Post Your Automotive Shots!

Ranie

6913823196_be2ab16e57_c.jpg

dusktildawn

nice thread, hopefully I'll have something to contribute early next week. I asked my workmate if we can shoot his Mazda RX-7 FD on the weekend. This will be my first automotive photography attempt. so fingers crossed. :D

Will V|Photography

^^ Nice. There are some threads around with some good info for auto shoots. Personally, I'm not a fan of WA shots that distort the car. I like to shoot a long focal length, polarize the windows and sides in 2 or 3 frames, then mask in PS. Watch your backgrounds!!

Will V|Photography

Nice FD! You should definitely invest in a Circular Polarizer and start learning how to mask layers to kill the reflections off the car. You'll give a better idea of body-lines, especially on darker cars. Oh, and watch out for trees/poles/etc "growing out" of your subject. Great shot and awesome car, though! Is it still rotary?

dusktildawn

Thanks for the feedback Will, this shot was one of the first few that I took on location. I do have a circular polariser attached to this lens but I forgot to twist it around to counter the reflection. prior to this day, I've only ever used the polariser when shooting landscape. That pole was a nuisance and I should have given the whole shot a lot more thought. It is still a rotary and I wish I knew more about the mods & tweaks that the owner has done to it but unfortunately I don't know much about cars. I drive a Citroen C4. lol.

KWJams

Last October the wife and I traded for this 2011 Dodge Ram with the "Big Horn" package.
I love the way HDR makes paint look so deep and wet.

untitled-5_HDR_2 (Medium).jpg

Will V|Photography

Thanks for the feedback Will, this shot was one of the first few that I took on location. I do have a circular polariser attached to this lens but I forgot to twist it around to counter the reflection. prior to this day, I've only ever used the polariser when shooting landscape. That pole was a nuisance and I should have given the whole shot a lot more thought. It is still a rotary and I wish I knew more about the mods & tweaks that the owner has done to it but unfortunately I don't know much about cars. I drive a Citroen C4. lol.

Hey, I've seen some sweet C4's! :D If you can find VisualEchos on Flickr, follow his stuff. He uses anywhere from 4-10 polarizations in every shot to get unbelievable images. It's almost disheartening to view! Maybe I'll make a thread on here with some basic "tips" to shooting automotive that everyone can contribute to.

Last October the wife and I traded for this 2011 Dodge Ram with the "Big Horn" package.
I love the way HDR makes paint look so deep and wet.

Clean HDR!

dusktildawn

Hey, I've seen some sweet C4's! :D If you can find VisualEchos on Flickr, follow his stuff. He uses anywhere from 4-10 polarizations in every shot to get unbelievable images. It's almost disheartening to view! Maybe I'll make a thread on here with some basic "tips" to shooting automotive that everyone can contribute to.

Clean HDR!

Found him and all I can say is WOW!!! Amazing stuff, I'm going to spend some more time browsing his shots for some inspiration. thanks for the tip. =)

Here's another with not as much reflection. =)

Mazda RX7 by Ron Gabriel Photography, on Flickr

Will V|Photography

NICE! Yeah, I've been watching him for a few months now and it is just starting to show. I took a couple pics today and have been putting in some time editing. I should have something to post very soon. :D

Will V|Photography

Ok, so I went out "on assignment" yesterday evening but the GTI wasn't being very photogenic. Thankfully, a friend of mine showed up and his car was up to the task. I wish I would've thought to wipe the lovebugs off his bumper but that wasn't really the point of this assignment. The point was post processing and getting the hang of multiple polarizations and exposures.

The first shot is just 2 polarizations and some basic editing in LR. The second is 2 exposures (one for the car and one for the sky) and then tidied up in LR.

Thoughts, opinions, C&C are all welcome. That was the idea behind these.

WaterCoolin' by FLWill, on Flickr

LoveBuggin' by FLWill, on Flickr

Last edited:

dusktildawn

Nice Will! Love the drama in the sky and composition. Might have to try this on the Citroen. The clouds over Sydney have been non-existent in the last few days though.

I'm going out to shoot something to submit in the weekly photo challenge so I might try this while I'm at it.

thanks for the tip.

Will V|Photography

Thanks! Any car works for practice. I've been shooting this car, my GTI, and my girlfriends Passat just to get practice for when I shoot the exotics and show cars. The best way to learn is to keep practicing. I've been at it for months and I'm just now starting to get the right idea.