Where to buy D7100

Horoscope Fish

You can also think about it this way. When you buy a new camera, you're buying something that hasn't been tested in the real world yet... with a refurb, it's problem has already been discovered... and fixed. ;) That's partly tongue-in-cheek, but just partly.
A factory refurb has been checked over the the Quality Assurance team not just once, but twice.

Tyler

A factory refurb has been checked over the the Quality Assurance team not just once, but twice.

That is good to know! My only thing is the warranty. I saw that adorama offers 90 days I believe. I've never had a camera worked on so Idk how much that kind of stuff costs out of warranty.

Tyler

I got my 18-105 as a refurbished. It works great and I can see no signs of it being used at all. I think it was a store's demo model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I'm debating on what lens I want to go with. I thought about that one or the 18-140 but I'm kind of leaning towards the tamron 17-50 2.8

Pretzel

That is good to know! My only thing is the warranty. I saw that adorama offers 90 days I believe. I've never had a camera worked on so Idk how much that kind of stuff costs out of warranty.

I know Cameta warranties their refurbs for a full year, but they're currently out of the D7100 refurbs. :(

I got my 18-105 as a refurbished. It works great and I can see no signs of it being used at all. I think it was a store's demo model.

Ditto, but mine was the 70-300 as a refurb. I didn't get the fancy gold box, but everything else looked and acted brand new, plus I had a full year warranty from Cameta. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a factory refurb again in the future, as long as the price difference is worth it.

Horoscope Fish

That's a valid concern... The warranty on refurbs TENDS to be 90 days. I'm sure there are exceptions, however.

Costs of repair? Well, bear in mind that, most likely, you will be paying shipping both ways. Repair costs, of course, are impossible to estimate but think of it like taking your car in to your mechanic. I mean, you KNOW you're not going to get off "cheaply", if you know what I mean. It's going to be a matter of, "How bad is it?" The warranty is something you hope you never need.

bigal1000

I am looking into possibly buying a D7100 within the next few weeks and wondering where to buy it.

Amazon wants around $1100 for just the body where as other websites have them for as low as around $750 and they say it is new. My only concern is that they may not be new or may be grey market. The only local camera store to me is Mikes Camera and they want my future children for it.

Anyone know why there is such a big price difference with them? I am looking to get it with preferably the 18-140 but possibly would go for the 18-105 as I have heard they are both good lenses.

TIA

Anything under $1100 brand new should run up a red flag. "CAVEAT EMPTOR" Good Luck..........Buy from the $750 guy and watch what happens !!

Last edited:

carguy

I always try to go through my local camera store first. I didn't want to pay full MSRP for a new body and my store didn't have any refurb D7100 bodies available. I ended up at Roberts for a Nikon refurb body.

Great advice so far. Stick with the big name sources. If it seems too good to be true, it is.

Also, regarding Amazon, be sure you know who you are buying from THROUGH Amazon. Amazon is like ebay now, anyone can sell their goods through the Amazon system. Always research before you click the trigger :)

AudiSportB5S4

Hey Tyler! Saw your quote of my car in the best of 7100 thread.. Don't hesitate picking up the camera, it's awesome. Worth every penny if you get out there and are passionate about shooting.

Let's see the car! Are you on QW/AZ?

Also, I'd recommend B&H

Tyler

Hey Tyler! Saw your quote of my car in the best of 7100 thread.. Don't hesitate picking up the camera, it's awesome. Worth every penny if you get out there and are passionate about shooting.

Let's see the car! Are you on QW/AZ?

Also, I'd recommend B&H

I'm pretty decided on getting a refurb unit and cannot wait!

I'm on AZ as Tyler S4 I don't have any pictures on my phone right now but check out the last few pages on the santorin thread I have a few shots in there. I believe most if not all were shot with my 3100 with the 18-55 kit lens. I may have shot some with my 50mm 1.8g.

carguy

I'm pretty decided on getting a refurb unit and cannot wait!

I'm on AZ as Tyler S4 I don't have any pictures on my phone right now but check out the last few pages on the santorin thread I have a few shots in there. I believe most if not all were shot with my 3100 with the 18-55 kit lens. I may have shot some with my 50mm 1.8g.
Just be sure it is a Manufacturer refurbished body and not a third party refurb. Should be clearly stated :)

Tyler

I still have myself contemplating on just getting a refurbed d600 but not sure if I want to make that price jump from a refurbed D7100.

Sharin

I'm contemplating the 7100 also. Let us know who you buy from and how much you wind up paying. I'm curious.
Thanks.

Tyler

I'm contemplating the 7100 also. Let us know who you buy from and how much you wind up paying. I'm curious.
Thanks.

I'm thinking on getting one from mikes camera. They are 1149 right now for a new one but that $50 off sale ends today. The reason I'm leaning towards mikes camera is that they are local to me and with the purchase of a 7100 you get a bunch of various prints and 2 photography classes which I feel would be very valuable to me as a somewhat beginner.

I'm looking to buy towards the end of february so I'm going to keep an eye on their sales and when I'm ready to buy ask if there are any sales coming up if there isn't one.

Last edited:

rikman

All the camera stores around here all mikes camera there are a few of them around denver. There is another one called like denver pro photo or something like that but I've heard that certain mikes cameras are better. I guess a few years back there were a whole bunch of camera stores around here.

Okay so sounds like I'm staying away from the too good to be true and non reputable sellers. Thanks for the heads up guys! I knew there had to be something up with it.

I saw that adorama has a refurbished d7100 for 929 which sounds pretty good but I'm kinda skeptical on buying reburb. At least with spending that kind of money where I could get a new one for a little more. However most things on the site I have read with peoples experiences with nikon refurbished stuff have been very good.

Don't sweat refurbs ... It's all brand new. I've bought many expensive lenses refurb & they're all like brand new & my D600. Buy with confidence from Adorama, b&h, cameta, amazon

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Sharin

Thanks, Tyler. I think I might try my local camera shop as well, just to see what they'll offer as a competitive rate to what I can find online.

In the past though my experience has been that they can't compete. They cite having to pay rent, utilities, etc, etc... They usually offer to throw in a few extras for "free." The only problem is that I don't need what they're offering: a bag or a kit lens or a strap. What I need is a spare battery; they don't offer that.

Thanks for responding.

Last edited:

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks, Tyler. I think I might try my local camera shop as well, just to see what they'll offer as a competitive rate to what I can find online.

In the past though my experience has been that they can't compete. They cite having to pay rent, utilities, etc, etc... They usually offer to throw in a few extras for "free." The only problem is that I don't need what they're offering: a bag or a kit lens or a strap. What I need is a spare battery; they don't offer that.

Thanks for responding.

My local camera store had the battery for $5 more than online and I got it the same day.