My name is _______ and I am overweight

Some tips. Drink a glass of water before eating. Eat smaller portions. Use a smaller plate to trick your brain into thinking you have more food than you do. Eat slowly. The more you chew the more your brain thinks that you are eating.

These are some tips my wife has used and is down over 20lbs in 2 months.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I am actually seeing a weight reduction doctor. Full blood work labs and it really shows up the problems.

I drink at least 8 glasses of water a day now replacing all the Coke Zero I was drinking. I splurged today for lunch and had a sandwich. That is the only bread I have had all week. The day after I take my Methotrexate each week I can hardly get out of bed so that was the reason for the slip up and eating a sandwich instead of a nice salad for lunch.

From all the lab work I have found that Carbs are my enemy so they have got to go so I can get my triglycerides and blood sugar down to a good level.

Vincent

... I have found that Carbs are my enemy ...

You mean Carbs are our enemy? Bread and pasta are indeed too high in my diet too, when I can avoid them I`m mostly on rice.
I lived for a few months without Carbs after 14h, that was difficult to organise though and in a family situation I did not manage anymore.

You mean Carbs are our enemy? Bread and pasta are indeed too high in my diet too, when I can avoid them I`m mostly on rice.
I lived for a few months without Carbs after 14h, that was difficult to organise though and in a family situation I did not manage anymore.

White rice is very high also and brown is not so good either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gqtuazon

Gear Head
From all the lab work I have found that Carbs are my enemy so they have got to go so I can get my triglycerides and blood sugar down to a good level.

Carbs = Rice or Noodles here in Asia. Kinda difficult to take out of our meal. Sushi without rice is not complete. :(

I still have some Metformine around since I have a borderline diabetic. Might have to try those since I heard that it suppresses craving and looses your appetite. Not sure how true that is.

Carbs = Rice or Noodles here in Asia. Kinda difficult to take out of our meal. Sushi without rice is not complete. :(

I still have some Metformine around since I have a borderline diabetic. Might have to try those since I heard that it suppresses craving and looses your appetite. Not sure how true that is.

I am going to a doctor and getting injections twice a week with lipotropic injections which is pretty interesting what all they do. The one thing that is really great for me is that it help to remove fat from the liver and detoxifies the liver. For me that is a game changed since I take Methotrexate weekly and that kills your liver and I have to have blood test every 2 or 3 months to test my liver. I am also on a appetite suppressor that is supposed to help with the cravings and also help with energy. I do think they are helping so far. If my home scales are any where accurate I have lost pounds in 5 days. That is weighing the first thing when I get up in the morning. Will weigh at the doc today when I go for my shot to see if their scales agree with mine.

Fortkentdad

Weight loss is tough.

The weight loss industry is full of . . . lets just say low quality information and programs that are designed to generate money for the vendor.

I was morbidly obese as in 400 pounds obese.
After decades of 'yo-yo' weight loss - lose lots, .... regain more .... lose lots ... regain even more .... lose lots .... and so on.
I eventually in 2011 went in for bariatric surgery (yeah Canada's Health Care System)
Now I'm maintaining my weight - I'm running about 200 pounds now.

All I can say is that google research will get you a ton of weight loss nonsense.
I'd only recommend a trained M.D. - preferably one with bariatric surgery training.

BTW surgery is no easy way out. And only for those morbidly obese.
It was tough sledding for two years for me.

At the Edmonton clinic when I was there for classes or consultations it was not uncommon for American doctors and others to be there to learn what made that program so successful. They'd sit in on classes or consultations (with patient permission) What they learned was to qualify for the surgery you must first lose a specified amount of weight through dieting (and with a little - very little) help from exercise. Took me well over a year to qualify. You also must attend a series of classes (group therapy by another name) and individual consultations - probably 25 of these sessions in all. You see doctors, nurses, dietitians, physical therapist and yes shrinks for mental assessment and therapy. Full team press. The program then qualifies you for the surgery. Then there is follow up for two or more years. When the visiting American doctors would hear the expectations put on the patient they would say "I don't thank that will work in the US - people want to pay to lose and lose it fast" - waiting a year or two while working the program to qualify? Not happening. Cost of the 'full team approach' was also 'problematic'. Sad because surgery alone has a terrible history of weight regained within five years. We came to understand that weight control is a mental exercise. it means learning lots and lots about nutrition and how to distinguish BS for good advice.

BTW all the info I every got on zero cal drinks and the theory that they trick your body into thinking it is sugar so acts like sugar - real research shows that theory is just a theory and has never been clinically proven. But if not drinking it works for you these beverages adds nothing to your health. Drink water - laced with drops of lemon ("real lemon" is fine). Or get one of those "fruit infusion" bottles where you put cut fruit into the water. And after stomach surgery anything carbonated is off my allowed list - because the bubble upset my new 'stomach' - I had the bypass - nothing actually goes into my stomach anymore.

Low carb. Hi fat. Paleo, all of what the staff called 'DdJ' = diet de jour - all get the thumbs down. Old fashion counting calories, reducing fat (especially bad fat), reduce sugar (all kinds not just 'added processed' - body don't care whether it is processed sugar cane, sugar beat, corn syrup, or even berry sugar - it is all sugar).

But mostly it is about portion control. We just eat way too much food at a sitting. I'm now a cheap date. If I eat fast food I order the kiddie special. McD's Happy meal with the grilled chicken snack wrap, and the apples. And grandson gets a new toy. Boston Pizza pasta - one order does me that meal, and the take home left overs feed me for two more meals. Once you get used to eating small portions (a little more frequently) it's not bad - but in the beginning it sucks.

As for exercise - do it because you need to move and yes it burns a few calories but you'd be surprised by how much exercise you need to do to for weight loss. Much more than most of us will (or can) do. But exercise for fitness - yes absolutely. I've taken up cycling - love it. But you can never as they say "out run your fork".

One recommendation for you:
Dr. Yoni Freedman is a no BS bariatric surgeon from Ottawa Canada. His blog Weighty Matters has lots of real information. He does have a book but does not flog it called The Diet Fix: Why Diets Fail and How to Make Yours Work. In a nut shell - don't diet in a way you could not maintain for the rest of your life. Any food intake change you make, you must be happy enough with to live with - for the rest of your life.

if you youtube here he is being interviewed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXw28bX4lZU

Best of luck in your weight control efforts - keep at it.

Pretzel

I read all the posts, not a lot of time to respond lately... sounds like we have enough members to have our own "loss" thread in the Off Topic area. Maybe a separate area where we can each post our own thread. What ya think? It's not directly Nikon related, but the more fit we are, the more able we are to get to that next great shot. ;)

Started at 296.4 (hangs head in shame) altogether, a bit before posting in this convo. Down to 281.7 this morning! The journey goes much slower than it used to, but I've gotta get it right this time! That's almost 15 lbs earned by a lot of trips to the gym and generally smaller portions. That and replacing my sweet tea with water.

Recently learned that the LIVER is what processes body fat, so poor liver health greatly impacts your ability to lose weight. 1) It takes water for the liver to do it's job. Drinks with high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners, etc. have so many chemicals that the small percentage of water gets nowhere near countering the "clog" those chemicals create. 2) Salt is BAD! (so good, but so bad) 3) Same goes for alcohol. Worse than salt! (I cried when I read this) 4) There are a lot of green veggies that promote higher liver performance levels, but the only ones I can really stand to eat are broccoli and cauliflower. That kale and cabbage and stuff (brussel sprouts too) just doesn't go down well. ;) 5) If all else fails, INCREASE your water intake to compensate! It's been said that dividing your weight (in pounts) in half, converting that number to ounces and drinking that much water is a HUGE key to weight loss, especially for that fat around the mid-section.

Between water and the gym, and the smaller portions, I'm off to a good start at least. Still eating the same old crap for the most part, so if I could reign that in, I could pull off some of those "Biggest Loser" type weeks, I'd bet!

Not quite to the stage to even think about surgery. I was at 262 last week when I started all this. One of my main problems was I am pre-diabetic and I have a fatty liver because of the drugs I am on. I have a doctor that for the first time sat down and explained to me what the drugs are doing to my system and what I need to do to counteract the damages they are doing. What is so funny is that losing weight and getting the systems under control may lessen the number of drugs I have to take to live. Again with with blood pressure (Under control with drugs) and high triglycerides and high sugar Carbs are my worse enemy. The doctor has me on low carbs to get my body to change gears for now and it does seem to be working. Even he says this is not long term but as Americans we eat way to many carbs daily and that is not healthy. I am just teaching my body that it does not need them.

Weight loss is tough.

The weight loss industry is full of . . . lets just say low quality information and programs that are designed to generate money for the vendor.

I was morbidly obese as in 400 pounds obese.
After decades of 'yo-yo' weight loss - lose lots, .... regain more .... lose lots ... regain even more .... lose lots .... and so on.
I eventually in 2011 went in for bariatric surgery (yeah Canada's Health Care System)
Now I'm maintaining my weight - I'm running about 200 pounds now.

All I can say is that google research will get you a ton of weight loss nonsense.
I'd only recommend a trained M.D. - preferably one with bariatric surgery training.

BTW surgery is no easy way out. And only for those morbidly obese.
It was tough sledding for two years for me.

At the Edmonton clinic when I was there for classes or consultations it was not uncommon for American doctors and others to be there to learn what made that program so successful. They'd sit in on classes or consultations (with patient permission) What they learned was to qualify for the surgery you must first lose a specified amount of weight through dieting (and with a little - very little) help from exercise. Took me well over a year to qualify. You also must attend a series of classes (group therapy by another name) and individual consultations - probably 25 of these sessions in all. You see doctors, nurses, dietitians, physical therapist and yes shrinks for mental assessment and therapy. Full team press. The program then qualifies you for the surgery. Then there is follow up for two or more years. When the visiting American doctors would hear the expectations put on the patient they would say "I don't thank that will work in the US - people want to pay to lose and lose it fast" - waiting a year or two while working the program to qualify? Not happening. Cost of the 'full team approach' was also 'problematic'. Sad because surgery alone has a terrible history of weight regained within five years. We came to understand that weight control is a mental exercise. it means learning lots and lots about nutrition and how to distinguish BS for good advice.

BTW all the info I every got on zero cal drinks and the theory that they trick your body into thinking it is sugar so acts like sugar - real research shows that theory is just a theory and has never been clinically proven. But if not drinking it works for you these beverages adds nothing to your health. Drink water - laced with drops of lemon ("real lemon" is fine). Or get one of those "fruit infusion" bottles where you put cut fruit into the water. And after stomach surgery anything carbonated is off my allowed list - because the bubble upset my new 'stomach' - I had the bypass - nothing actually goes into my stomach anymore.

Low carb. Hi fat. Paleo, all of what the staff called 'DdJ' = diet de jour - all get the thumbs down. Old fashion counting calories, reducing fat (especially bad fat), reduce sugar (all kinds not just 'added processed' - body don't care whether it is processed sugar cane, sugar beat, corn syrup, or even berry sugar - it is all sugar).

But mostly it is about portion control. We just eat way too much food at a sitting. I'm now a cheap date. If I eat fast food I order the kiddie special. McD's Happy meal with the grilled chicken snack wrap, and the apples. And grandson gets a new toy. Boston Pizza pasta - one order does me that meal, and the take home left overs feed me for two more meals. Once you get used to eating small portions (a little more frequently) it's not bad - but in the beginning it sucks.

