it is only projecting a smaller size image on the central part of the sensor. So DX image size is the only option the camera will allow. Get a full-frame telephoto zoom instead.

GreenSlade

There is your problem you are using a DX lens on a FF camera. The image size 3936X2224 PX corresponds to a large size image in DX mode. I suspect that when you put that lens on the camera automatically selects DX mode and that is why those options are grayed out. Try a FF lens and see if it resolves the issue.
Ah OK, thank you. I've been using it for a while and never bothered to check the image dimensions, that and getting used to everything. Guess I'll be saving up like crazy to get a FF lanes, but right now I'm happy enough with it.

Thanks again.

Mikanat

I have a Z6 , with a crop lens. same problem, but the camera says FF , not DX. And the option to change image area is grayed out. I want the camera to recognize the face that I am using a crop lens, but it doesn't. I am using an FTZ adapter. Maybe that is the reason ?
Michael.

Bikerbrent

Welcome aboard Mikanat, enjoy the ride. We look forward to seeing more posts and samples of your work.

Someone will be along shortly to help you out.