+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    Staff
    Super Mod
    hark's Avatar

    Re: Shutter Shock

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
    The D7000 was famous for mirror slap. I did some experiments when I had one and found I could get sharper pictures when using the Quiet mode even with shutter speeds around 1/125s.
    Using a remote shutter release doesn't prevent the shutter slap. If the tripod is not sturdy enough, the wind could cause similar effects. But using mirror up mode PLUS shutter delay could help you pinpoint the real cause for your concern. It's a simple enough test to do.

    Keep us informed of your findings, it could help many others.
    Your comment makes me wonder if the OP is already using Quiet Mode. Isn't there kind of a double slap sound with the shutter actuation and the delayed mirror? I've never used a D7000 so don't know how Quiet Mode sounds with that body - I'm simply remembering how it's worked on other bodies.


    › See More: Shutter Shock
    Cindy
    Flickr
    and My 2020 Thread

    Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art
    -- Leonardo da Vinci





  2. #12
    Happy to be Canadian
    Super Mod
    Marcel's Avatar

    Re: Shutter Shock

    Quote Originally Posted by hark View Post
    Your comment makes me wonder if the OP is already using Quiet Mode. Isn't there kind of a double slap sound with the shutter actuation and the delayed mirror? I've never used a D7000 so don't know how Quiet Mode sounds with that body - I'm simply remembering how it's worked on other bodies.
    The double slap you are talking about is simply that the mirror goes up and down slower in Q mode. It's quieter, but still cause vibration. This is why the shutter delay function is so important. It makes the camera wait after the mirror goes up and this usually gives time to the whole assembly to stop moving if the camera is on a sturdy tripod.
    I'm beginning to see the LIGHT!
    Please visit my Gallery and my Flickr Gallery

  3. #13
    Staff
    Super Mod
    hark's Avatar

    Re: Shutter Shock

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
    The double slap you are talking about is simply that the mirror goes up and down slower in Q mode. It's quieter, but still cause vibration. This is why the shutter delay function is so important. It makes the camera wait after the mirror goes up and this usually gives time to the whole assembly to stop moving if the camera is on a sturdy tripod.

    But I'm wondering if that second slap of the mirror closing is what's causing the vibration after the image was taken.
    Cindy
    Flickr
    and My 2020 Thread

    Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art
    -- Leonardo da Vinci



  4. #14
    Senior Member
    480sparky's Avatar

    Re: Shutter Shock

    Quote Originally Posted by hark View Post
    But I'm wondering if that second slap of the mirror closing is what's causing the vibration after the image was taken.
    The second slap is the front shutter curtain opening.
    Don't mind me... I'm out roaming around somewhere between Zone III and VII.


    Go forth and actuate!


    My Website.

  5. #15
    Staff
    Super Mod
    hark's Avatar

    Re: Shutter Shock

    Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    The second slap is the front shutter curtain opening.
    That isn't what I was talking about. When in Quiet Mode, the mirror slap is slowed down - delayed slightly. When the mirror closes (which is the second time the mirror slaps), it is slightly delayed after the shutter is finished. That's what I meant. Sorry - I certainly thought my comment was easily understood when I specifically said the second slap of the mirror closing. I didn't stop at the second slap.
    Cindy
    Flickr
    and My 2020 Thread

    Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art
    -- Leonardo da Vinci



  6. #16
    Senior Member
    480sparky's Avatar

    Re: Shutter Shock

    Quote Originally Posted by hark View Post
    That isn't what I was talking about. When in Quiet Mode, the mirror slap is slowed down - delayed slightly. When the mirror closes (which is the second time the mirror slaps), it is slightly delayed after the shutter is finished. That's what I meant. Sorry - I certainly thought my comment was easily understood when I specifically said the second slap of the mirror closing. I didn't stop at the second slap.
    If the mirror is coming down, the shutter is closed. So that cannot affect the image.
    Don't mind me... I'm out roaming around somewhere between Zone III and VII.


    Go forth and actuate!


    My Website.

  7. #17
    Senior Member

    Re: Shutter Shock

    It's more than likely your tripod. Does it have a hook on the bottom of the center pole? If so, fill a plastic shopping bag with weight (bean bags, anything that adds more weight than bulk) and hang it from the hook. The more weight the less it should shake.
    Thanks/Like RobV Thanks/liked this post
    Best Answers RobV voted best answer for this post
     
    Jake
    (formerly backdoorhippie)

  8. #18
    Staff
    Super Mod
    hark's Avatar

    Re: Shutter Shock

    Obviously I failed to be really detailed with my explanation, so here goes....

    The OP is using a remote shutter release. The mirror goes up. That itself can cause a vibration. The shutter opens. The vibration may very well be continuing at this point. The shutter closes. The mirror goes down and causes additional vibration which may be apparent visually afterwards (which is what I was addressing but obviously didn't make clear). The image winds up showing signs of vibration - most likely caused by the first mirror slap - or wind - or possibly because the VR was left on.

    As others have mentioned, put weights on your tripod to secure it to prevent any shaking from wind or mirror slap. Make sure your VR is turned off because that can cause motion blur when VR isn't required - using VR when your camera is on a tripod is a no-no. Did I miss anything this time?
    Cindy
    Flickr
    and My 2020 Thread

    Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art
    -- Leonardo da Vinci







Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

Similar Threads

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •