Nikon 200-500/5.6 VR Lens....... post your photos!

TedG954

Mainly, I was wondering why I would get the craters if I held the focus button on while I took the photo, but a white pie if I just set the focus and took the photo.

mikew_RIP

Dont know about the D800 but on some cameras BBF over rides the focus priority setting,also does it activate the VR on your combination.

wtlwdwgn

The moon on a clear night is much brighter than we expect. I start out at 1/125 @ f/8 and ISO 100 and adjust from there. Just my $0.02. :rolleyes:

Don Kondra

Christmas Day Chickadee...

Chickadee%2025%20Dec%2015_zpssh7velcs.jpg

Cheers, Don

D200freak

I've finally had a chance to try out a 200-500 and now I have to make a decision: Will I be happier with this lens than my 150-600mm Tamron?

Disadvantages: Higher cost. (Not crazy, though.) Doesn't go to 600mm and I do admit I like having a lot of zoom range to work with. When you photograph space launches from a distance, you need all the zoom you can get!

Advantages: Even when NOT in sports mode, autofocus is fast, at least as fast as the Tamron. It doesn't get lost in autofocus as easily as the Tamron.

Sharpness: I don't know if can tell the difference.

Given my overall financial picture, I wouldn't be able to keep the Tamron if I bought the Nikon glass. It's one or the other.

Give me reasons to push me in the direction of the 200-500.

D200freak

Resale value is not a concern to me because I never sell anything that I didn't pick up specifically to flip for a profit. My film camera was bought by my dad in 1968, I think. (Canon FT QL, pretty much in perfect condition, with 50mm F/1.2 lens...very sweet.)

As for quality, I honestly don't see much difference in build quality between the two. They're both very well made lenses, considering that they're both mostly plastic. (I suspect that these would be seriously heavy lenses if made with aluminum and steel components where you find plastic.)

D200freak

I'm getting my 200-500mm this coming week. Looking forward to it! FYI, if anybody's looking for one at a bargain price, there's one on ebay now for 1199, barely used. I thought about buying it but I have decided instead to give my local shop some business even though it'll cost me a little more. They've been helpful enough to me that they've earned my business.

hrstrat57

Resale value is not a concern to me because I never sell anything that I didn't pick up specifically to flip for a profit. My film camera was bought by my dad in 1968, I think. (Canon FT QL, pretty much in perfect condition, with 50mm F/1.2 lens...very sweet.)

Ha ha, just found an FT QL with a 50 1.4 Canon lens and a few other bits in the closet the other day....been in there at least 40 years I bet....

That was a great camera had an almost 3D effect to the images that lens camera combo produced....very Minolta like actually as I recall.

hrstrat57

This thing looks like it slays the birds pretty good if they are sitting....anyone shot any sports with this lens? I flipped through the thread and didn't see any action shots.

singlerosa_RIP

This thing looks like it slays the birds pretty good if they are sitting....anyone shot any sports with this lens? I flipped through the thread and didn't see any action shots.

My grandsons start baseball soon, so I look forward to using it then. My 70-200/70-300 hadn't been cutting it.

Blacktop

It slays um pretty good flying as well. It slays them a lot better on my D750 then on the D7100.

_DSC0534-Edit.jpg