Web Reviews: The New Nikon 85 1.8G

Eye-level

Banned
Depending on the subject and distance a lot of times I use the live view magnify the subject focus the shot and shoot it...works pretty good a lot of the time...when I use the electronic rangefinder I spin it until I get the dot and then shoot around that dot but you have to be careful and not get to jerky with your movements...MF lenses are EASY to use successfully...believe it or not there used to be a time when AF wasn't known to mankind and plenty of fine snaps were made back then...and actually MF is a helluva lot easier to do nowdays IMO...

Last edited:
1) By the pricing I see you got the manual focus lens. How do you focus while looking through viewfinder, using focus indicator?
Hi Alex,

I had and used those three lenses before: Nikkor 35mm 1.4 AI-S and 85mm 1.4 AI-S, and Canon FD 85mm 1.2L.

What most of photographers don't know about them is they even brighter than humman eyesight. Those lenses are much clearer (4 times) than 50mm 1.4 whose brightness is the same as human eyesight. You can see that clearly when taking pictures indoor or lowlight environment.

Therefore, even focusing them (those lense 85mm 1.4 or 1.2) manually is not a big deal at all. You can do it easily without any help from the chip.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Well I got the lens this morning. What a fast service from Amazon.ca (ordered friday 3.15pm).

Here's a 100% crop of my counter cleaning rag that was drying outside on my clothesline. D7000 @ 1.4. I'm impressed, really.

Rokinon 1.4 100% crop.jpg

westmill

Banned
Well I got the lens this morning. What a fast service from Amazon.ca (ordered friday 3.15pm).

Here's a 100% crop of my counter cleaning rag that was drying outside on my clothesline. D7000 @ 1.4. I'm impressed, really.

View attachment 10171
Impressive indeed ! I guesed it would be. The older D lens was superb, so you can expect the later model to be even better. Wicked !!!!

Eye-level

Banned
Have you all looked at the fast 35 from Rokinon??? It all has me thinking about a Rokinon kit real hard...I believe they are all FX lenses too is that right???

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
For those interested, here is a quick and dirty comparison shot done with the Rokinon @ 1.8 and the 85 1.8 D @ 1.8. No sharpening 100% crop of the center of the frame of D700.

Rokinon Rokinon 85 1.4 @ 1.8.jpg

Nikkor Nikkor 85 1.8 @ 1.8.jpg

Mister

Hi Marcel, I was just wondering, are you awere that you have to stand back about four feet away from the subject for the lens in order to focus properly? With the Rokinon it looks like you focused more towards the back, and with the Nikkor more towards the front, that's why the letters look more sharp/focused. Do you happen to have the original photos?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Marcel, I was just wondering, are you awere that you have to stand back about four feet away from the subject for the lens in order to focus properly? With the Rokinon it looks like you focused more towards the back, and with the Nikkor more towards the front, that's why the letters look more sharp/focused. Do you happen to have the original photos?

Yes I do have the originals. I only made them 100% and then cropped. But I was standing and did NOT use a tripod and I used autofocus with the Nikkor D. With the Rokinon, I brought the focus to it's minimum distance and then moved in and out until I had the confirmation dot in the viewfinder.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Here's a larger crop from both:

Rokinon
_MCC6533.jpg

Nikkor
_MCC6534.jpg

What I notice is that the Bokeh is much smoother with the Rokinon compared to the Nikkor 1.8 D.

Mister

Cool! The rokinon is defenitely cleaner and sharper. How do you happen to have your color balance set up? I think your D7000 needs a little more color. I have mine at STANDARD, SHARPNESS +1, SATURATION +1.

Try this and use your external flash(if you have one) pointing up to the ceiling.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Cool! The rokinon is defenitely cleaner and sharper. How do you happen to have your color balance set up? I think your D7000 needs a little more color. I have mine at STANDARD, SHARPNESS +1, SATURATION +1.

Try this and use your external flash(if you have one) pointing up to the ceiling.

I usually use raw and don't worry about these settings. I sharpen and add saturation at post production. But in this case, the picture is straight raw file just resized for web.

But so far, I'm more than impressed with this little wonder. I was used to heavy 2.8 zooms, so it's a charm to work with this one.

View attachment 10171
It's really sharp, Marcel. Did you try it with f/2.8 and slower apertures? Because I found it get achromatic color when taking pictures in back light just like my 180mm at f/2.8.

For those interested, here is a quick and dirty comparison shot done with the Rokinon @ 1.8 and the 85 1.8 D @ 1.8. No sharpening 100% crop of the center of the frame of D700.

Rokinon View attachment 10210

Nikkor View attachment 10211
Cannot tell much about them Marcel: Nikkor image taken a little bit over-exposured making it looks not sharp and clear as Rokinon. Secondly, different focus points of each images makes the sharpnesses of them look different. The image taken by Rokinon has focus point almost at the center of it. The one taken by Nikon has focus point a little bit closer.

Dave_W

The Dude
I received my copy of this lens about a month ago and absolutely love it. Used it the other night to photography my friends band in very low light. I can't wait to receive my copy of the new 28mm f/1.8G. I'm hoping it's miles better than the more expensive 24mm f/1.4 like this lens is compared to the f/1.4

amonamarth

Mojo, what body did you use for these? I really like the bokah, the computer screws on the first shot with a HDD look great.

There is no place like 127.0.0.1