Not much action in here

Iansky

More rumours starting to appear hinting at Nikon releasing a DF2 - not sure if they will as the camera did not prove as popular as Nikon hoped and sales were much lower than anticipated.

I do enjoy using mine and find it to be a very tactile camera with a superb sensor.

Suspect Photo Kino in Sep will reveal a lot of unexpected releases from the big boys and the mirrorless community.

lokatz

No video, the limited 39-sensor AF system of the consumer bodies (which also means no GroupAF), no EV or ISO interval settings, no shooting speed adjustments, exposure comp is only +-3, a lower-resolution sensor (I would call it the 5100 one rather than the D4 one since the general feature set is more similar), etc.: I think there is a lot not to like here, except for those who like the concept of "less for more".

I respect people who buy it for the looks and don't expect that much from the body anyway, but for all others, there are much better options in Nikon's portfolio.

Jip

I get what you’re saying for the price they used to ask for it it was a pretty limited camera feature wise, but it makes up for that based on the way you use it.

I have one and have a micro prism focussing screen, I only use it with Nikkor manual Ai-S lenses primarily.

I never use the EV compensation dial... neither do I use any of the features you named thereafter.

The only things I need are ISO setting, Aperture control (on the lens) and Shutter speed. The only thing I don’t like is that the shutter speed dial is in full stops rather than half stops.

The sensor IS a D4 sensor and not a 5100 sensor, simple. The feature set around it might be less but the sensor is important in the Df that it’s high end all the other automated stuff is cheapes out on: simply because the Df users don’t even need that stuff.

I still feel it has more features than I need and wish they left out a lot more.

if it’s not your type of camera then stay away from it, but indeed I pay for less is more.

Same with my Leica S medium format system which costs more than 10000$ I use it daily for work. Some people on here would drop dead if they hear the feature list of that camera (next to zero features).

It’s simply a great sensor, with the settings one needs for taking photos, with little automation.

Same goes for the Df but then at a very reasonable price point, and a ton more features than my Leica S (which I will never use).

Don’t get this wrong: but in general it’s consumers and hobbyist that want features not the people who earn a living with their camera.

Now take a look at my images and tell me I need those features:
Stories - Jip van Kuijk
Flickr

lokatz

Now take a look at my images and tell me I need those features...

Hi Jip, No contest as far as that statement goes: for the images you took, you did not need any other features. What really kills this body for me is the dated AF, because that means I will lose shots I could get with Nikon's more advanced, but not necessarily more expensive bodies (action, street, wildlife, etc.). You do not seem to be doing much in those departments, plus you seem to like the rather peculiar ways in which the Df operates, so you should definitely enjoy this body. Not questioning that at all.

There are a lot of cheaper options out there than the Df where your statement would be equally true, though. Hence my 'less for more' statement, by which I stand. I'll admit that I am not as thrilled by the looks as some people are, and that is a matter of taste so it should not be argued. To me, the Df is the same kind of fashion statement that an iPhone 7 is: if you're thrilled to have it, then enjoy it and ignore the fact that there is better performing gear out there that costs less. Not everyone feels that way, though, and my previous post aimed to fill those folks in on some of the Df's absent features.

Jip

Ha funny, I do have an iPhone 7.

User experience is a big thing a lot of people forget when looking at specifications. Sure there are better camera's than the Df, and sure there are better phones than the iPhone 7 based on specs.

For me the Df does exactly what I expected from it: Micro Prism focussing screen (added that myself), easy acces to shutterspeed and aperture. And thats it. It's also quite lightweight for a full frame camera which is why I bought it... I don't always want to bring around my overly expensive and overly heavy medium format system.

You are right, if you want the latest bells and whistles the Df is not for you.
If you want a DSLR with a great sensor, and easy of use (in my opinion) the Df is for you.

:D

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
You are right, if you want the latest bells and whistles the Df is not for you.
If you want a DSLR with a great sensor, and easy of use (in my opinion) the Df is for you.

:D

But isn't that exactly why a DF was created? The DF was supposed to replicate the old-fashioned manual cameras which didn't have a lot of bells and whistles but were able to take spectacular photos. If it had more mega pixels, I would love to try it; however, the ability to print enlargements (BIG ones) is important to me. And yes, I know there is software which can yield excellent results for that. ;) Personally I prefer either manual mode or aperture priority with exposure compensation, and the largest RAW files possible. Buffer speed isn't needed for my preferences as I don't use a lot of the bells and whistles on of any of my bodies. But there are owners who love their DF bodies!

