Moab Man's Magnified Macro

Moab Man

@Chayelle Raynox also offers a 5x magnification. The advantage over stacking would be cost, weight, and you're not losing all the light through stacked lenses. Shooting at an aperture of f/64 is already tough on light.

However, it's not a criticism of stacking lenses. There are pro's and con's to each method.

Chayelle

@Chayelle Raynox also offers a 5x magnification. The advantage over stacking would be cost, weight, and you're not losing all the light through stacked lenses. Shooting at an aperture of f/64 is already tough on light.

[MENTION=11881]Moab Man[/MENTION] Yes, I lose a lot of light when using close up filters, or rings, or stacking...
and it all becomes very heavy. Plus, lots of space in my bags, when I could slip this in a pocket...
lightweight has become a word with a whole new meaning over the years... ;)

coolbus18

Yeah lighting is a challenge.I'm gonna try some 3mm fiber optic lighting.Found some sources on e-bay. It should be doable for under $50 usd.. I've also been reading John Shaws ,Close Ups in Nature, which is an inspiration. Yeah everything has pros and cons , Yes weight can be a problem but I use a rail mount with lens support and I pay attention to tripod leg placement. I love the process. Enjoy!

Moab Man

I am not familiar with the 500D. However, it does appear to be a magnifier, but I can't find and clear definitive information.

Chayelle

Thanks... I will try to find out more about this.
I have the Nikon closeup filters, PN-11, PK's and I think the Canon 500D...
However, perhaps this Raynox would be most beneficial... hmmm :confused:

Last edited:

Scott Murray

Finally got my first bug shot. A really patient Fish Fly that was willing to pose and allow me to nudge and re-position it.

View attachment 148310

While laying in the grass chasing ants, and people in the park thinking I'm mental, I looked up and found a super tiny ant on a very tiny macro flower.

View attachment 148316

Here is a colorful little bug that stayed real still for me. The moving in of the lens triggered a freeze response.

View attachment 148317

Great photos :) I knew you would get it...

Vincent

How does this Raynox DCR-250 compare to the Canon 500D closeup lens?

Normally they use one of 2 ways to describe the strenght of close focus lenses:

+2 diopters or 500 (=1000/2)
+4 diopters or 250 (=1000/4)

Generally they are used differently +2 for telephoto lenses and +4 for normal lenses, but there is no real restriction.
The 250 should focus at about 250mm and the 500 at 500mm.

The Canon 500D has double lenses to be optically as neutral as possible.
I`m planning on using it on the 70-200mm with a TC maybe.

It seems Raynox uses a completely different description.
DCR250 is +8 diopter, single lens, I found. Clearly Moab man is proving it really works if you put your mind to it.

Last edited:

Chayelle

Normally they use one of 2 ways to describe the strenght of close focus lenses:

+2 diopters or 500 (=1000/2)
+4 diopters or 250 (=1000/4)

Generally they are used differently +2 for telephoto lenses and +4 for normal lenses, but there is no real restriction.

The Canon 500D has double lenses to be optically as neutral as possible.
I`m planning on using it on the 70-200mm with a TC maybe.

It seems Raynox uses a completely different description.
DCR250 is +8 diopter, single lens, I found. Clearly Moab man is proving it really works if you put your mind to it.

Good information. I was under the impression the 500 was the higher diopter
value than the 250. I do not know where I got that... mmmm

I did not know this at all!!!

Clearly Moab man is proving it really works if you put your mind to it.

Yes, indeed!

Thank you, Vincent, for taking the time to share this!! :)

Moab Man

Here is a shot of a tiny cactus up close and personal.

DSC_7356_Web.jpg