Vincent 2015 as often as possible

Vincent

McLaren 650s wheel, this was my main shooting site last Sunday, not through all pictures yet:

20150125-MacLaren 650s Wheel.jpg

Vincent

Factory, no interesting cars in the garage so took the environment:

20150204-Factory.jpg

then in the evening after work I went in the forest:
20150204-wood log.jpg

I still went down to the river and took some pictures, but it was very dark and cold, did not get anything presentable.

Vincent

Horses pulling trees, a local guy organises this photoshoot, last year I did not find them, this year I was there in time, might be good for the monthly competition:

20150207-Debardage on arrive.jpg

Vincent

Firehose, out of theme (not shot with anything Nikon). One of my first shots with my new camera and a Hexanon 50mm f1.4 @2.8.

20150207-Old firehose carrier.jpg

Bought the camera from a firefighter.

Vincent

Garden around the block, out of theme (not shot with anything Nikon), this was a high ISO test with my new machine, ISO 102k, colors are gone at that level so used b&w, but I`m amazed what full frame can do.

20150213-_100k ISO b&w.jpg

I do believe that the crazy amount of money spent delivered something I will enjoy.

Vincent

Test of today, crazy hats:

D7000 + 50 f1.8 on tripod remote release

20150214-Nikon hats.jpg

FF + Konica 50mm f1.7 hand held shutter speed fixed auto ISO

20150214-Sony hats.jpg

I probably was a little closer with the FF. It does give a complete different view, something I have been struggling with.

Vincent

An older picture, Rally drivers:

20141011-Classic car rally drivers.jpg

I like your new Sony, Vincent! How is it fairing so far?

I was going to reserve this for the A7 thread:
- I have no issue with the ergonomics of the A7 series, using it for more artistic uses, the size or holding it is not that important.
- the small size does make it feel better for street photography, you blend in. At least I feel more comfortable.
- I mainly got it to use with my film camera lenses (Konica) and I love that use. I have no AF so no AF remarks. This also makes it a light solution.
- I also got it to use for high ISO, I put a TC 2X on my 500mm and shot at f13 (not exact with adapter) ISO 25600, works on a covered day.
- I have been testing extreme macro, I do need to add a light source it seems, but high ISO helps a lot.
- Documentation is terrible, even the forums are vague and incomplete.
- Battery life is not convincing at this moment, I took some measures to improve this.
- It is a modern camera, loaded with features, I think it complements very well an APS-C sports shooter. It seems that changing camera is OK for me, more then holding something even bigger then a D7000.

Edit: I think any camera makes good photos under the right conditions; but I forgot to mention:
1) I once accidentally took a black picture, accidentally changed from auto ISO to ISO 200 during the night: what I was able to recuperate was incredible. Even if my D7000 is strong in this, I did see a difference. So I do appreciate the extended dynamic range (my experience is limited in this).
2) Yesterday I did some selfies (actually auto-portraits), the skin tones are a lot more detailed then the D7000. The model was crap though I need to retake today.
=> in short, if you are nitpicking or make mistakes the sensor is fantastic, for the best pictures I personally think this is less important. Just like the 12MPix which some see as an issue, a D3s or D700 are still professional machines, just frame your picture correctly.

Last edited:

Vincent

No picture but an experience. Going for an artistic shoot in the local shopping mall I took the D70s with the 18-105 and the FF with a manual focus lens.
I missed the shot with the D70s, trusting the AF in an uncomfortable position, I noticed on the PC in the evening that the focus was on the wrong part in the picture, ruining it.
With the manual focus fixed lens I had to work more, adapt my position and subject to the lens, I had to make certain the focus was good, using the EVF focus magnifier, result I got just what I thought to get, a good picture.

Conclusion: even if it seems easier with the help we get from modern DSLRs, it is the work you put into the photo that makes it the way you want it.

Vincent

Crocuses, love it when they come out:

20150219-Crocuses.jpg

Shot some a few days ago but did not find the result acceptable. Not perfect here, but will do.