Fungi?

dachshund

I just bought a used Nikon 28-105 3.5-4.5 D AF lens from Blue Penn via Amazon. The lens is in very good shape as is usual from Blue Penn. There is however, a very slight amount of fungus. At what point should you be concerned about it ?

Fred Kingston

Fungi is an indication that a lens has "inhaled" moisture... That lens is not weather sealed, so is susceptible to "moisture"... If you can, I'd return it while/if you can...

Fred Kingston

Thanks for the info, I guess I was wondering if this will be a progressive issue.
I would say Yes... Mold grows in moisture... If the lens allowed moisture in once, it most certainly would allow it a second, third etc time... Think of mold as a living thing... once the seed has "propagated" as it were, all it needs is moisture to continue... Depending on value, a lens can be opened by a technician skilled in the matter and the lens cleaned...

Clovishound

Unless you got it cheap because of the fungus, I would return it. Fungus growth can etch the lens coatings. Several of my dad's cameras I got when he passed had fungus growing in the lenses. This equipment was stored in unairconditioned rooms in central Florida. Some of them were too far gone to mess with. I had one of them professionally disassembled and cleaned.

dachshund

Thanks, I sent it back, It wasn’t cheap, I spent $197.99 for it. I wanted a good one and this one was the most expensive one from Blue Penn (Amazon). I’ve bought several items from them and have been very satisfied.

Last edited:

Peter7100

Without opening the lens you can't clean it. However some people say they have had success in stopping fungus grow further by removing the front cap, leave the rear one on and place it on a windowsill that gets direct sunlight for a few weeks. However it's not certain to work but if you got it cheaply and are not too concerned about the future value of the lens, you might get some decent use out of it.

Peter7100

Without opening the lens you can't clean it. However some people say they have had success in stopping fungus grow further by removing the front cap, leave the rear one on and place it on a windowsill that gets direct sunlight for a few weeks. However it's not certain to work but if you got it cheaply and are not too concerned about the future value of the lens, you might get some decent use out of it.
That's if you have no success in returning same.

dachshund

I’d try the sunlight method but I live in west Michigan and sunlight is a scarce commodity this time of year. Thanx for the suggestion, but I guess I’ll wait for the refund.