Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 PRO DX or Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 DC HSM or Nikon AF-S 10-24mm F3.5/4.

Geoffc

Make sure you have a polarizer and neutral density filters that fit!

The Tokina is 77mm. With regards to a polariser, I have one but you often get an uneven sky colour because it is so wide. Try it with just a clear filter to protect it and I'm sure you'll like the results. Also try and get low profile filters.

Lee

77mm correct?

Yes. How do I know this? I was so bent on getting this lens eventually that while I was waiting to be able to buy the lens, I decided to buy some filters :rolleyes:

Since the Tokina lens at 77 mm has the largest diameter of all my lenses, I have just gone with a 77mm in anything that I need now and purchased some adapter rings for my other lenses. I have been using Hoya Pro 1 filters and I've been happy with them. They may not be top of the range as filters go, but I can't afford to go buying one of each filter for each lens I have in my kit so I decided to go with the bigger ones. Step up and step down rings are so cheap.

westmill

Banned
Yes. How do I know this? I was so bent on getting this lens eventually that while I was waiting to be able to buy the lens, I decided to buy some filters :rolleyes:

Since the Tokina lens at 77 mm has the largest diameter of all my lenses, I have just gone with a 77mm in anything that I need now and purchased some adapter rings for my other lenses. I have been using Hoya Pro 1 filters and I've been happy with them. They may not be top of the range as filters go, but I can't afford to go buying one of each filter for each lens I have in my kit so I decided to go with the bigger ones. Step up and step down rings are so cheap.
Dont worry about Hoya Pro 1 filters.... they are as good as they get at any price. Highly recommended ! :)

Geoffc

Dont worry about Hoya Pro 1 filters.... they are as good as they get at any price. Highly recommended ! :)

I'd second that. I use pro1 clear on mine as well as the 70-200. I get superb quality results. I've stopped buying UV as I'm not sure it adds anything.

westmill

Banned
I'd second that. I use pro1 clear on mine as well as the 70-200. I get superb quality results. I've stopped buying UV as I'm not sure it adds anything.
I still tend to use UV Geoff. I just think its a dam site cheaper to replace a filter than it is lens. I ruined one with sea spray the other wk. I remember thinking how glad I was it was there :) They always seem to get marked eventualy. I jt use them to protect that vital front element. :)

Geoffc

Sorry if I was unclear. I do use a filter for protection on all my lenses, however I just use the clear ones rather than UV these days. I came to the conclusion that UV protection was more for film than digital sensors, so clear would give all the protection I require. Not sure if that logic is correct but it seems to work for me.