Post your Moon Shots

BF Hammer

This was not taken by me.

It was taken by a Reddit user named "SolidGains71" and posted to the r/Nikon subreddit.It's an HDR shot of the moon in its crescent phase, so he first took a picture as we would see it with our naked eye, with primarily only the crescent portion visible. Then he took a series of shots, each progressively more exposed. That brought the dark portion of the moon into correct exposure, but at the expense of over-exposing the crescent. But blending them in an HDR program created a composite image where the shadows were brought out, and the highlighted areas stayed at correct exposure levels. In other words, just like any other HDR shot. But I thought this was pretty dramatic looking and I hope to try it myself sometime.

View attachment 377682

I really like this photo. I wish I was brilliant enough to think of the idea. But I am clever enough to try and imitate it sometime. ;)

Bikerbrent

This was not taken by me.

It was taken by a Reddit user named "SolidGains71" and posted to the r/Nikon subreddit.It's an HDR shot of the moon in its crescent phase, so he first took a picture as we would see it with our naked eye, with primarily only the crescent portion visible. Then he took a series of shots, each progressively more exposed. That brought the dark portion of the moon into correct exposure, but at the expense of over-exposing the crescent. But blending them in an HDR program created a composite image where the shadows were brought out, and the highlighted areas stayed at correct exposure levels. In other words, just like any other HDR shot. But I thought this was pretty dramatic looking and I hope to try it myself sometime.

View attachment 377682

This is one great moon photo. Thank you Dangerspouse!

Fred Kingston

As promised, tonight's moon... A bit earlier than last night...

Same lens... The D300 shot was too not contrasty, so I converted it to B&W...

The D810 is pretty straight... Both on a Tripod, No VR, remote cable... Lowest ISO for both bodies... no Noise reduction... Sharpened w/Topaz (I can't stop myself)

Moon5 Sharpen.jpg

Moon4 Sharpen Orange Filter Preset.jpg

Last edited:

blackstar

Tried AF moon shot... after a dozen handheld clicks, only one was savaged with mediocre quality (see below). Guess a tripod is unavoidable.

2022-07-09_23-09-45-nik.jpg

Fred Kingston

@blackstar Which 300mm lens did you use???? Handheld is doable and mine are handheld, except for the two posted as an exercise comparing the differences between Crop and Full frame sensors... I would suggest that you use a lens with VR for handheld if you're not going to use a tripod...

blackstar

@blackstar Which 300mm lens did you use???? Handheld is doable and mine are handheld, except for the two posted as an exercise comparing the differences between Crop and Full frame sensors... I would suggest that you use a lens with VR for handheld if you're not going to use a tripod...

Hi Fred, I use the kit 70-300mm w/o VR. That could be the key issue when I had hard time holding my camera steady. Thanks for the reminder.

Clovishound

blackstar

Well done. Is this an HDR shot, or straight? My only suggestion is to play around with saturation and color temp. You might like it with a little color in it. Then again, perhaps not. It's definitely a personal thing that some like the stark, simple B&W better, and some like a little bit of color. You see a bit of both in this thread.

This one is a handheld (upper speed reduce vibration) single shot processed with Nik's Silver Efex. I changed and added the scene color a little blue that I like. Thanks for your suggestion.

blackstar

Like to ask a question here, moon-related and Z6ii Z7ii-related, but if not allowed, please move to the right place.

See quite a few members use Z cameras here. We know the subject tracking function in these high-end Z cameras is used to track a moving subject (in the frame) for remaining in focus (AF). Now Moon moves all the time and for the handheld situation, both Moon and camera, say, all move a bit, will the subject tracking function still work to make a sharp image? i.e., does the subject tracking function also cover the movement of the camera? Like to hear and appreciate all comments. Tks

Clovishound

Focus tracking only affects focus. The moon will remain in the same plane of focus regardless of movement of the moon or movement of the camera. The issue with handheld in these situations is camera movement, not focus. I don't think the moon moves enough in the sky to be a problem with the shutter speeds we are working with normal moon shots. VR will extend the shutter speeds that will give sharp results handheld, but only to a point.

The good news is that the moon is well lit. The surface of the moon is in bright sunlight, and if you expose for the lit surface it should give you the option of reasonably high shutter speeds.

This was a shot taken handheld with a Z5. Of course, 1/400 of a sec at 480mm is pretty close to the rule of thumb for shooting handheld without VR. The bad news on this picture is that with only a 500mm max lens, I needed to crop fairly heavily to get a good final product. This means it needs to be sharper than would be required for an uncropped image. Fortunately, the IBIS in the Z5 combined with the VR in the 200-500 F5.6 lens compensates very well, IMO, for camera movement. Again, only to a point. You can't rely on current VR to give you a sharp image with shutter speeds of a couple of seconds at 500+ focal length handheld.

_DAB0033.jpg

Edited:

Sorry, I got my D3400 images mixed up with my Z5 images. The above was taken with a tripod. The one below was taken hand held. Sorry about that chief!

_DAB1818-Enhanced-5.jpg

Last edited:

BF Hammer

Like to ask a question here, moon-related and Z6ii Z7ii-related, but if not allowed, please move to the right place.

See quite a few members use Z cameras here. We know the subject tracking function in these high-end Z cameras is used to track a moving subject (in the frame) for remaining in focus (AF). Now Moon moves all the time and for the handheld situation, both Moon and camera, say, all move a bit, will the subject tracking function still work to make a sharp image? i.e., does the subject tracking function also cover the movement of the camera? Like to hear and appreciate all comments. Tks

Subject tracking, 3D-tracking, any sort of tracking is irrelevant zoomed into the moon with a long telephoto. Your focus is infinity. You should be on manual focus, pre-set the focus using a bright star. You zoom the Live-View image on the screen as much as it goes and then manually adjust the focus until the star is as small as possible on the screen. Adjust the exposure lower if you need to see the adjustment better. Without touching focus you can then move the camera on the moon. No matter where you stand or how you move, at least the focus is correct.

As far as the rest of the business of doing the photo hand-held with VR, it will never be as sharp as on a steady tripod with a head that can hold the load of the camera and lens with no shake. You might match the performance of a cheaper and shaky tripod. If you really break out in an itchy rash at the thought of a tripod, at least try to set the rig down on a table and prop-up the lens with some books or something to aim at the moon. Turn off VR and use the self-timer to take out the shake of you pressing the shutter release button.

My extra tips: If you have a Z5, it takes the same wired remote shutter release as the D750 and several other DSLR bodies. The aftermarket versions of the remote shutter are dirt-cheap, like $10-$15. I've used the same one for over 10 years. on 4 different camera bodies. I have spent more on lens cleaning cloths. Otherwise use that phone app with a bluetooth or wi-fi connection to activate the shutter. I find just plugging in the remote switch to be faster and less fiddly.

You can do this in 1 exposure. Take many photos and try to bracket the exposure to dial in the right detail. You will have to keep moving the aim while on the tripod, try to set it so the moon moves across the full screen.

Exposure stack 30-50 images taken from an extra-steady platform, and you will marvel at the detail that will show. The atmosphere distortion will average out, you will multiply the effective pixel-count of your sensor because of the tiny shifts between images will fill the gaps in pixels and average them out. And that sensor noise will disappear. Software that does this exposure stacking is freely available and regularly used by astronomers. SIRIL will do this well. Next best for a planetary body is Registax (but that has not been updated in about 10 years).

Next, Fred Kingston inspired me into this but infrared imaging has a better potential to cut through atmospheric haze in the sky. My next time I make a project of photographing the moon, I will take my longest telephoto, use the IR D600 body I have, and most likely mount on my motorized star-tracker so I won't keep readjusting aim. When I desaturate to B/W, it will look the same color as a normal color moon desaturated.

Clovishound

OK, this is my best so far. I bracketed by 1 stop increments, then picked the best. Had to put the camera in the garage for an hour to warm up, as it's really humid outside and the lens fogs badly coming out of climate control. Set up on the tripod and used the self timer to keep things steady. Ran it through enhance feature in Lightroom as it's cropped severely.

_DAB2092-Enhanced.jpg