Possibly a new Nikon 200-500

RocketCowboy

Am I seeing that correctly, that it's a fixed f/5.6 aperture? That does make the pricing more sensible and not just a higher priced version of the Sigma/Tamron 150-600 offering.

Horoscope Fish

Am I seeing that correctly, that it's a fixed f/5.6 aperture? That does make the pricing more sensible and not just a higher priced version of the Sigma/Tamron 150-600 offering.
Maybe they plan to pick up the slack with that $2400 (!!!) price tag on the 24-70mm?

Am I reading that right?!

RocketCowboy

Buy one 24-70mm/f2.8VR at full price, get your 200-500mm/f5.6 at 25% off...only when purchased together. :)

The Tamron kit still makes more sense to me, but we'll see when people start capturing images off these new lenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vincent

Nikon 200-500 still has to show what it can do but promises are there, many will pay the premium to have a Nikon.
Tamron and Sigma C remain valid alternatives, I expect the Nikon to be sharper, but will it be significant?

My current question is more on:
80-400: lighter, more versatile, optically less ( see MTF) but more expensive?
200-400: 5 times the price for 1 stop and a bit of scharpness?

Where did Nikon place this in their own line? Just seems a 150-600 competitor?

Btw I believe it will outperform a sigma 500mm f4.5 so it is officially on my wishlist

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Felisek

If this lens is under £900, I will eat my hat*.

*Disclaimer: I will consult my dietician first.

At £1179 my hat is safe. However, I'm surprised, it is quite a low price for such lens. Let's wait for real reviews and comparison with Sigma/Tamron 150-600.

Woodyg3

Contributor
Okay, this just seems too good to be true. Manufacturers MTF charts are hardly an objective review of a lens, and we'll have to see once this lens gets into people's hands. I remain skeptical that this new lens is going to be sharp at the long end, and at this point I have no plans to put any of my current gear up for sale. That said, I will be VERY interested in hands on reviews when real live people put this lens to use.

10 Gauge

It's for easy fine tuning that I would need it for. Zoom lenses are a major PIA to fine tune. However I have not totally ruled it out yet.
The sole reason I got the Sigma + dock was for adjusting the AF fine tune. Much less (read not) worried about firmware updates.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk