Moab Man's Magnified Macro

RubenR15

I can't wait for some patient bugs. May need to head over to Colorado where I can find some marijuana stoned bugs lacking the motivation to move, breed, accomplish anything, etc... THEN I should be able to get some really cool bug shots. Unfortunately my bugs here are too alert and I am at day 2 of no successful bug shots.

colorado definitely sounds like the place to go to but trust me you will get them and it open a whole new world,you start noticing things that you never did before

Scott Murray

I can't wait for some patient bugs. May need to head over to Colorado where I can find some marijuana stoned bugs lacking the motivation to move, breed, accomplish anything, etc... THEN I should be able to get some really cool bug shots. Unfortunately my bugs here are too alert and I am at day 2 of no successful bug shots.
Do you approach them carefully? Wait awhile for them to be comfortable and then sloooooowly move in? Maybe entice some with sugar etc ;)

Moab Man

colorado definitely sounds like the place to go to but trust me you will get them and it open a whole new world,you start noticing things that you never did before
I've got a lot of macro experience, but the Raynox depth of field and lack of bugs right now is a bugger.

Last edited:

Chayelle

Wow, wow, wow!!!

I am heading to the Raynox site right now...

These are great! I will be excited to see more Moab Man...

@scott, I will have to take a run over to see your "stuff"...
great thread! exciting pics...

Moab Man

@Chayelle thanks.

There is definitely a huge technique learning curve to the Raynox. After 2-3 days of use I have developed a much smoother and smaller advance of bringing the lens closer to the subject thus bringing the bug into focus. Starting out, and accustom to traditional macro bug photography, my prior to a Raynox technique seems more like a sledgehammer approach where now my approach is more the precision of a scalpel.

My thoughts for everyone... Raynox, DX or FX
I have been bouncing back and forth between the two sensor sizes. The decision is not final, but I seem to be getting better images out of my FX than the DX. My suspicion is that the increased "magnification" of shooting on a DX seems to be (my theory) blowing apart the image and is not as sharp. What I need to do is try shooting from the tripod at a fixed object and try to rule out the human factor or if my theory is what seems to be occurring.

Last edited:

Moab Man

Finally got my first bug shot. A really patient Fish Fly that was willing to pose and allow me to nudge and re-position it.

DSC_5069.jpg

Moab Man

While laying in the grass chasing ants, and people in the park thinking I'm mental, I looked up and found a super tiny ant on a very tiny macro flower.

DSC_5105_Web.jpg

Last edited:

Moab Man

Here is a colorful little bug that stayed real still for me. The moving in of the lens triggered a freeze response.

DSC_5141_Web.jpg

Last edited:

coolbus18

Real nice.. Yes that dcr-250 is sure neat.So have you tried "stacking" lenses and reversin? .I luv the macro.

striations.jpg this is the safety bar of a 1935 Schick Injector razor. Ah Macro, it's more than bugs.

coolbus18

This was done by using a 200mm f/4 , a 52mm adapter ring, and a micro nikkor 55mm reversed. Today I'll be trying out a 200mm with a reversed 105mm.. Also I bounce back and forth using the 2 different crop modes on the D7100.I ordered a macro slide rail. I also use the remote to fire the shutter because vibration has to be 0 , or one gets a blur. It's fun experimenting . Enjoy!!