The Spirit of Thailand

Michael J.

Re: Walkaround Thailand

Koh Loy is an attraction at Sriracha, approximately 30 kilometers from Pattaya City. Koh Loy is a very small island connected to the mainland of Sriracha by a long bridge.

kho=loy-8.jpg

Although the island is small, it is a good place to visit. The evening time on Koh Loy is very popular for relaxation.

kho=loy-2.jpg

Artists and Art students get inspired there

kho=loy-7.jpg

kho=loy-6.jpg

The transportation from the main land to Koh Loy is also comfortable for visitors due to the bridge and a car park. Additionally, there are several famous restaurants on this small island.

kho=loy-9.jpg

kho=loy-11.jpg

Koh Loy is a 3 rai island that connects to the mainland by a bridge long 500 meters. Koh Loy might be the smallest island in Thailand though. In the past, there is a street established to connect to the island instead of the bridge, but it blocked sea water to flow around that area, and that therefore was the cause of decayed sea water. For this reason, the council then changed the street to the bridge to solve this problem, and it has worked very well.

From the view point on the island, visitors can see every area around it, where there is Koh Sri Chang on the left-hand side and the city of Sriracha at the backside. At the evening, a lot of people go to exercise on Koh Loy, fishing on the bridge, and view the sunset. At the night time, visitors will see not only different views on Koh Loy but also from the city light.

kho=loy-14.jpg

A lot of visitors, especially local people, go there in order to respect Luong Phor Phiw at his shrine, ex-abbot of Wat Srimaharacha. In the pavilion, there is also the picture of Luong Phor Phiw. Addtionally, there is Guan Yin Statue on the hill behind the island fro visitors to respect as well.

kho=loy-5.jpg

kho=loy-1.jpg

Frogs are waiting that someone will buy and release them.

kho=loy-12.jpg

The attraction are the turtles. At the time I visited there, they were cleaning the pool, so I got just one captured.

kho=loy-3.jpg

kho=loy-15.jpg

An annexe to the temple under construction

kho=loy-10.jpg

A sculpture in the small park

kho=loy-13.jpg

Just a visitor

kho=loy-4.jpg

From Pattaya City, visitors need to use Sukhumvit Road to go to Sriracha. Before the government office of Sriracha, visitors need to turn left to head to Koh Loy. On the other hand, those who do not have a vehicle can go there by a metered taxi or go to Sriracha by a second class bus from Pattaya to Sriracha first, then take a motorcycle taxi to Koh Loy.
Inf0-Source: Koh Loy

Michael J.

Thanks a lot Marilynne. I appreciate that and try to keep on posting about "My Thailand" how I see it. But not everything is beautiful. I'm going to show this point as well.

piperbarb

Thanks a lot Marilynne. I appreciate that and try to keep on posting about "My Thailand" how I see it. But not everything is beautiful. I'm going to show this point as well.

Thank you so much for sharing. I may never get to Thailand, but at least I can enjoy the virtual visit.

Michael J.

Thais and foreigner are loveing Hoi Maeng Phu. That's the name of the Asian green mussel (Perna viridis). Here are some photos I took 2009 with a D80. I was driving around Chonburi-city and saw a supplier of Seafood Restaurants nearby.

The suppliers house and "Company".

mussel-2.jpg

All around this area a relatives and work for the supplier. Maybe we can call a family business.

mussel-4.jpg

mussel-3.jpg

mussel-1.jpg

The working "halls"

mussel-14.jpg

laundry room as well as ...

mussel-9.jpg

... drying area...

mussel-8.jpg

mussel-5.jpg

... and waste places

mussel-12.jpg

mussel-11.jpg

mussel-10.jpg

mussel-7.jpg

mussel-6.jpg

mussel-13.jpg

Michael J.

My father-in-law owns a tapioca company.

Tapioca should be harvested at the age of 11-12 months. This enables annual planting every year. Extension of the harvesting time to over a year will increase the yield, but the increase will largely depend on the amount of rainfall. The starch content is likely to fall, as the crop will burgeon more leaves and much of the nutrients will be translocated from the roots to leaves instead. Harvesting should be done in summer time, when the starch content is high.

Source and more:

Just a view photos, nothing special. Maybe one time I will do more documentation shots.

