I just bought the D5600 used and have a few questions

abadler

Up until now I used a Nikon D60 and Upgraded to a D5600.

• My first topic is Autofocus in the viewfinder
It came with a Nikon AF-P DX Nikkor 18-55 mm but it does not Autofocus. I opened it looked, cleaned, checked for AF mode but all seems fine. The camera itself looks brand new. Shutter Count is 109, so I think the camera itself should be ok.

• My second question is regarding shutter.
When I release the shutter it clicks for multiple times (3). But within 3 seconds, so super long. Taking one picture takes longer than usual. But this happens in every mode. Why is that.

Fred Kingston

It came with a Nikon AF-P DX Nikkor 18-55 mm but it does not Autofocus. I opened it looked, cleaned, checked for AF mode but all seems fine. The camera itself looks brand new. Shutter Count is 109, so I think the camera itself should be ok.

When I release the shutter it clicks for multiple times (3). But within 3 seconds, so super long. Taking one picture takes longer than usual. But this happens in every mode. Why is that.
This link should answer for your focus question.

This link should answer your question regarding the number of shutter actuations when you press the shutter release.

abadler

I just read that Unlike heavier DX and FX cameras, the D5600 has no internal autofocus motor, so it will not autofocus with old-style screw-drive autofocus (AF) lenses

So I guess this is why? So manual focus it is. Grumpgh.

Fred Kingston

I just read that Unlike heavier DX and FX cameras, the D5600 has no internal autofocus motor, so it will not autofocus with old-style screw-drive autofocus (AF) lenses

So I guess this is why? So manual focus it is. Grumpgh.
That lens has its own autofocus motor... The "P" in the model designation refers to "P" for "Pulse motor"...

You should probably do a Factory reset as suggested... https://www.techsolutions.support.com/how-to/how-to-factory-reset-a-nikon-d5600-camera-11053

Fred Kingston

That camera was sold as a kit with that lens... That camera was basically designed for that series of lenses... If it's not "focusing" you either have an incorrect setting and/or the lens/body is defective... Do the reset.. and start from scratch...

abadler

Thank you I understand and I did the reset. But it says "Lens retracted." in grey in the bottom. It will only take a picture if I manually retract the lens and use manual focus.

Clovishound

Well, I hope you get this straightened out soon. My daughter has a D5600 with that lens, and several others and loves the camera.

I assume you don't have another lens to try out. To rule out the lens, you might be able to get a local camera retailer to allow you to mount one of their lenses to your camera and see if that works. I would try cleaning the contacts on the lens and body.

You could try and contact Nikon customer service. They might be able to at least resolve whether it's a hardware issue.

Any warranty?

abadler

Well, I hope you get this straightened out soon. My daughter has a D5600 with that lens, and several others and loves the camera.

I assume you don't have another lens to try out. To rule out the lens, you might be able to get a local camera retailer to allow you to mount one of their lenses to your camera and see if that works. I would try cleaning the contacts on the lens and body.

You could try and contact Nikon customer service. They might be able to at least resolve whether it's a hardware issue.

Any warranty?
Hello, no unfortunately there is no warranty.

I cleaned it one more time and now the autofocus works, but it still does not zoom in. Is that seperate, does anyone know? How is autofocus and zoom connected? Like I miss the small movement lenses usually do, especially when you turn it on and focus on your first picture. I am sorry if this sounds silly.

Clovishound

The zoom is controlled by the large rubber ring closer to the body of the camera. The manual focus ring is the small rubber ring at the very front of the camera. The two are not connected.

AF is done by the camera when you push the shutter button. Most folks push it halfway down and wait for the camera to focus, then push the rest of the way down to take the picture when they are ready. Depending on the AF mode you are in, the camera will beep when focus is acquired and a green box will surround the area the focus locked onto. If you have it in single AF point, there will be a single box in green. If you have it in auto area, they may be multiple boxes that illuminate in green that are in the same plane of focus. A red box indicates no focus lock. For normal non moving objects, I usually leave my camera in single point, and single servo mode. This will give you a single point of focus (which you can choose), and won't take the picture until it has focus lock. Starting out, using auto for both might be a good choice until you become more familiar with the camera. You can access the focus modes by pushing the i button and making your choices in focus mode, and again in AF area mode.

There are many youtube videos that will walk you through the basics of this camera.

Sandpatch

My (older) 18-55 AF has a switch on the side where AF can be turned on and off. Not sure about yours, but you may want to check.

My D5100 slows with its shutter releases too and it's because the buffer within the camera is small and it fills up quickly, especially so in difficult light situations.