Better Than Georgia O'Keeffe Photographic Representations of O'Keeffe's Paintings

wthorson

Georgia O'Keeffe painted many pictures of the mountains around her house. When I saw this image, I knew that it would be a better than Georgia photo. I really like the shadows that the low sun formed. I also like the many deep colors that show on the hills this time of year.
Mountain at White Rock Bay Georgia O'Keeffe Style.jpg

wthorson

Georgia painted many close ups of orchids. This one is a favorite of mine because of the beautiful colors. This is a macro shot of the purple orchid that I grew all by myself.
Purple Orchid.jpg

wthorson

We went to the Tulip Festival today. There were many FABULOUS flowers including poppies which were one of Georgia's favorites to paint. So therefore, I took many, many photo's of all of the beautiful flowers. When I saw this yellow poppy, I knew that it would be in my Georgia O'Keeffe thread.
Yellow Poppie.jpg

wthorson

Georgia would have loved the Thanksgiving Point Tulip Festival. There were sooooo many awesome flowers. I know that this doesn't look like a typical tulip but yes it's a tulip.
Yellow and Red Tulip.jpg

wthorson

This is the season for a plethora of iris'. I went to Thanksgiving Point between rain showers. There was no one there and it was beautiful to be able to get the shots of the iris' without having to be shoulder to shoulder with someone. I like being able to get the nice shots in the evening sunlight.
Purple Iris.jpg

wthorson

Georgia painted many Red Poppies, so when I found this nice red poppy, I knew that it was going to be on the Better Than... thread. This was taken in a garden at Thanksgiving Point, with evening sunlight.
Red Poppy.jpg

wthorson

I finally found a Peach colored iris. This is my favorite color, and I like it. I don't think that Georgia ever painted a Peach Colored Iris, but I think that she would approve.
Peach Iris.jpg

wthorson

An Open Red Poppy. I think that this looks better than Georgia's "Red Poppy" Oil on Canvas, because her's had a white background. I really like the natural green background because of the great contrast.
Open Red Poppy.jpg

wthorson

I don't know what kind of flower this is but I thought that the colors and form were beautiful.

Attachments

• Green and Purple Flower Bud.jpg
    Green and Purple Flower Bud.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 388

RON_RIP

I am liking the peach one best Wendy. But i think that the poppy and this last one are more especially reminiscent of O'Keefe. Just pulled 3 books on Georgia from the Library and am blown away by all her work. That she could move from the abstract to the more realistic rendering of a subject so effortlessly is simply amazing. I may try some architectural and landscape photos in her style. Photography played a huge role in her development as an artist and we, of course, are the beneficiaries of her vision.

wthorson

Thanks Ron, I really like the Peach Iris too. That is a great idea to go to the library and see what more I can find out about O'Keefe. I remember when I was in College, I did an art project in the O'keefe style. Back then I HAD to go to the library to get information, and I was overwhelmed by her many great projects. I have a long road ahead of me to be able to get shots like her many works.

RON_RIP

Thanks Ron, I really like the Peach Iris too. That is a great idea to go to the library and see what more I can find out about O'Keefe. I remember when I was in College, I did an art project in the O'keefe style. Back then I HAD to go to the library to get information, and I was overwhelmed by her many great projects. I have a long road ahead of me to be able to get shots like her many works.
There is a Georgia O'Keefe Museum in Santa Fe that houses several thousand pieces of her work and they publish a book with 350 of her pieces depicted. I am adding a trip to that Museum to my bucket list,