Jip

Indeed the Df does just that, I don't mind the low megapixel count... for true resolution I grab my medium format system which blows any fullframe/smallformat sensor out of the water.

Take a look at the following 42MB RAW file from my medium format system: http://jip.li/nk/163 if you'd like :)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Indeed the Df does just that, I don't mind the low megapixel count... for true resolution I grab my medium format system which blows any fullframe/smallformat sensor out of the water.

Take a look at the following 42MB RAW file from my medium format system: http://jip.li/nk/163 if you'd like :)

Haha...if the file is from your Leica, I'll take your word for it! ;)

Iansky

I have no issues using the DF for street / documentary work which is why I got it. I would not use it for sport but as a general walk around camera it is stunning and really does deliver. Setting the shutter speed dial to 1/3 stops and using the rear command dial does allow you to set intermediate shutter speeds rather than full stops and to date I have not experienced issues with the AF.

I suspect that many of those who criticize the camera have not actually used one for any length of time and not given it a chance but based their opinion on specs and looks.

There are some of my DF photos on my Flikr account - https://www.flickr.com/photos/149388693@N08/

Jip

I suspect that many of those who criticize the camera have not actually used one for any length of time and not given it a chance but based their opinion on specs and looks.

That happens so much with cameras now a days, people read the specs online, read the price online and 'make up their opinion' as if they have extensively used it for months... while actually they've never even touched it. Or maybe once in a store for half a minute.

I remember when the Leica S (Typ 006) was announced/released, oooh what a shit that camera got for not having more than one focussing point...

It's still my go to camera which makes me money, so many people claimed all sorts of things about the camera without them ever even having touched one... all based on opinions of others (who possibly also haven't even touched it) and specs they read online.

lokatz

A friend of mine coined a great phrase: "Wake up and smell the bathwater". ;) Enjoy your DFs and your beliefs about others.

Jip

A friend of mine coined a great phrase: "Wake up and smell the bathwater". ;) Enjoy your DFs and your beliefs about others.

I was not talking about you, but just about people having opinions in general now a days based on specs and not real world usage.

lokatz

Not taking offense here, Jip, so please don't worry. However, your underlying belief could not be farther from mine: to me, looking at specs is vital to determine whether I am even remotely interested in a body. The Df lacks aspects I find crucial for my photography, so that was an easy conclusion for me - looking at its specs was ALL I needed. When posting spec info about that body, I aim to help others in their decisions - nothing less, nothing more. If they don't care about aspects that matter to me, great! But why get defensive?

As far as the 'not having touched it' argument goes, I am struggling to get the point. I have owned around 10 different Nikons so far, so looking at a pic of a new one tells me pretty much what I need in terms of handling. Using it for any length of time is very unlikely to change my take on the DF.

Lastly, I am glad you are happy with the image quality, but in my experience, IQ has so much more to do with what is IN FRONT OF and what is BEHIND the body - you can get great shots with almost any of them. If large prints were a criterion for me, I would wait for a D850 or buy a used 810. Both outclass the Df in that department.

Iansky

DF is still sat at Fixation waiting for Nikon to pull their finger out and send the replacement parts.

Why are they so bad at supporting 3rd party repair centres - it will discourage people from buying used Nikon equipment that could be liable for repair / service!

Iansky

That's why they are in a poor state and in need of someone putting money into the company, last rumour was Fuji buying a share of Nikon.........interesting.

Nikon part supplies in UK is terrible.

SkvLTD

From..... QC perspective, I get it, its like Ferrari or Maclaren, but otherwise I definitely agree that parts should be available and maybe some certs to qualify repair centers and so on.

Iansky

I contacted the UK MD of NIkon and his PA got back to me immediately apologising and saying she would get someone to contact me - I got a call from "David" who I believe is the Head of Customer Services, he informed me there had been some confusion over the part that has been clarified and they have the part coming from Europe.
I have been informed the camera should be repaired and back with me this week (fingers crossed after 6 weeks)!