Lightroom 6 coming out Tuesday??

Krs_2007

You can always down load the product if you so choose. Its 149.00 for lightroom.

I think if you have multiple devices desktop/laptop/mobile devices then the new direction will really work for you. I'm really weighing the cost versus use at this time. I dont do a lot of layers and have another product that will do the same, so its a decision everyone will make on their own. I have CC, the cost is nothing for me but I have always kept my version of lightroom.

J-see

I had the previous standalone but deleted it from both computers after I started using RT.

I didn't use the album structure anyways so for me it was too much a hog for what it delivered. Those who use all it provides might enjoy it more.

Krs_2007

Honestly I only switched to it because Apple was no longer support Aperture. But I am fast approaching the additional cost, additional id/password and possible hack again for Adobe. I dont know, just feeling the need to simplify. Might check out RT and a few others.

J-see

Honestly I only switched to it because Apple was no longer support Aperture. But I am fast approaching the additional cost, additional id/password and possible hack again for Adobe. I dont know, just feeling the need to simplify. Might check out RT and a few others.

I got annoyed (that's an euphemism) when they refused to sell me a standalone of PS even while I was willing to pay the full price for a soon to be outdated version. That's when I got rid of all Adobe-ware, even the flash player. I'm still struggling with Gimp as a replacement of PS mainly because I used PS too long to get over it easy. And there's nothing as good, it got to be said. But LR isn't that great. It's a great all-rounder for photography but not a great RAW editor. That's why all those plugins sell that good.

RT is much, much better. But it lacks some basic features that are handy and now require an additional program.

Krs_2007

I bought Perfect Photo Suite long before I went with Adobe and I have gimp. Which using gimp was what got me interested in Photo Shop, but I have only used it a hand full of times. Who knows, may keep it, still trying to figure it out.

J-see

I'd give RT a try if I was you. It's a fantastic editor but could crash once in a while. Nothing disastrous about that besides just annoying.

It's a bit complex and you get slider-scare when you first open it but when you manage to get through the first rough learning period, you'll notice how good it is. It does 32 bit floating point calculations which delivers great quality but can drain resources on older computers.

Woodyg3

Contributor
I'll update to 6 when it's been out for a bit and any kinks are worked out. The creative cloud idea sounded horrible to me at first, but now that I have it I'm happy. If I had purchased LR 5 a few weeks ago, I'd now be shelling out again for LR 6.

Horoscope Fish

I'll update to 6 when it's been out for a bit and any kinks are worked out. The creative cloud idea sounded horrible to me at first, but now that I have it I'm happy. If I had purchased LR 5 a few weeks ago, I'd now be shelling out again for LR 6.
I don't know anyone who's actually tried Creative Cloud that doesn't like it.

Camera RAW updated to v9.0 as well... Nikon D5500 & D7200 users, rejoice!

LouCioccio

Not sure which version you have but the latest OnOne 9.5 is a lot more responsive than 9.0 a major improvement. I've used LR on and off and did update to the LR6 the desktop version. I am not really sold on the cloud software even though it will work with out Internet service for 30days before it HAS to be re-activated. I have been playing around with several different apps both windows and mac versions. On the Mac side Acorn and Pixelmator show more promise than earlier version especially when Adobe went with cloud base software. Anytime I had full version of Photoshop I upgraded one or two versions later until Adobe stopped that and ended with CS5e. It really depends what you do in Photoshop I think all you need is Layers and Masks after that plugins seem to do just as good. MacPhun has been putting out great software and that another one to look at besides NIK from Google. There is German one that has windows and mac os that does Layers and Masks I thin its called PhotoLine from which has some good features. I really think with Adobe going to the cloud a lot of developers have some very good photo editing software.
Lou Cioccio

kevy73

I don't know anyone who's actually tried Creative Cloud that doesn't like it.

Never tried the CC... is it truly worth it? What are the advantages over the standalone desktop version? I have a mental image in my head of it being super slow because of the file size of each image. I am obviously incorrect in that assumption.

Michael J.

Capture NX-D and ViewNX-i, I think is not that bad.

I use LR 5.7 Today They told me that an upgrade is available. I clicked at got to their page where I should cloud buy.

Krs_2007

Never tried the CC... is it truly worth it? What are the advantages over the standalone desktop version? I have a mental image in my head of it being super slow because of the file size of each image. I am obviously incorrect in that assumption.

Not slow, actually the software is installed locally so no performance decrease. You just have to sign in for license checking every 30 days or something like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Horoscope Fish

I think the biggest advantage of CC over stand-alone is that you get all the updates, automatically, just as soon as they're available. Also, I think there's a lot of confusion surrounding Creative Cloud applications because of Adobe using the word "Cloud"...

The Creative Cloud applications (Lightroom, Photoshop and Bridge) reside on your computer exactly like stand-alone versions. You will install the applications on your hard drive just like you would any other application. You do not need to be on the Internet, or even have an Internet connection, to use the applications routinely. The only thing Creative Cloud requires a connection to the Internet for is so that the Creative Cloud background application can "phone home" to Adobe once a month to make sure your account is still active. Well, that and too update your applications. Having Creative Cloud, really, is no different than having stand-alone versions of the software installed except you get updates, all of them, immediately.

J-see

I think the biggest advantage of CC over stand-alone is that you get all the updates, automatically, just as soon as they're available.

The same is (was) true for the standalone version. You get all updates identical as the ppm, just not the new version updates. When I was waiting on the D750 update for LR, I got it the same day as the cloud users.

In practice the two differ little. You pay and can work with the software. The only difference surfaces the moment you no longer pay.

Last edited:

Blacktop

Kevin. For 10 bucks a month you get LR and PS . They are basically a stand alone version. There is no difference what so ever.
You download the Adobe CC desktop application. Within that application you get PS, LR ,Bridge and a few other apps that I don't use nor need.
All these things reside in your computer, NOT IN THE CLOUD. This is the biggest misconception out there.

The only time you ever need to be online is when you're updating a program or the Adobe CC desktop app itself. You do not need to be online to use any of the programs. It sits in your computer.

Believe me, I was a big opponent of this as well before I actually tried it. Now I'm loving the shit out of it and would never ever think of buying a standalone LR or PS.
You also have 30 days to try it and get used to it.

egosbar

happy to get the upgrade , happy to pay the ten bucks a month , 2.50 a week is a great price hopefully ill be paying that same amount in ten years

SteveH

I guess the tipping point of whether CC is worth the money or not comes down to how much you would use it....
If you would only use it once or twice a week, I'd guess you would be better waiting until Amazon have one of their fire-sales and getting the stand-alone version - I got Elements for £25 ($37) and LR 5 for £60 ($89) as stand-alone.

I think now though, I am going to switch over to CC - I was looking just last night that my 1 year old D7100 is approaching 10,000 actuations so at £10 a month I would get a lot of use out of the suite!

Last edited:

J-see

The standalone is cheaper than the CC version of Lightroom. That they include PS does not change that.

This will likely be the last standalone version of LR so for 7, none needs to worry which version to buy.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I think the biggest advantage of CC over stand-alone is that you get all the updates, automatically, just as soon as they're available. Also, I think there's a lot of confusion surrounding Creative Cloud applications because of Adobe using the word "Cloud"...

The Creative Cloud applications (Lightroom, Photoshop and Bridge) reside on your computer exactly like stand-alone versions. You will install the applications on your hard drive just like you would any other application. You do not need to be on the Internet, or even have an Internet connection, to use the applications routinely. The only thing Creative Cloud requires a connection to the Internet for is so that the Creative Cloud background application can "phone home" to Adobe once a month to make sure your account is still active. Well, that and too update your applications. Having Creative Cloud, really, is no different than having stand-alone versions of the software installed except you get updates, all of them, immediately.
.....but you have to eternally pay for them.....or you get cut off.....I am using CC now but might go back to stand alone when I see what LR 6 has to offer. If it's not that big a deal, then I'll stick with 5.7. I'm not sure I need the newest LR, and I definitely don't need PS. I figured for $9.99, I'd try it for a while.