Likes system updated - Best answer, Unthank/Unlike and Dislike added

hrstrat57

I can understand not liking "dislike" but disagreeing is not necessarily a negative thing. Disagreeing can lead to a conversation that may bring positive results.

I guess just because we disagree about disagree( tho we agree about dislike) we do not necessarily have to be disagreeable about our disagreement?

Is that it?

:) Smiley added to prove I am not disagreeable and actually like and usually agree with my friend Blacktop!

(methinks the worms are out of the can..... )

Eyelight

When I first ventured into Nikonites, I liked the Thanks/Like button because it was more than just a Like. People seem to use it both to like and to thank and thanking someone almost goes farther than a like. And you could tell from the context whether the Thank/Like was clicked for a thank or a like, so it had more meaning.

I don't think the Dislike or Disagree button will be an issue here, anymore than the occasional thread that goes awry. I suppose Dislike and Disagree both carry a stronger connotation than Thanks/Like. There may be a better word or word combo that expresses the intent of the button similar to the way Thanks/Like does. Maybe just "No Thanks/Like".

hrstrat57

Eyelight IMHO it is an invitation for random "snarkyness" and snipes. We all know the virtual world can be full of snipers and trolls. This forum thankfully does not have many or I would have taken my camera and gone home. However my opinion if you disagree with the thoughts of someone else you need to spell it out and make your case not hit a button and run.

My take only of course = feel free to disagree.

As has been stated it is only a trial it makes sense to see how it goes I guess...

:)

wev

Contributor
Is there some way to see what a "Best Answer" post was? I see I have three, which leads me to think we are harboring at least one insane Nikon user.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I have scanned this thread for the answer, but didn't find it. Some replies in some threads are bordered top & bottom with a yellow highlight. Does this indicate that the comment received over X number of likes? I found where Best Answer got Green borders, so I am guessing the yellow is for likes. Right -- wrong?

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Is there some way to see what a "Best Answer" post was? I see I have three, which leads me to think we are harboring at least one insane Nikon user.

I don't think so - apart from looking through the like/thanks list on your profile. I may suggest this as a feature to the people that make the modification though.

I have scanned this thread for the answer, but didn't find it. Some replies in some threads are bordered top & bottom with a yellow highlight. Does this indicate that the comment received over X number of likes? I found where Best Answer got Green borders, so I am guessing the yellow is for likes. Right -- wrong?

First post ;) But yes, you are correct.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't think so - apart from looking through the like/thanks list on your profile. I may suggest this as a feature to the people that make the modification though.

First post ;) But yes, you are correct.

Is there anyway to change that yellow? The only reason I'm asking is that when judging for monthly assignments, it gets really difficult to see the post # on the yellow border. Maybe if the yellow was a tad darker?

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Is there anyway to change that yellow? The only reason I'm asking is that when judging for monthly assignments, it gets really difficult to see the post # on the yellow border. Maybe if the yellow was a tad darker?

I can either do that or make the post number black. I have to look into it.

WayneF

I dislike the dislike feature, but was stunned to discover that my ID had disliked a post only a day or two ago. I really wasn't even aware there was a dislike yet, and feel quite certain I didn't do it. It was on a moderators post, which I had disagreed with in text, so I paranoidly imagine perhaps he did it for me? :) Dunno, or possibly somehow it actually was my error, but it seems simply inconceivable that I ever would have done that. I was able to remove it. That part was a good feature.

But if someone disagrees, the text forum is the place to explain why. Anonymous crap is no good for anything.

Stoshowicz

I'm curious how this works out, but Id add that the thank-like button didn't seem sufficient to get a feel for how folks actually felt about an image, just slapping likes on everything and anything makes the comment implied somewhat dilute, so I slowed up on adding likes and I'm mostly just using it as a "thanks-I concur" button now..
Ordinarily , I just don't know what a like (or conversely a lack of a comment) means to either myself or to someone else.. and -without some explanation- I figure I wont really know what a dislike means either, especially anonymous dislikes.
I don't know if its possible, but a tiny comment box next to a name regarding the reason for a 'like' or 'dislike' would at least help to point out if a like or dislike was deserved as a reasonable comment.

wornish

I'm curious how this works out, but Id add that the thank-like button didn't seem sufficient to get a feel for how folks actually felt about an image, just slapping likes on everything and anything makes the comment implied somewhat dilute, so I slowed up on adding likes and I'm mostly just using it as a "thanks-I concur" button now..
Ordinarily , I just don't know what a like (or conversely a lack of a comment) means to either myself or to someone else.. and -without some explanation- I figure I wont really know what a dislike means either, especially anonymous dislikes.
I don't know if its possible, but a tiny comment box next to a name regarding the reason for a 'like' or 'dislike' would at least help to point out if a like or dislike was deserved as a reasonable comment.

I think thats a good idea just liking everything doesn't really help people.

Eyelight

I like a post or photo when that's all I need to communicate. If I need to say more, I say more. But many times, the little glowing name is enough.

Sometimes we meet someone on the street or see a friend in passing and we don't use verbal communications, but just smile and/or wave. That's a like.

I came, I saw, I liked.

mikew_RIP

I like a post or photo when that's all I need to communicate. If I need to say more, I say more. But many times, the little glowing name is enough.

Sometimes we meet someone on the street or see a friend in passing and we don't use verbal communications, but just smile and/or wave. That's a like.

I came, I saw, I liked.

Well said,there is no better encouragement than a recognition of what you have done.

Stoshowicz

I came, I saw, I liked.

Would that mean you click like preferentially on pix of friends rather than on the merit of what you see in the photo?

Stoshowicz

Dont think he said that if you read whats there it says sometimes we meet someone on the street or see a friend in passing

Yes , the folks that one isnt aquainted with dont get the smile or wave.
Im not saying its even possible to be entirely neutral, its easy to smile on your friends..
but by that same token the meaning of the like button has shifted from liking the photo , to- I like that person.
One could just say they like them, or have chats with them apart from the photo thing.. and then they should know that you guys are friendly.
I like eyelight , we've been discussing some stuff and hes pretty cool guy. But if he likebuttons my pix I'd want to know why,, or at least that it was his genuine general sentiment on it.
Then I would be getting potentially useful feedback. If the button is uses otherwise, it becomes a popularity contest for personalities.