Lightroom 6 coming out Tuesday??

J-see

That PS is included is nice and dandy but the argument that PS normally costs 1k and you get it now for 5 bucks a month is a sales pitch.

I've got a coffee maker that makes a great cup of coffee. If you pay me 10$ a day, each morning you'll get a cup of the excellent coffee it produces. It's a real bargain considering you'd have to pay me 1.5 million for the coffee maker itself.

The fact I overprice my coffee maker doesn't make what I try to sell you cheap.

PS did cost a lot of money in the past, before all this Cloud-crap. It did also cost a lot to develop and constantly improve. And they had to improve if they wanted to sell newer versions. Hardly anyone would buy the next version if all they did was add two filters. It had to be worth the money. Now PS should not cost more than maybe 300$ as a standalone and that's even overpriced.

These days all it takes are some mediocre additions, some minor changes, and a whole lot of hot air when selling that are revolutionary. People are paying anyways so there's little incentive to be innovative. They know that even when there will be complaints, only a minority drops out. Humans are creatures of habit and it takes a whole lot to trigger change. All this ppm crap results into more mediocrity.

Look at cell-phone providers; they're only interested in you when you're not a customer. If you are, you no longer matter. You pay regardless.

Horoscope Fish

That PS is included is nice and dandy but the argument that PS normally costs 1k and you get it now for 5 bucks a month is a sales pitch.

I've got a coffee maker that makes a great cup of coffee. If you pay me 10$ a day, each morning you'll get a cup of the excellent coffee it produces. It's a real bargain considering you'd have to pay me 1.5 million for the coffee maker itself.

The fact I overprice my coffee maker doesn't make what I try to sell you cheap.

PS did cost a lot of money in the past, before all this Cloud-crap. It did also cost a lot to develop and constantly improve. And they had to improve if they wanted to sell newer versions. Hardly anyone would buy the next version if all they did was add two filters. It had to be worth the money. Now PS should not cost more than maybe 300$ as a standalone and that's even overpriced.

These days all it takes are some mediocre additions, some minor changes, and a whole lot of hot air when selling that are revolutionary. People are paying anyways so there's little incentive to be innovative. They know that even when there will be complaints, only a minority drops out. Humans are creatures of habit and it takes a whole lot to trigger change. All this ppm crap results into more mediocrity.

Look at cell-phone providers; they're only interested in you when you're not a customer. If you are, you no longer matter. You pay regardless.
For me the economics of $10 a month are not even worth discussing. Simply put, I probably lose more money than that every month in spare bills that get lost in the laundry. It amounts to picking up the tab for coffee for a couple co-workers at Starbucks. I don't miss the money, I don't even *think* about it. It's a lousy ten bucks that if I had I wouldn't notice. I'll think about freeware apps like RAW Therapee when they have lens correction profiles, brushes, content-awareness, accept plug-ins, have *real* tech support and the same size user-base the industry standards Lightroom and Photoshop do. Adobe software is the standard by which all other similar products are measured now and has *been* that measure for years because the industry demands the best.

And as for PPM killing innovation I think that's about bunk. Adobe was the first to come out with Content Aware tools. Adobe came out with Lens Correction Profiles. Adobe recently came out with Motion Blur Correction... Those are HUGE innovations with equally huge, practical, application for photographers. You can't know just how huge and innovative they are, though, can you? Because you don't HAVE them. But please, enlighten me on what, say... RAW Therapee has done for us lately? I'm curious what earth-shattering innovations it has to its credit.

Last edited:

J-see

But please, enlighten me on what, say... RAW Therapee has done for us lately? I'm curious what earth shattering innovations it has to it's credit.

It certainly was worth my investment.

You're free to compare RT against LR and see what both deliver.

What do you get after two years "innovation" between LR 5 and 6? Yeah right.

Btw, "content aware" isn't their idea; they picked it up after others started it and some even added scripts for PS.

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

It certainly was worth my investment.
And I'm sure you got what you paid for.

