First shot With A Tokina 11-16mm AT-X DX

Joseph Bautsch

I just got an 11-16mm Tokina AT-X DX f/2.8, and this is the very first shot with it. This is taken in downtown Atlanta, Hard Rock Cafe at 10 pm. The EXIF data: D90, 11-16mm Tokina, ISO 200, f/20, Focal Length 16mm, Tripod Mounted, Shutter Speed 8.0 sec., Auto White Balance, Aperture Priority, Adobe RGB, No filters just the lens.

_DSC0489.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

Yup, I'm hopin' for a wide angle myself. This one looks like a good alternative to the uber expensive Nikon lens. Great shot, Joseph. 8 second bulb shot, eh? Interesting, and at f20. Nice. :)

Joseph Bautsch

Thanks for the comments guys. It's appreciated. I'm looking around for a decent composition for 11mm. I'll probably go back to downtown Atlanta where I can shoot some of the tall buildings up close. With their straight, vertical and horizontal lines it should give me a good idea of the lenses distortion. I'll post what I get. As to the exposure I was looking for the maximum depth of field. I was only about 15 feet from being directly under the sign. At f/20 at that distance the near limit DOF was 1.83 feet to infinity at the far limit. That guaranteed that everything in the shot from 1.83 feet in front of me to infinity would be in focus. Since nothing in the shot was moving, the sign dosen't blink or flash, an 8 sec. timed exposure tripod mounted was not a problem.

Rick M

In debateing my next lenses, I think I've read every review between the Tokina 11-16 and Nikon 10-24. "Pro" reviews seem to be split, and the problem with user reviews is everyone likes what they happen to own. I finally decided that the only way to decide is to just look at images. I was leaning towards the Nikon 10-24 for range, but now that I also plan to get a 16-85, the Tokina would be a logical compliment. So long story short, I look forward to seeing more of your work and thoughts.

Joseph Bautsch

No I haven't done any more shooting with the lens. My son bought a 30 year old house and Iv'e been re-wiring it and up dating the kitchen. That's about taken up all of my time recently. I do plan on using it extensively on our trip to Alaska in the next couple of weeks.

The above picture has had a lot of post processing, it's been cropped, and a number of defects and distractions have been cloned out. No distortion adjustments have been made. Attached is the original shot untouched:

_DSC0490.jpg

Rick M

Actually I like this shot untoched also!. I'll be looking forward to your Alaska images, that will be a great oppertunity for using this lens.

Joseph Bautsch

This will be my second trip to Alaska. The first time I was there three weeks, this trip I will be there five weeks, and will include a trip to the Arctic Circle and a week touring the Kenai Peninsula. Hopefully this time it won't rain as much.

Dave, your shots look like Mendenhall Glacier. I tried to get the same shot with the reflections in the water but it was raining and the wind was disturbing the water. Maybe this time I will have better luck. Very good shots both of them.

Joseph Bautsch

Oh, absolutely I will have my laptop. I use the laptop to down the photos taken each day, sometimes as many as 900, to a hard drive. I will have access to the internet in a few spots (some hotels will have wi-fi). I will keep in touch as often as I can.

ChrisM

Oh, absolutely I will have my laptop. I use the laptop to down the photos taken each day, sometimes as many as 900, to a hard drive. I will have access to the internet in a few spots (some hotels will have wi-fi). I will keep in touch as often as I can.

I wanna go!!! Fly through Charleston and pick me up, lol ;)

Mike150

I was just comparing both of your shots, Joseph's. What amazed me is that he was able to "Erase" an entire Atlanta Skyscraper. Did you erase the people in the buildings too? I'll bet that P!$$ed them off. Actually, I really liked both of them, but your edited photo removed all of the distractions. I'm a night photography rookie. I've only done fireworks with limited success. Hard to do much when the only thing here that is open after dark is the Burger King and McDonalds.

I cant post this without telling Dave I really liked his shots too. Both are very good, but like Jen said, the glacier with the reflections is my favorite also.