Memory Access Lamp remains on even when power off and card removed

paulspring

I have not used my camera for a long period and just took it out of the camera bag. The memory access light was on, even though the camera was off. Even when the card is removed, the light stays on. It only goes off when the battery is removed. It functions normally, apart from that, and I am able to take photos and they are stored on the card.

Bikerbrent

I have not used my camera for a long period and just took it out of the camera bag. The memory access light was on, even though the camera was off. Even when the card is removed, the light stays on. It only goes off when the battery is removed. It functions normally, apart from that, and I am able to take photos and they are stored on the card.
Welcome aboard paulspring, enjoy the ride. We look forward to seeing more posts and samples of your work.

You might also want to consider introducing yourself on New Member Introductions.

Someone will be along shortly to help you out with you D5300 Camera.

paulspring

Ran across this. Not sure it will work, but probably worth trying.

Memory access light stays on
Thanks, but I already saw this. It seems to only really apply to the D70 and/or D90, as the D5300 doesn't have this spring-loaded "lightbulb" slot on the power switch. I did contact Nikon technical support and the person at the other end seemed to know less about the camera than me, and after 5 minutes of giving me useless advice said that he'd have to talk to his colleagues, it would take more time, and that he'd have to email me. Needless to say the email hasn't been forthcoming. I'm pretty annoyed, really, as it wasn't long ago that I sent the whole camera in to Nikon for repair for a few hundred quid.

Needa

Challenge Team
Have you tried this yet?

Not sure if this is relevant to this make/model, but on Canon body, I was able to reset things by doing the following: 1. Switch off, 2. remove battery and card 3. switch on 4. Hold down the shutter for at least 15 seconds 5. switch off 6. re-instal battery and card 7. switch on and keep your fingers crossed.
It worked for me and cleared unusual issues I was having with it.
This was apparently a suggestion from a technician in one of their factories and was not widely known in the public domain. It makes you wonder if this is what they do when people send their cameras in for a repair costing a fortune:confused:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Re: Tip - Attached lens won't autofocus

Not sure if this is relevant to this make/model, but on Canon body, I was able to reset things by doing the following:

1. Switch off
2. remove battery and card
3. switch on
4. Hold down the shutter for at least 15 seconds
5. switch off
6. re-install battery and card
7. switch on and keep your fingers crossed.

It worked for me and cleared unusual issues I was having with it.
This was apparently a suggestion from a technician in one of their factories and was not widely known in the public domain. It makes you wonder if this is what they do when people send their cameras in for a repair costing a fortune

Try at your own risk!!
Peter posted this a while back. It seems to be more of an electrical reset rather than the type of reset Nikon offers to reset the camera's shooting menu back to default. I used this myself when the shutter button on my first D7200 stopped autofocusing (it got wet during a snowstorm). This resolved my problem although there's no way to know ahead of time if it will help you.

My only other suggestion is have you looked inside the card slot with a flashlight to see if anything is stuck in there? Those metal electrodes on SD cards wear off. Maybe something is touching the area that reads the cards.

EDIT: and have you opened the card slot (facing it downwards) and used a rocketblower on it to see if anything falls out? Just don't use compressed air.