Post Your D5500 Shots

crb999

Hi everyone, I took 100 landscapes yesterday and NONE look in focus. D5500 Nikon AF-S 24-120mm f /3.5-5.6G.
The camera was set AUTO and on a tripod.

I set the D5500 to P this morning, selected AF-S and all was well!

I have two pix to demonstrate but have been unable to upload them. Is there a limit on the size that can be uploaded?

Lots of interesting and informative reading here, thanks.

Regads

Chris

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi everyone, I took 100 landscapes yesterday and NONE look in focus. D5500 Nikon AF-S 24-120mm f /3.5-5.6G.

I have two pix to demonstrate but have been unable to upload them. Is there a limit on the size that can be uploaded?

Regads

Chris

Welcome!

Yes there is a limit.

Here's a link on how to upload a photo.
http://nikonites.com/new-member-introductions/19632-tutorial-how-post-images-inside-your-post.html

SHAkers718

Regads

Chris

Did you happen to have the VR turned on? It's better to have that off when using a tripod. Also wondering why using an FX lens with DX camera? Not sure of your level of experience but with Auto focus, the camera will focus on the nearest object and that may not always be what you're going for in a landscape. How bright was the light that day? If it was overcast the Auto would perhaps have opened up your aperture quite a bit which would create a shallow depth of field. The more you learn to get yourself out of Auto, the more control you will have over the result.

crb999

Hi Shakers, I don't understand your reference to an FX lens as opposed to a DX one.

For many years I have used that actual lens with my D2X and the D2X before it without problems.

VR was turned on but I take your point.

Most of the shots were landscapes with only water as the foreground but others were zoomed to contain the whole of the front of a house for example. That represents pretty much a flat plane and the day was bright, just short of sunny.

I understand you last comment well but this was the first foray with this camera and I was going to a new place that I may not visit again so I chose a tried and trusted lens and on Nikon's advice, I selected Auto.

On the D2X there is no Auto. I am familiar with the nested command structure used in these cameras but this first time with the D5500, I really wanted to be safe! So much for that then.

okulo

...Also wondering why using an FX lens with DX camera?

What's wrong with that? I used two D70 for ten years each with a different FX lens. The only issue, if you can even call it that, is to bear in mind that a DX sensor's reduced size compared to an FX sensor will affect the effective (not actual) focal length. But as we are talking about DSLRs, we can see what we are shooting - so what is the problem?

Using a DX lens on an FX camera might be more problematic as the image will be cropped.

SHAkers718

@okulo @crb999 - did I say there was "something wrong" with it? did I say there was a "problem"? Or did I simply say I was "wondering why"? Perhaps there was a compatibility issue with a brand new DX camera and an older FX lens. IDK. I replied to the OP with what I hoped would be a useful response, some of which included additional questions. From what I'm seeing, I was the only who even tried to help out. I wasn't trying to start a debate with you, but it seems to me you were. Also it seems to me that this was the wrong thread for the OP to have posted his question (beginning at #61 to now) and he might have been better served with an original thread. [MENTION=6277]Don Kuykendall[/MENTION]

D12345678

Central Coast, NSW, Australia

DSC_0079.JPG

threadartist

Hello everyone. I'm brand new here and also a brand new owner of a D5500. Prior experience with pictures through my phone so trying to learn as fast as I can. I've had the camera for about 5 days and most shots are blurry. I'm using the auto setting and the lens is set on auto as well. Should I take the lens off of auto and always manually focus? And if so why have an auto in the first place. I tried to upload a picture but I keep getting a error. It's a 2meg picture so maybe that is too large to upload.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Hello everyone. I'm brand new here and also a brand new owner of a D5500. Prior experience with pictures through my phone so trying to learn as fast as I can. I've had the camera for about 5 days and most shots are blurry. I'm using the auto setting and the lens is set on auto as well. Should I take the lens off of auto and always manually focus? And if so why have an auto in the first place. I tried to upload a picture but I keep getting a error. It's a 2meg picture so maybe that is too large to upload.

Welcome!

Yes, there is a size limit on photos. Resize to 1000 on the long side and try again.

Is the VR turned on? It's hard to troubleshoot without a photo.

crb999

So, got some pix here I want your informed comment on please but still trying to get them uploaded! I'm thrashing around a bit.

No! Can't find the method.

I'll go and thrash around some more.

Regards

Chris

Sandpatch

What kind of light are you shooting in threadartist? We sometimes find that new owners are attempting shots in light that's too low to offset with high ISO, wide open aperture and low shutter speeds. You have an excellent camera and an excellent group of people here on Nikonites that will help you out. Welcome!

Sandpatch

First of all, your compositions are excellent! I enjoyed seeing your gallery.

To address the blurriness, others will likely be able to offer more help than I, but are you shooting in JPEG Fine? That will give you the highest sharpness. Also, check your Sharpness setting -- many owners ramp this up several notches from center.

I noticed too that you're shooting at very high shutter speeds between 1/1000 and 1/4000 which is excessive in these views. I'd suggest something near 1/500 or even 1/250 for these. At 1/500 and with VR on and a steady hand, images should be sharp. Choosing such a high shutter speed is also causing the camera to select a very high ISO at 1600, which is much too high for your beautiful bright scenes. With lower shutter speeds, you should be seeing ISOs in the 100 to 200 range which will also yield much improved quality. You may want to check your minimum ISO setting in the camera too, to be sure its set to achieve 100 if it wants to. In summary, settings in the general range of 1/500, f/8, ISO 200 for your photos should be appearing, and be sure to save everything in JPEG Fine.

If you have your Mode Dial set to Auto and you're using a Nikon-compatible lens, I'm puzzled as to why your camera is choosing such extreme settings, but you now have a few things to check.

Hope this somehow helps. Enjoy your D5500!

crb999

Hi Sandpatch, thank you for your observations, they are extremely valuable.

I initially set the ISO high to ensure I would get a shot in all circumstances. When I first got the camera and experimented, the ISO was at 400 and the flash would often pop up. I did not want that!

Now, I am familiar with and rather like the graininess you can get by pushing the ISO back in the chemical days but are you telling me that I may be confusing ISO 1600 grain for lack of focus?

It is possible, I'm a Doddery old bugger whose eyes have seen better days.

I'll set about the next batch of pictures with a much lower ISO setting and see what happens.

My very first 20 pictures were with the camera set at 'Auto' and the results were awful! Significantly out of focus!

It was that I suppose that pushed me in the fast shutter high ISO direction. You've given me plenty to think about and experiment with, thank you.

Regards

Chris

Sandpatch

I guess my thoughts with the high ISO was that you're probably best served to go back to basic settings and be sure that you can get sharp pictures. Then with that confirmed, you can experiment with more extreme settings.

But, I'd first be sure you're shooting in JPEG Large and Fine and that your Sharpness setting is made high on the scale.

I did some time in darkrooms as well (just as a hobbiest, not pro) and sometimes liked Tri-X because of the artistic quality of its 400 ASA grain. Tho, I was primarily a Plus-X guy.

Last edited:

crb999

Hi, I would have posted these to my [email protected] album but I can't find it! Any clues how to navigate here gratefully received :)

Regards

Chris

Attachments

• CRB_0021-1024x683.JPG
    CRB_0021-1024x683.JPG
    270.7 KB · Views: 183
  • 9194012-1024x678.jpg
    9194012-1024x678.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 159
  • 9194011-1024x678.jpg
    9194011-1024x678.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 173