WreckDiver1321's Daily Photos - Attempt 2!

wreckdiver1321

Been facing a bit of dismay at my photos lately. I don't feel like I'm being creative enough at all, and my recent results aren't very pleasing. I feel like I need to pay more attention to the creative side of my shooting. Lately I've just been shooting for the sake of shooting instead of thinking creatively and shaking things up. I know everyone faces creative blocks, and I'm having a fairly huge one at the moment. I just feel like my recent stuff is really lackluster and not at all up to my own standards. I'll keep at it though. Hopefully things pick up again.

Last edited:

wreckdiver1321

Like Jake - I love catching up on this thread.
D3100 to D610 is a big leap - so envious.

Thanks man.

I have been thinking alot recently about where I want my shooting to go. I want the best quality and features I can get, and I have to admit, the very idea of going full frame is really attractive to me. I really want to take my photography to a whole new level, and I think full frame is one way of doing that. The D610's performance and capabilities are leaps and bounds ahead of the D3100, which is what I was wanting to do when I wanted the D7100. But the idea of full frame was always in the back of my head.

Then I watched a video from DigitalRev that put the whole DX vs FX argument in a new light. He said, "If you're always thinking about switching to FX, then just go ahead and get full frame. Because if you don't, you'll always be wondering."

Yep, that's about the size of it. I don't want to feel like I "settled" for a DX camera.

BackdoorArts

Shooting both I can tell you this, when I pick up the D7100 I honestly don't feel like I'm settling for anything when I use it. It's not as if I'm giving up IQ in any real quantity to gain a little reach. It's a great camera.

That said, looking at your photos and having a feel for your style, it screams full frame. There are very few photos in this thread or your last that point to a need for DX for the reach that it gives. I got a 3000 click D600 for less than I paid for my refurb D7100, sent it off to Nikon for the shutter advisory, and if it performs great then I'm set on the cheap, and if it doesn't I'll be happy to send it back for a D610 on the extreme cheap. Outside of the shutter issue there is nothing about the D600 I cannot recommend. So, if you're on a budget, look around for one with low mileage. It was my first FX body and I'm still thrilled with it.

wreckdiver1321

Shooting both I can tell you this, when I pick up the D7100 I honestly don't feel like I'm settling for anything when I use it. It's not as if I'm giving up IQ in any real quantity to gain a little reach. It's a great camera.

That said, looking at your photos and having a feel for your style, it screams full frame. There are very few photos in this thread or your last that point to a need for DX for the reach that it gives. I got a 3000 click D600 for less than I paid for my refurb D7100, sent it off to Nikon for the shutter advisory, and if it performs great then I'm set on the cheap, and if it doesn't I'll be happy to send it back for a D610 on the extreme cheap. Outside of the shutter issue there is nothing about the D600 I cannot recommend. So, if you're on a budget, look around for one with low mileage. It was my first FX body and I'm still thrilled with it.

I am very happy to hear that. I've heard so many great things about the D610 that I am quite sold on it. I love the features, the way it feels in my hands, the big, bright viewfinder, the 24 MP sensor. Granted, it has an AA filter, so it doesn't deliver images quite as sharp as the D7100, but the difference is really negligible. The advantages of full frame vs. crop sensor will suit my shooting style really well I think. The only thing I worry about is the AF system for my style of shooting, namely my street photography. It's quick and accurate, but the AF point coverage is a little lacking. That's not really enough to dissuade me though. I will be renting a D600 for a day from the local camera store just to be sure the AF will work for me, but I am pretty confident that it won't be a big issue.

wreckdiver1321

Just one shot to add today. I was on a walk last night around dusk when I saw this and grabbed a shot. I have no idea why this caught my eye, but I like the end result. I applied my version of a faded film effect, and I think it really works well here.

wreckdiver1321

Bonus!!!

The light from the sun going down over my front lawn just a few minutes ago was fantastic, so I had to get a shot of something. I didn't really have any subjects, so... I just knelt down in the grass until I found this shot.

wreckdiver1321

Brilliant shots - love the cockpit ones
You have a great ability to see the potential of B&W

Thank you my friend.

Love that old Beechcraft!! I had a coffee mug with a Bonanza on it going back 35 years, maybe more. Great plane, great shots!!

Thanks! My dad loves it to death. He took us up while we were there, that was a blast. He's had it for several years now, and he really enjoys taking it camping. Montana is littered with airstrips in the wilderness, and he's been heavily involved with preserving access to them. He's currently president of the Montana Pilots Association, which is dedicated to that kind of thing. He is known in that scene as "that crazy bastard who takes his Bonanza off road." :)

BackdoorArts

Thanks! My dad loves it to death. He took us up while we were there, that was a blast. He's had it for several years now, and he really enjoys taking it camping. Montana is littered with airstrips in the wilderness, and he's been heavily involved with preserving access to them. He's currently president of the Montana Pilots Association, which is dedicated to that kind of thing. He is known in that scene as "that crazy bastard who takes his Bonanza off road." :)

I know Montana is a big place, but I think he needs to pay DaveW a visit and take him up. :)