nikkor AF 50mm-1.8f

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
How many shots did you stitch together, did you use a tripod?

It was 11 shots assembled with Autopano Pro. I took them handheld (Aperture Priority, ISO 200, f2.0, 1/8) leaning into the side of a building and up against a wrought iron fence. Because the image is small, some of the lack of sharpness isn't too obvious. I also sharpened in Photoshop using the Lab/Lightness approach which helped considerably. I was VERY lucky too.

Browncoat

Just picked up this lens for a steal...$78. A local camera store was having a clearance sale.

Apparently the local photographers don't know a good deal when they see one!

Snap Happy

I just got the 50 mm 1.8 and it has given my D200 a new life in low light. You will be so happy with the lens, it's sharp as a tack! I'm saving my pennies for the 85 mm, gotta love the primes.

Coudn't agree more, you made a wise choice. Nothing beats the Prime lens!

goz63

Wow, that is a great price. I bought mine used for $90 and thought I got a good deal. I love mine! Having fast glass is addicting.
Mark

Curt

The nikkor 50mm. is a great prime lens, and you can't beat the price:). As shape as a $2000,00 or better. Everyone with a nikon camera should have one in their bag.

Browncoat

Everyone with a nikon camera should have one in their bag.

Yup, couldn't agree more! With a $100 price tag, this is the best investment I've made for my photography to date. Everyone, no matter what you like to shoot, can benefit from having this lens.

goz63

I really started to use mine this weekend. I thought I would use it occasionally when low light was an issue. I find now that it is becoming my go to lens. Very sharp, a great focal length in the DX format and crystal clear. Seems to sit on my camera more and more.

zx7dave

So I am a huge Nikon fan...but after plenty of research and thought I passed on the Nikon 1.8 & 1.4 and went with a Sigma 50mm 1.4 ex dc hsm for my D300S...this was the first time I have ever strayed from the Nikon brand...however I do like the larger glass in the Sigma.
I have the Nikon 35mm 1.8 G lens for my D3000 so I had a idea of what the Nikon 50 would be like. How many of you are Nikon pure and don't even consider other lenses?
So now the savings begins for my next lesns the Nikon 2.8 24-70mm which unfortunately costs more than my D300S did *sigh*....but sure will be nice to have. Another lens I am considering is the Sigma 50-500mm 4.5-6.3. Will need much light for this lens but thought it might be good for sporting events as most I go to are outdoors and have plenty of light....in the past I have used my 18-200 Nikon at the full telephoto (F/5.6) and had enough light to shoot at 1/2000 for stopping motion....

I have to say that I'm rather picky with the lenses that hang on my camera. I have the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, which has excellent reviews, and in my opinion is definitely a great lens.
That being said, that's the only non-Nikkor lens I own. I MIGHT be purchasing a 17-50mm f/2.8 lens from Sigma based on the reviews. That would complete my coverage from 11-200mm at f/2.8 - which should keep me happy for a good long while.

Fen

Everyone with a nikon camera should have one in their bag.

Totally agree. It's good practice to go out only with this lens (and the camera of course ;) ). Forces you to view at the single focal length. It's amazing what you can see when do you don't have the option of zooming

zx7dave

I do like the specs on the Sigma 17-50 2.8.....and for the price a good investment...guess since I am looking at owning this for the next 20 years I will try to hold out for the 24-70 Nikon even though it is more than twice the cost...

I have to say that I'm rather picky with the lenses that hang on my camera. I have the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, which has excellent reviews, and in my opinion is definitely a great lens.
That being said, that's the only non-Nikkor lens I own. I MIGHT be purchasing a 17-50mm f/2.8 lens from Sigma based on the reviews. That would complete my coverage from 11-200mm at f/2.8 - which should keep me happy for a good long while.