As for exercise - do it because you need to move and yes it burns a few calories but you'd be surprised by how much exercise you need to do to for weight loss. Much more than most of us will (or can) do. But exercise for fitness - yes absolutely. I've taken up cycling - love it. But you can never as they say "out run your fork".

One recommendation for you:
Dr. Yoni Freedman is a no BS bariatric surgeon from Ottawa Canada. His blog Weighty Matters has lots of real information. He does have a book but does not flog it called The Diet Fix: Why Diets Fail and How to Make Yours Work. In a nut shell - don't diet in a way you could not maintain for the rest of your life. Any food intake change you make, you must be happy enough with to live with - for the rest of your life.

if you youtube here he is being interviewed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXw28bX4lZU

Best of luck in your weight control efforts - keep at it.

I have not been a big drinker since my 20s BUT I love having 1 beer with my grilled hamburger on Saturday. The meds I am on cut out that beer. They did say I could have maybe one a month though. I may continue that tradition but the hamburger has to go. My doc said the meat was not a problem but the bun was. Looking for recipes for low carb bread now. I miss having a sandwich or a big juicy hamburger.

I read all the posts, not a lot of time to respond lately... sounds like we have enough members to have our own "loss" thread in the Off Topic area. Maybe a separate area where we can each post our own thread. What ya think? It's not directly Nikon related, but the more fit we are, the more able we are to get to that next great shot. ;)

Started at 296.4 (hangs head in shame) altogether, a bit before posting in this convo. Down to 281.7 this morning! The journey goes much slower than it used to, but I've gotta get it right this time! That's almost 15 lbs earned by a lot of trips to the gym and generally smaller portions. That and replacing my sweet tea with water.

Recently learned that the LIVER is what processes body fat, so poor liver health greatly impacts your ability to lose weight. 1) It takes water for the liver to do it's job. Drinks with high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners, etc. have so many chemicals that the small percentage of water gets nowhere near countering the "clog" those chemicals create. 2) Salt is BAD! (so good, but so bad) 3) Same goes for alcohol. Worse than salt! (I cried when I read this) 4) There are a lot of green veggies that promote higher liver performance levels, but the only ones I can really stand to eat are broccoli and cauliflower. That kale and cabbage and stuff (brussel sprouts too) just doesn't go down well. ;) 5) If all else fails, INCREASE your water intake to compensate! It's been said that dividing your weight (in pounts) in half, converting that number to ounces and drinking that much water is a HUGE key to weight loss, especially for that fat around the mid-section.

Between water and the gym, and the smaller portions, I'm off to a good start at least. Still eating the same old crap for the most part, so if I could reign that in, I could pull off some of those "Biggest Loser" type weeks, I'd bet!

kevy73

There is always swimming too - low impact - seriously good for you and uses all muscle groups... If the stationary bike doesn't work for you, swimming might be the go.

That is one of my problems. I had the knee replaced and was getting a mile to two miles a day in walking and then the ankle starting going south. I am now in a knee high custom brace so very little walking. Back is bad and have had surgery once on it already so that limits what I can do. I think I am going to try the stationary bike and see how everything tolerates that.

Ruthh

There's a few tricks as mentioned before, but also try adding things in to your diet that leave you fuller for longer. Instead of snacking on crisps (chips) have some fruit or oatcakes, increase protein and fibre intake. It's not always easy, I've been there (I was at one point almost 16 stone and now I sit around the 8 stone 10 pounds mark constantly), but it's worth it and it doesn't mean you have to give everything up just make different choices on what you eat.

As a family, we sit down and make a meal plan for each week. We cook fresh food every day and actually have no ready meals/pizzas etc in the freezer as we make everything from scratch. It's not a la carte dining but I'm hoping that our kids are being taught that you can have the fun stuff without all the additives too. I should add that myself and 2 of our daughters have IBS and other conditions which mean we have to be careful about what we eat and have very much found that fresh is best.