Dangerous Spouse Pics

blackstar

Just my perception and thought, not my criticism: you over-straightened verticle a little, the countertop is fine to me. :encouragement:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I took this into Camera RAW which should have the same tools as Lightroom but with a different layout. Then I went into the Transform section using the option shown by the red arrow.

By the way, the blue markings on Dell indicate where your blacks are clipped. If you look at my Histogram, there is a white arrow in the upper left corner. That feature can be turned off/on. Same with the black arrow on the upper right which indicates clipped whites. I should have turned off the clipping warnings in Camera RAW but didn't think about it.

Dell screen shot.jpg

Back in PCC, I didn't spend much time filling in the upper right corner, but you should get the idea. The bottom can either be filled in or cropped (I left it white although it's hard to tell here). It looks like some of the left edge got stretched a bit; however, the left side of the picture can always be cropped a little.

Dell.jpg

EDIT: and here is DS's original image for reference.

Dell Launch 7 (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
If you think the image looks stretched horizontally overall (which it does in comparison to the original), you also have the option to transform the entire image by dragging in the left edge. That will squish it together so it doesn't look quite so stretched.

nikonbill

Contributor
Dangerspouse,

Is this somewhat what you were aiming for? I played with NX Studio strengthening tools on your post 240 OOC shot?

View attachment 378375

For your reference below is the two changes made in NX

Screenshot 2022-07-25 204552.jpg

I use Affinity (similar tools to Photoshop) for most editing (I am still learning a lot) and if I wanted to do what you wanted to do the tools in NX just rocks simplicity to me.

Great shot as usual - Bill

Last edited:

Dangerspouse

@blackstar @hark @nikonbill , thank you so much for taking the time to consider my pics and share your thoughts! And I especially appreciate the editing efforts and suggestions from Hark and Bill, they are certainly things I will consider when crafting future photos.

You guys rock :applouse:

Last edited:

Needa

Challenge Team
I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on this.

When I took the shot of Dell launching off his pad, I leveled the camera to the counter top it was resting on. The perspective then made everything in the background tilt.

I kinda liked the effect at first, but then it started to irk me the more I looked at it. So I straightened the verticals in Lightroom, and that's the one I entered in the weekly challenge.

However now it's irking me again, lol. Straightening the verticals put the counter top at a wonky angle. Not wanting to run into the same problem with the verticals by re-leveling the counter top, I just cropped the bottom of the picture off. But...I'm not sure. There's no context re: where he's going to land.

So I'm curious. Which of these three do you prefer:

1. OOC

View attachment 378369

2. Straightened verticals:

View attachment 378370

3. Straight verticals with crop:

View attachment 378371

#3 makes me want to get out of the way!

Would you explain why you chose to light the scene the way you did? On the last pictures is it possible that the cat was to close focus on?

Dangerspouse

#3 makes me want to get out of the way!

Would you explain why you chose to light the scene the way you did? On the last pictures is it possible that the cat was to close focus on?

Lol. Yeah, he looks a lot more imposing there, doesn't he! ::what::

I'm glad you asked about lighting.

I'd like to answer, "I do a lot of shoots in my kitchen, as it has a large, flat, island in the center with plenty of room surrounding it. But the mixed lighting (LED, incandescent, and window) make getting correct white balance a nightmare. So whenever I do a shoot in there I try to knock out as much ambient light as possible and expose for either my speedlight or soft boxes, like you do in portrait photography."

That's what I'd like to answer.

Here's the real reason: I thought it would be cool to watch my cat jump between two lights :)

Don't get me wrong, the first explanation is valid, and is why I almost always use either speedlights or soft boxes in that room. But this time around it was just because I wanted to see if I could do it. (Plus, my wife wasn't home at the time to yell at me!)

Dangerspouse

On the last pictures is it possible that the cat was to close focus on?

I don't think so. The minimum focus distance for that 35mm f/1.8G lens I was using is just a hair under a foot, and the width of my kitchen island is closer to three. I'm pretty sure I just missed focus, plain and simple.

Dangerspouse

My G-Shock Atomic Solar that I purchased in the early-90's has finally started to disintegrate. Still keeps perfect time, still syncs itself to the Great Clock in the Sky every morning, and can still keep going after taking a round from a howitzer. But 20 years of on/off bending has split apart the strap, and now part of the housing around the bezel as well. I did stitch the strap back together with fishing line, but...well, it just seems more humane now to retire the old gal. I need a watch with this level of to-the-second accuracy for work, and I also race dirt bikes so whatever is on my wrist is gonna take a pounding. That original G-Shock ticked both boxes, so getting another one was a no-brainer.

I actually found this brand new model in the Amazon Warehouse section, knocked down to 40 dollars because the original box was damaged. But the watch itself remained unscathed, and works perfectly. And I mean, who wears the box anyway? So, here's to 2 more decades of unparalleled accuracy and serious abuse!

This was shot with two soft boxes, camera left and right, angled to knock out reflections and glare. I used a speedlight bounced off a Rogue Flashbender as a fill.

Casio Pair (1 of 1).jpg

Dangerspouse

My 88 year old father was an accordion virtuoso back when that didn't sound like the punchline to a joke. At 16 he won a national playing competition sponsored by the Hohner instrument company and was presented a custom orchestral model by Mr. Hohner himself, and he later played Carnegie Hall as a member of a popular accordion orchestra. He's long retired (research hematologist) and has had to give up his other lifelong loves: motorcycle racing, flying his 1946 Luscombe, restoring vintage cars. But he still has that massive instrument, and keeps it in perfect working order. When I go down to visit him I almost always badger him to give us a tune. And despite some arthritis in the fingers, he still makes magic when he does.

