Wanted: Cheap Prime telephoto

480sparky

Really, you have extreme clairvoiyance, given that I just haven't received/rejected any offer. Do you have an offer or something to suggest? If not just don't post bullshit...

Well, given that you haven't posted a budget number, it's gonna be difficult to know what you're really after. I figure it will take about 4 offers for us to start guessing that.

Andreugv1

I posted what I am after, price is the question here. If you post a lens I will make an offer, If I am looking for lenses, I want others to make me offers. If I say 3000 cap, you will expect that 3000 for a lens worth 2800, and I won't be willing to pay that.

mikew_RIP

Contemporary, I tried both and you can really tell the weight difference!

I would have loved to get the sport but the weight would have been too much,they say you have a great lens there but it can be made better if you research the dock settings,cant remember the details but worth a search.

Andreugv1

Yeah, actually the reviews don't say there is that big difference, and the price gap is something to keep in mind as well. The quicker AF is the only thing it made me doubt but trying it indoors worked great!

I will look for that stuff on the dock, but they didn't had any, and I will have to wait, and actually, it looks like I got the lens by luck, and there are not a lot of this for sale right now.

Blacktop

Lens bought, finally I ordered a new Sigma 150-600 mm. Thank you all!
You do know that's not a Prime lens? (since you were asking about primes and all)
May I ask where you bought it from, since I can't find anywhere that sells the Nikon mount Siggy C lens here in the US yet.

well I just purchased the old 150-500 and you will find the zoom usefull as birds are often not as far way as you think !!
Only problem is its not a subtle lens to carry ..more of a walk about the town and get robbed style .not easy to conceal under your coat !! .which is why I prefer the 80-400 tokina ..more subtle ...You do have an FX camera and it preforms better on that ...
Good luck with it F8-F11 is the way to go keeping the sun behind you...
And get that back focus spot on at as many points as the dock allows but run in the lens a little first.

Last edited:

480sparky

Lens bought, finally I ordered a new Sigma 150-600 mm. Thank you all!

Did someone say 'new'? Where have I heard that word before?
mw_hmmm.gif

Well then, just buy a new lens.

salukfan111

"Cheap" and "Prime lens" don't belong in the same sentence! :)
The sharpest lens from Nikon are all very affordable. They don't have vr or autofocus but that doesn't change the fact they're affordable. They don't ironface images either like the newer more expensive lens do.

coolbus18

Then there are folks like me who seek out vintage glass. Yes some like the 300 F/2.8 or the 400 or 500(drool) or 800mm are indeed expensive but if you don't need that speed there are great buys in prime tele glass. I dig my 300mm f/4.5 ed if, is superb and on a TC-301 I have some long glass. The older Tamron 200-400mm ah ld is super and inexpensive and gives darn good results.Or the 100-300 ai mf lens. Super glass and cheap.They all work on my D7100 and on the F4s I get Matrix. Or the Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 Ai ed . A knock your socks off piece of glass. Put it on a TC-201 and voila! 360 mm of joyful sharpness and colorcast.

Just another way of finding good glass at inexpensive prices.:cool: