How Am I Doing So Far?

mellie1984

I upgraded this week from a Coolpix P100 to a D3200. I haven't done very many shots so far, but I'll show two here. The first is much better as far as focus than the first, but I'm not 100% as to why. The first was shot with a 18-55 lens and the second was shot with a 55-200 lens. Any critiques on these photos, or comments/suggestions on the camera or lens in general? Also, is there some other place I should be uploading these photos within this site? Again, I'm fairly new to the site.Thanks!
4987692_bcirtyz259_m.jpg4989905_cklnpqst06_m.jpg

Lawrence

Congrats on the upgrade! You are going to be happy with that.
Your first photo is really sharp and once again proves what an underrated lens the "kit" lens is. Great shot.
The second one is not so much out of focus in my opinion as opposed to incorrectly focused. Did you focus on the birds eye? The depth of field looks very shallow and maybe a smaller aperture would sharpen it up.
To answer your question - you are doing great.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Congratulations on your new toy. Oh, don't forget to update your profile.

Why don't you can create your own 365 thread? That way we can see your progress all in one place.

Roy1961

Contributor
hello and welcome, as Marilynne said the best way to learn is open a 365 thread and post your everyday shots in there, people will add their comments and tips to help you, they certainly helped me big time, enjoy your new camera and have fun shooting.

mellie1984

Thanks so much! I thought I was focusing on the eye, but birds move really fast so it's obviously possible that my focus slipped. I don't know if my settings show up with the photo or not but I used the following:
Camera:Nikon Corporation NIKON D3200
Exposure:0.001 sec (10/10000)
Aperture:f/5.6
ISO Speed:400
Focal Length:200 mm

Congrats on the upgrade! You are going to be happy with that.
Your first photo is really sharp and once again proves what an underrated lens the "kit" lens is. Great shot.
The second one is not so much out of focus in my opinion as opposed to incorrectly focused. Did you focus on the birds eye? The depth of field looks very shallow and maybe a smaller aperture would sharpen it up.
To answer your question - you are doing great.

mellie1984

I've already updated my profile, thank you. I've got my 365 project link in my profile but was not aware of a 365 thread on this site. I will have to find it. Thanks for the tip!

Congratulations on your new toy. Oh, don't forget to update your profile.

Why don't you can create your own 365 thread? That way we can see your progress all in one place.

Vixen

My guess is that as it was taken at a focal length of 200mm, and likely hand held & not on a tripod, you are zoomed in so even the teeniest of movement will cause slight blurring....just breathing even :D

fotojack

Yup, doin' good so far, mellie. Keep it up. :) And what Vixen said is most likely the problem with the off focus issue with the bird. :) Use a tripod, turn off VR, and fire away! :)