My wife and I went for a visit this past weekend, and while we were there we took in a local motorcycle competition. At 88 my dad remains in remarkably good shape. He has a free weight gym in his basement and works out daily, and goes for jogs every day as well. Although he doesn't compete any more, he still owns several high performance motorcycles and rides them regularly. So he had no problems hiking the wooded trails at the local event. At home later, I got him to pull the Hohner out so I could take a pic or two with the setting sun coming in through the bay window. I placed him so the rays lit his hand, and took some detail shots. And after dinner he gave us another concert, and it was magic again.

Not sure which of these treatments I like best. I entered one of the B&W's in the weekly "Instruments" challenge....

Dad Accordian Hand 1 (1 of 1).jpg

Dad Accordian Hand 2 (1 of 1).jpg

Dad Accordian Hand B&W (1 of 1).jpg

Dad Accordian Hand B&W 2 (1 of 1).jpg

I did grab a snapshot or two of him while we were at the race. Here's a pair of him admiring a beautifully restored Triumph, which actually competed in the event's "Vintage" class. Great to see these old bikes being used as intended, and not moldering away in a museum somewhere.

Dad, Kathy, and Triumph 1 (1 of 1).jpg

Dad, Kathy, and Triumph 2 (1 of 1).jpg

I'll be posting some actual race pictures once I comb through them all. The problem I've found with upgrading to a D500: at 10 fps, I had hundreds and hundreds of images on the card before I knew it! I can only imagine what I would have come home with if I had a Z9. Of course, the upside is that I did it all on one battery charge - and that includes Live View playbacks so the family could see the day's shots.

Clovishound

The B&W version hands down. The tonal gradation is compelling. The hand in the color version does not immediately draw the eye, like it does in the B&W. I'm loving the image.

The fact that it is your dad makes it even better for you. I would proudly hang that image on my wall if it were mine.

Last edited:

Dangerspouse

The B&W version hands down. The tonal gradation is compelling. The hand in the color version does not immediately draw the eye, like it does in the B&W. I'm loving the image.

The fact that it is your dad makes it even better for you. I would proudly hand that image on my wall if it were mine.

Wow, thanks for all that! I'm flattered, and touched you would say that.

Dangerspouse

A few shots from the motorcycle event we attended last Sunday while visiting my father. The sport is called "Observed Trials", which is not a speed race, but a test of skill. The riders go around a course, and along the way they have to ride through a number of "sections" - think of golf, where you go around the course and along the way you have a number of "holes" that you have to play. When you get to a section, you ride through it and are scored on how well you do. Every time you put a foot down you are given one point, to a maximum of 3. If you crash or go out of bounds, you get 5 points. At the end of the event, the low score wins - just like golf. My dad was a top national rider in the 60's and 70's, and I've been competing also since I was in single digits. My wife also competes, which is how we met.

This particular event was a very easy local one that focused on vintage machines. It was perfect for practicing some sports photography, and also for trying the Nikon 3D autofocus tracking. It worked very, very well I'm happy to say. Rather challenging conditions with variable light in the middle of the woods, but it was no problem.

Triumph 1 B&W (1 of 1).jpg

Bultaco Side Case (1 of 1).jpg

Vintage Trials 10 (1 of 1).jpg

Vintage Trials 4 (1 of 1).jpg

Vintage Trials 3 (1 of 1).jpg

Vintage Trials 16 (1 of 1).jpg

Vintage Trials 24 (1 of 1).jpg

Vintage Trials 27 (1 of 1).jpg

Vintage Trials 18 (1 of 1).jpg

Vintage Trials 9 (1 of 1).jpg

Several lady riders also:

Vintage Trials 22 (1 of 1).jpg

My dad spectating:

Vintage Trials 30 (1 of 1).jpg

Everyone has fun :)

KTM Rider pose (1 of 1).jpg

nikonbill

Contributor
Dangerspouse,

I totally agree you should frame the B&W hand photo - a super example of two fine "instruments" (human and musical) bravo!!

Also enjoyed the trials photos, I competed briefly as a teen (in the 70s) on a Suzuki RL250 exacta. Tons of fun

Last edited:

Dangerspouse

Dangerspouse,

I totally agree you should frame the B&W hand photo - a super example of two fine "instruments" (human and musical) bravo!!

Also enjoyed the trials photos, I competed briefly as a teen (in the 70s) on a Suzuki RL250 exacta. Tons of fun

Thanks Bill! You rode trials? Cool! That little Suzy was a really pretty bike. I remember several from my youth that were very competetive. There was one nicely restored one at this trials too, ridden by a real character, lol. I only got one shot, and the bike is unfortunately obscured, but maybe it will bring back a memory :)

Vintage Trials 20 (1 of 1).jpg

nikonbill

Contributor
All great memory's - problably have a photo somewhere I don't remember many being taken though. I loved it the people the most I never got very good at it. Wound up in open wheel dirt racing (4 wheels) for many years. I do have motorcycle love forever though :)

Dangerspouse

All great memory's - problably have a photo somewhere I don't remember many being taken though. I loved it the people the most I never got very good at it. Wound up in open wheel dirt racing (4 wheels) for many years. I do have motorcycle love forever though :)

Well if you are ever so unfortunate as to find yourself in North Jersey, look me up. We'll set you up on one of our spares and you can see how much your skills have deteriorated ;)

Oh man, open wheel dirt racing sounds AWESOME! I hope you've got some pics of that you can post!