You're free to compare RT against LR and see what both deliver.
Pretty sure I just DID compare what LR/PS offer in comparison to RT, do I need to repeat it for you? Nevermind, talking to you is like talking to a brick wall with selective hearing.

What do you get after two years "innovation" between LR 5 and 6? Yeah right.
So, in short you've made up your mind and you don't want to be confused with the facts.

J-see

Facts? Is it because LR is that good, everyone is using plugins all the time?

I'm talking about LR solely. I don't even deny PS is good. It is. But for two years of LR development, there could have been something included actually worth the money.

Horoscope Fish

Facts? Is it because LR is that good, everyone is using plugins all the time?

I'm talking about LR solely. I don't even deny PS is good. It is. But for two years of LR development, there could have been something included actually worth the money.
I understand perfectly what you're talking about.

I also understand you've formed your opinion's and are immune to rational discourse on the subject.

J-see

I understand perfectly what you're talking about.

I also understand you've formed your opinion's and are immune to rational discourse on the subject.

If I have to understand rational as in agreement, then yes I fear I'm irrational.

But it's ok. I'm perfectly (not even close) happy with RT and you are with LR so all's well.

BackdoorArts

This thread reminds me why I took a vacation from this place. Every post needs an individually redundant reply. I'll keep my thoughts to myself instead.

LouCioccio

I'll add my 2¢. Both camps are right CC or no CC. The tools you have at your disposal work for you then its okay. I have a an old Hand SAW and as long as I keep it sharp and I know how to use it will cut a board and I also have a Dewalt Circular SAW that I have to plug in the outlet and as long as I know how to use it still cuts the board BUT much quicker!

So too if I have Photoshop CS4 and Photoshop CC I can still do the basics on the image I am working on. SO the choice is pay monthly or not. One of the reasons I cut the cable back in the 80's (1980's) and have used a roof antenna with a rotator and have been lucky to live on hill. I can turn it north and I get Canada, if I turn it west sometimes I can get Cleveland but East I can get Buffalo and finally south I get (but I can get them anyway its pointed as they are close) the local stations.

So each of us have the choice whether to use CC or not and even look at other software. I happen to like OnOne as does layers and LR (as far as I know does not and may be wrong).

It probably why each of us has a different make of automobiles.

Lou Cioccio

PS those ads on Digital Antennas are full of it as the only change are the TV stations still sending RF signal as digital and the new TV's receive Digital signals. So even rabbit ears and foil will still work on a digital TV. Its marketing!

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I can understand why some people don't want to splurge on PCC and/or LCC...especially if they won't be using the software enough to justify the price. Or...for those who own D3xxx's or D5xxx's or older model bodies, it might not be for them.

But for those who plunk down money for a D810, a D750, and/or other really expensive gear, I can't fathom why they would prefer not to use this software. To me it's like buying an expensive sports car and using the cheapest fluids (oil, anti-freeze) etc from Walmart. :confused:

Years ago a friend of mine bought a stand alone version of Photoshop which cost hundreds of dollars. When a newer version came out, she complained about having to shell out hundreds more so she continued to use the older version. I wouldn't want to plunk down that amount of money for software that will bcome outdated. With the subscription, it allows me to have the latest versions of PCC and Lightroom for what I consider to be a fair price.

And one of the features I like about PCC is the ability to print from a variety of printer profiles. That wasn't an option in PSE10 which is the last version of Elements that I own. Jake once mentioned the ability to choose printer profiles...otherwise I doubt I would have noticed for a long, long time.

Horoscope Fish

If I have to understand rational as in agreement, then yes I fear I'm irrational.
Rational I mean based on reason or logic; which your arguments are NOT. You don't answer questions like what innovations RT has provided, you just make wild accusations that have no basis in fact and sometimes I wonder if they're even in touch with reality. As Jake has pointed out in the past, sometimes you go so far down the rabbit hole responding to your post's becomes foolish.

I fully admit I'm willing to follow you down that hole, probably deeper than most, but even so I'm only willing to go "so far"; and when you start spouting off how Adobe is suppressing innovation, I know we have reached the Point of No Return.

