Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 PRO DX or Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 DC HSM or Nikon AF-S 10-24mm F3.5/4.

fotojack

I just purchased the Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8 Pro DX for Christmas. Although I haven't taken a lot of shots with it yet the ones I did take were pleasing to me.

Jack-06b-XL.jpg

Jack-04-XL.jpg

Great shots, Bob, and I love that out of the box technique. :) Very sharp and well composed.

bobmielke

I've heard nothing but great things about eh Tokina, and surprise, it is on my list to get also

I read a great review by Ken Rockwell that sold me on buying the lens. Ken was right so I continue to repect his opinion. More photos with the Tokina Feb 16, 2012.

Valentines-Retreat-M.jpg

Along-The-Winding-Path-M.jpg

Last edited:

Geoffc

I bought the Tokina a couple of months ago and I'm really pleased with it. It's very, very sharp and I love the 2.8 when I use it indoors such as museums and churches.

These lenses are very wide compared to 18mm so you need to choose your shots so to speak as stuff gets small quick. Ideally try one before you buy.

The build quality is very solid which is nice.

One thing I notice is vignetting from the polarizer or cokin filter holder at 11mm. Not really a fault of the lens, it's just very wide.

Oh did I mention it's sharp!! I looked at reviews on sigma, tokina and Nikon for a month before buying this, and I didn't let price influence my decision. To support that point, when nikon comes out top such as my 70-200 2.8 vrii I will spend the extra cash, but in this case I don't think the iq could be better.

Slightly off topic, my wife got the 10.5 fisheye at the same time and this actually works far better than I thought. Combined with dxo software to straighten the images it's actually very useful and has a 180 deg field of view. That said it is not as good as the tokina for most things.

Mestre

I bought a Rodenstock ultra-slim polarizer for my Sigma 10-20 and vignetting is not an issue but it cost me over 110€.

I also had the same problem with the Cokin filter holder but i "chopped" the last slot :) but i still had that problem within 10-11 mm.
However, since i have my 105mm Lee filter system i can shoot my sigma from 10mm straight.

westmill

Banned
The Tokina 11-16 is simply superb in every aspect bar one ! The Tokina only has one weaknes ( as do most Tokinas )
Very very high CAs. 2.1 - 2.6 px at the image borders. Since this is a rather easy fix in PS, I would pick this lens without hesitation.

Lee

Other than "just do it", no further advice :)

Ok. Good advice. Just bought one (Tokina 11-16) :D

I read through this whole thread and finally decided this is the lens and today was the day. Now, credit card has been charged, expedited shipping arranged - how do I hurry it's arrival even more?! I am SO impatient!

Bukitimah

Yeah, I want it too. But currently, it stays as wants and yet to move up to needs. I am holding back that temptation. It is trading around $650 here pre-owned. Wonder would it drop a couple of hundreds more :culpability:

Lee

Yeah, I want it too. But currently, it stays as wants and yet to move up to needs.

When I decide I really want something (like this lens for example) I have a remarkable ability to progress it up the ladder to reach "needs" status :rolleyes: I have to say, reading these threads and looking through galleries is a hazardous activity! I caught myself doing a visual sweep around my living room this last weekend (with another lens and a not so cheap ND filter that I really want) and wondering if we really need all that furniture in there :eek: I can see that by the end of the year I may be minus a sofa and plus another lens, lol

Regarding the price of that Tokina lens, I believe that a new version of it has just been released although it doesnt' seem to be available in the US just yet. I don't know if that will have any impact on the resale price or even the new price of the one we are discussing. It may be worth watching though.

There also seems to be a bigger movement to full frame in the past months and I have noticed more of the 11-16's pre owned for sale on eBay for the reason that the owners have gone full frame and this lens is just to wide to be practical. It seems now is possibly a good time to keep watching them.

westmill

Banned
When I decide I really want something (like this lens for example) I have a remarkable ability to progress it up the ladder to reach "needs" status :rolleyes: I have to say, reading these threads and looking through galleries is a hazardous activity! I caught myself doing a visual sweep around my living room this last weekend (with another lens and a not so cheap ND filter that I really want) and wondering if we really need all that furniture in there :eek: I can see that by the end of the year I may be minus a sofa and plus another lens, lol

Regarding the price of that Tokina lens, I believe that a new version of it has just been released although it doesnt' seem to be available in the US just yet. I don't know if that will have any impact on the resale price or even the new price of the one we are discussing. It may be worth watching though.

There also seems to be a bigger movement to full frame in the past months and I have noticed more of the 11-16's pre owned for sale on eBay for the reason that the owners have gone full frame and this lens is just to wide to be practical. It seems now is possibly a good time to keep watching them.
Soon your home could be lowepro camera bag if your not careful lol.... Just make sure you buy a roomy one ! :D

Stangman98

Based on the reccomendations here and Ken Rockwell I have decided to rent this lens from Borrowlenses for my upcoming vacation to North Carolina. I hope to use it for some sunset and sunrise photography.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Based on the reccomendations here and Ken Rockwell I have decided to rent this lens from Borrowlenses for my upcoming vacation to North Carolina. I hope to use it for some sunset and sunrise photography.

Make sure you have a polarizer and neutral density filters that fit!