Longer exposure than 30 seconds?

BF Hammer

An intervalometer that plugs into the remote shutter release connector of the camera, or else tether the camera to a PC by USB cable and use an app like DigiCamControl.

The intervalometer option is versatile and not that expensive. You can use it to make time-lapse series also, which is the original purpose of the devices. Can also use as a straight remote shutter release. And setting the camera to bulb mode allows you to program a long exposure time of your choosing with just the 1 press of the button.

Zvi

I prefer not to use bulb mode so that I don't have to look at the clock all the time.
Is there an app that is supported by Android and can work with the D5600, that can replace the intervalometer?

Fred Kingston

I prefer not to use bulb mode so that I don't have to look at the clock all the time.
Is there an app that is supported by Android and can work with the D5600, that can replace the intervalometer?
You don't have to look at the clock of the Intervalometer. You set it, and then just push the button just like you'd push a shutter button... and the intervalometer manages the time intervals.

Phone apps are just simply intervalometers. The application mentioned simply uses the USB port... An intervalometer is a remote shutter release with a small programmable clock in it.

Last edited:

Zvi

You don't have to look at the clock of the Intervalometer. You set it, and then just push the button just like you'd push a shutter button... and the intervalometer manages the time intervals.
I referred to the use of bulb mode.
I understood that when using the bulb mode, you have to stop it manually.

Fred Kingston

No that's not correct. The intervalometer just uses Bulb mode as a method of process. The intervalometer opens and closes the shutter for you. That's the object of an intervalometer.

BF Hammer

Electrically an intervalometer is a switch that activates the shutter release. Difference from a shutter release cable is that the release cable requires you to hold the release button in bulb mode and time the exposure with your own clock and fingers. The intervalometer has it's own timer clock. You set it for 45 seconds, it holds down the switch contact for you after you press the button. But the shutter would need to be in bulb mode to give up control of the shutter speed to the intervalometer.

There really is no other way other than PC tethered by USB cable. An app using WiFi on a phone cannot do the trick.