After harvesting ...

tapioca-2.jpg

...this shredder machine...

tapioca-6.jpg

... did this.

tapioca-3.jpg

After, when lots of tons are kept away...

tapioca-5.jpg

...those machines...

tapioca-7.jpg

...spreed the shredded tapioca all over the drying place.

tapioca-1.jpg

For a good result, tapioca must turned over several times.

tapioca-4.jpg

My father-in-law sells the dried tapioca to an tapioca-agent. As far as I know it goes to Singapore.

Michael J.

Wihan Thep Sathit Phra Kitti Chaloem or Nacha Sa Thai Chue Shrine is a very impressive Chinese temple in the town Ang Sila, close to the city Chonburi, about halfway between Bangkok and Pattaya. It is thus an easy place for a day-trip from either location.

In March 1991 the teacher Somchai Choesiri established a small shrine at this place on an area of 200 square wa (800 m²). The shrine became very popular to the local population as well as businessmen, so on July 18 1995 Somchai Choesiri could lay the foundation stone for the new building, in order to finish it for the celebration of the 72th birthday of HM the King in 1999. On January 11 1998 the Supreme Patriarch presided over a ceremony of casting 7 Buddha images and bestowed the name Wihan Thep Sathit Phra Kitti Chaloem to the temple. The whole site now covers 13 rai (2 ha).

Source: My unseen Thailand: Wat Thep Sathit in Ang Sila

shrine-11.jpg

shrine-9.jpg

shrine-8.jpg

shrine-7.jpg

shrine-6.jpg

shrine-5.jpg

shrine-4.jpg

shrine-3.jpg

shrine-2.jpg

shrine-1.jpg

shrine-10.jpg

Deezey

Thanks for the peeks into your world! Some awesome photos in there! Keep them coming.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Michael J.

Everyone gets thirsty by walking around. The best way to get back your energy is a fresh pressed sugarcane soft drink.

Sugarcane harvest time starts end of November until early February

sugar-7.jpg

Left Sugarcane on the fields are collected by some Street vendors and their helpers or the get it of the Sugarcane Companies

sugar-2.jpg

sugar-6.jpg

Find a crowded place to sell this wonderful tasty natural soft drink.

sugar-1.jpg

sugar-3.jpg

sugar-4.jpg

sugar-5.jpg

It is refreshing on a hot summer day. By the way, we are facing summer now. It's a bit warm. Average daytime summer temperatures range from approximately 32 to 42 degrees Celsius.

Michael J.

• [*=center]Tham Pla Namtok Pha Suea National Park comprises 511 square kilometers and includes rugged mountain ranges, rock mountains with caves and waterfalls. The highest elevation is Doi La at 1,918 meters above sea level.
    [*=center]Tham Pla Namtok Pha Suea National Park is in Pang Mappha and Mueang of Mae Hong Son Province. The Park is north west from Mae Hong Son Town between the route north to Pai and the Myanmar border.
    [*=center]The vegetation ecosystems are Mixed Deciduous Forest, Deciduous Dipterocarp Forest, Evergreen Forest in the low land by streams and Coniferous Forest covering the steeper ridges.
    [*=center]The animal species to be seen here include, Guar, Civet, Southern Serow, Bear, Langur, Macaque, Wild Boar and Common Muntjack.

thampla-1.jpg

thampla-17.jpg

thampla-15.jpg

thampla-14.jpg

thampla-13.jpg

thampla-12.jpg

thampla-11.jpg

thampla-10.jpg

thampla-9.jpg

thampla-8.jpg

thampla-7.jpg

thampla-6.jpg

thampla-5.jpg

thampla-4.jpg

thampla-3.jpg

thampla-2.jpg

thampla-16.jpg

Michael J.

It's such a great park. I love it.

thampla-34.jpg

thampla-32.jpg

thampla-31.jpg

thampla-30.jpg

thampla-29.jpg

thampla-28.jpg

thampla-27.jpg

An old rice-mill

thampla-26.jpg

thampla-25.jpg

thampla-24.jpg

thampla-23.jpg

thampla-22.jpg

thampla-21.jpg

thampla-20.jpg

thampla-19.jpg

It's in the cave where you can can watch a large school of blue-black fish called “Soro Brook Carp” or “Labeobarbus Soro”.

thampla-18.jpg

thampla-33.jpg