Wanted: Cheap Prime telephoto

coolbus18

Well as I understand it, no. It is the angle of view that a given lens would be on a 35mm frame Angle of view. So the focal length hasn't changed but by cropping in camera you get --isolation. So when I use a given lens and a (multiplier) i.e. tc 201, 301, the focal length changes. Ergo($5 word) 360mm. Here's some info for Nikon. I hope I made sense, still wet behind the ears. :cool:

FX & DX Format Lenses Explained | Learn About FX Lenses & DX Cameras from Nikon

Enjoy!!!!

fotojack

Sure they do, 50 & 85mm are Excellent lenses and both 'cheap' relative to other great glass from Nikon being they are under $230 / $500 respectively :)

I believe the OP was talking about those big long prime lenses, not the inexpensive 50's and 85's. :) That's what I was referring to. :)

salukfan111

Then there are folks like me who seek out vintage glass. Yes some like the 300 F/2.8 or the 400 or 500(drool) or 800mm are indeed expensive but if you don't need that speed there are great buys in prime tele glass. I dig my 300mm f/4.5 ed if, is superb and on a TC-301 I have some long glass. The older Tamron 200-400mm ah ld is super and inexpensive and gives darn good results.Or the 100-300 ai mf lens. Super glass and cheap.They all work on my D7100 and on the F4s I get Matrix. Or the Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 Ai ed . A knock your socks off piece of glass. Put it on a TC-201 and voila! 360 mm of joyful sharpness and colorcast.

Just another way of finding good glass at inexpensive prices.:cool:
300mm f/4.5 does better with tc200

salukfan111

I believe the OP was talking about those big long prime lenses, not the inexpensive 50's and 85's. :) That's what I was referring to. :)
The best wildlife and sports pictures ever taken were done with a lens (300mm f/4.5 edif) that can be found on ebay for 200 bucks if you are patient. A 300m f/2.8 or 400mm f/3.5 could be picked up for 6 or 700 if patient.

D200freak

If you want something on the really cheap side I have a 300mm full manual Soligor prime focus lens that I'd sell you for 50 bucks. It's clear, no fungus or anything. When I got it, it was frozen solid. The lubricating grease had dried up and the aperture was sluggish. Those issues have been addressed.

It's not a bad lens, particularly not for 50 bucks. You might enjoy it.