New Gear Thread!

Will V|Photography

I'll do what I can. I don't use my L110 enough to justify using it so it'll probably be a cellphone shot. It's a little large for the D3100 body but I think the grip will balance it out nicely.

Mike150

Back to the Budget Busters for me. Like I mentioned earlier, my 2011 budget was overridden by the dog's new Titanium Knee. Now it looks like my 2012 budget has been put on hold because of a replacement HVAC system.

fotojack

I'll be out of a part time job soon. The motorcycle track where I work is shutting down for good. The city is taking back the land and turning it into a landfill. :( Hopefully they'll build another one in a couple of years. So my photography budget is coming to a screeching halt as of Oct. 2nd. lol. If I find another part time job, my NAS will pick up again. :)

Will V|Photography

Now it looks like my 2012 budget has been put on hold because of a replacement HVAC system.

Shop around and get something slightly larger than needed with a high SEER. Don't worry about spending a little extra because it'll pay for itself within the first year and last for 10+. Get ready to watch that electric bill drop.

- Universal EPA Certified HVAC/R Technician (cool way of saying I work on A/C :p)

Will V|Photography

In a turn of awesome events the rest of my stuff showed up today (except my filters :(). I got my tripod and grip in addition to the flash. Here is the whole shebang put together:

IMG00048-20110921-1635.jpg

and here is a close-up of the Yongnuo 460ii on top of the gripped D3100:

IMG00051-20110921-1636.jpg

Don't mind the terrible quality pictures. They were taken from my Blackberry in very questionable light. I'm surprised I even got them to come out this good...

Will V|Photography

Thanks! Yeah it's a little large in relation to the camera itself, but it is smaller than the Godox TT520. I don't mind the size too much and it's really easy and fun to use.

I found this from a quick Google search:

As of today, the YN-460-II is still the most powerful strobe in the Yongnuo lineup: it is specified with a guide number of 38 (meters, 35mm coverage, ISO 100) whereas all other models have GN 33 (at least on paper, it is lower in real life). But like the other models it is a member of the same line of speedlites, the 46x line.

Will V|Photography

After some time to mess with everything... well, I couldn't be happier. The flash is amazing, the grip works perfect (save for the GPS cable which I had to send back and get replaced), the tripod has opened up many new doors, and the filters are such a help. Next on the acquisition list is a wireless trigger for the flash and then it's all lenses from there.

For a somewhat visual review of the flash check out this post in the Godox thread: #63

FoxRacer2

Good to hear the flash is treating you well! I love mine as well, Used it as my main flash at my fathers wedding that I shot and it came in Handy!

Johnathan Aulabaugh

The only thing I have bought lately is some rain covers and cleaning swabs. The last buy was a Clik Elite Hiker pack that I have mixed feelings about. Great bag for over night trips (loved it in the Tetons) but not suitable for short walks. My older Lowepro fastpack is nicer for that type of thing. Cpl it with the op tech utility strap and you have a pretty functional system for carrying a cpl lenses and a flash.

Mestre

Last month I got my 105mm micro AF-S VR, with that I've closed my lens set. Any future upgrade will only happen if it pays off, since this is just a hobby for me.

My only doubt is if I should buy a flash, since it is the only thing missing...

Johnathan Aulabaugh

Last month I got my 105mm micro AF-S VR, with that I've closed my lens set. Any future upgrade will only happen if it pays off, since this is just a hobby for me.

My only doubt is if I should buy a flash, since it is the only thing missing...

I have hotshoes I use regualarly. SB800 and SB 600, both are great. A good flash is always nice to have.

kayte

I just bought a 55-200mm telephoto lens from Future Shop in town and am very happy with it. Still playing with it when I have th chance but so far, nothing to complain about. I am not picky about my lenses- I find their strengths and use them and avoid the areas where they are weak.

This one is an upgrade to my older 70-210mm telephoto that I bought used on Kijijji about 2 years ago. I am still very happy with it but it's showing it age by sticking when I pull it to the 210mm zoom. I would find out what is wrong but figure may as well invest in a new lens while I have a chance.

Next purchases will be a 50mm prime, tripod (yes I don't have one, lol) and maybe some more filters as I am lacking in some that may be useful.

Johnathan Aulabaugh

What are you shooting with? If you check out the last page you'll see my new flash. Picked it up brand new for ~$50.
How is it going with that flash? is it able to sync off camera and all that like a sb600 or sb800? I try not to buy off brand to much, although I am considering a fast lens by a different manufacturer, which is something i would never have thought to do a cpl years ago

Browncoat

New backdrop from SayCheeseBackgrounds.com arrived today.

I purchased an 18% grey from the Classics series (#C1200), and I must say this is the most well constructed backdrop I've ever seen. They are dyed and sewn by hand and just reek of quality. The backdrop is so thick, it's more like leather than cloth. They just don't make stuff like this anymore, gang.

I opted for the muslin 8x10 version, which was $229. Not cheap, but not over the top either. The 18% grey color will work well with colored flash gels so that I can make this thing just about any color I want.

This is a quickie 5-minute job. No color on the backdrop:

20111007-Test-1.jpg

Last edited:

Will V|Photography

^^Nice stuff Anthony! A job opportunity popped up and I may be getting into portrait photography. Not fond of sitting in a studio but I may take it as I haven't had any sort of work for some time. Mind posting a picture of your setup?

How is it going with that flash? is it able to sync off camera and all that like a sb600 or sb800? I try not to buy off brand to much, although I am considering a fast lens by a different manufacturer, which is something i would never have thought to do a cpl years ago

I love the flash but I have yet to use it off camera. It's manual so I'm just learning how to use it on camera first, bouncing and such. It wont sync to the Nikon system but it's only $50 and wireless triggers aren't that much. I figure I can learn the flash and then drop some money on triggers and another 460ii. If you check out the Godox 520 thread and some other threads in the Flash section there is some good discussion on this.

Just got home a while ago with a bran new 40 2.8G AFS DX Micro Nikkor. This sucker focuses CLOSE! Here's a Test example

Nice glass and awesome shot. New wallpaper on the Macbook ;)
<-- former graffiti artist :rolleyes:

evisphoto

Well, this friday will be new wide angle zoom day! If things go as expected, I will be getting one of these . However, if things go really, really well, I will be bringing home one of these! Lets hope things go really, really well!