J-see

Rational I mean based on reason or logic; which your arguments are NOT. You don't answer questions like what innovations RT has provided, you just make wild accusations that have no basis in fact and sometimes I wonder if they're even in touch with reality. As Jake has pointed out in the past, sometimes you go so far down the rabbit hole responding to your post's becomes foolish.

I fully admit I'm willing to follow you down that hole, probably deeper than most, but even so I'm only willing to go "so far"; and when you start spouting off how Adobe is suppressing innovation, I know we have reached the Point of No Return.

Since RT is provided freely, it doesn't need to be innovative. It just so happens to be good which is good enough for me. I could list what makes it better than LR if you desire.

LR charges money for each new version which would require at least something more than facial recognition or "basic" HDR. If they'd not be doing Cloud, would you get the new version because of those new features?

I would not which is why I won't even pay the 80€ they charge for the upgrade. They could do much better, especially when considering there have been almost two years between the releases. What they do now is what I call cashing in easy money. If tomorrow they're worth their money, I'll pay it gladly.

At once and only once.

Last edited:

Blacktop

Wow! Another thread turning into a worthless pissing contest. You know, I've defended you [MENTION=31330]J-see[/MENTION] in the past because you had a right to express your opinion. Now you are just berating people who feel different about a product. Fine, we get it it. You are against against CC and you like standalone shit better. No one is forcing you to buy anything. I happen to love the convenience of CC and the price. You don't. GET OVER IT.

If someone ask for my opinion I will give it but never will I call someone stupid or dumb for THEIR opinion, which is exactly what you're doing.

J-see

Wow! Another thread turning into a worthless pissing contest. You know, I've defended you @J-see in the past because you had a right to express your opinion. Now you are just berating people who feel different about a product. Fine, we get it it. You are against against CC and you like standalone shit better. No one is forcing you to buy anything. I happen to love the convenience of CC and the price. You don't. GET OVER IT.

If someone ask for my opinion I will give it but never will I call someone stupid or dumb for THEIR opinion, which is exactly what you're doing.

I'm not berating anyone. I don't fancy ppm and prefer standalone "shit" because I don't depend on them and it forces them to do better.

So I'm not in favor and if all in favor say aye all the time, I will say nay. I can handle when people disagree with me.

Pretzel

*washes hands* Let's all agree to disagree and get back to normal posting.

Some of the new LR features sound bonzer, and I'm itching to go home and update today. Anyone messed with it already and have any highlights as to what I should dabble in first?

Blacktop

*washes hands* Let's all agree to disagree and get back to normal posting.

Some of the new LR features sound bonzer, and I'm itching to go home and update today. Anyone messed with it already and have any highlights as to what I should dabble in first?

You are upgrading through Adobe CC, correct?

If LRCC 2015 wont open for you after the upgrade, sign out of CC and sign back in, then it should work.

I messed with it for a few last night but will give it a workout this weekend. First impressions is that it seems a bit slower then 5.7.1. I have only an 8GIG machine and it's maxed out on RAM. They do say however that this version is quicker, so maybe I have unwanted processes bogging down my shit. Must check into it this weekend.

I played with the "merge" feature, but still prefer Photomatix for my HDR's.

Also I was expecting "layers" in this release but it did not happen. Good thing I get full blown PS for my pocket change every month. LOL!

Krs_2007

Well, just downloaded but also have the standalone -1 version that is still installed. Went to start up the CC version and it won't start. I need to find the post on here that I thought talked about that, but maybe I was dreaming. Restarted and it still won't start. Ill post back if I figure it out.

Blacktop

Well, just downloaded but also have the standalone -1 version that is still installed. Went to start up the CC version and it won't start. I need to find the post on here that I thought talked about that, but maybe I was dreaming. Restarted and it still won't start. Ill post back if I figure it out.

Look above you.:D If it still won't start after you sign in and out then uninstall LRCC 2015 and re install it.