Jake's Backdoor Hippie-palooza, 2014 Edition

BackdoorArts

How do you make a photo sharper in post production? Is there a simple answer to that question?

No. :)

When shooting RAW no sharpening is applied outside of what you apply within your processing. With JPEG there are sharpening settings within each of the camera profiles you can choose from. So, if you're shooting RAW and not consciously sharpening your photos, and then wondering why yours may not be as crisp as other folks', there's your answer.

There are many ways to sharpen a photo, and good and bad times to apply sharpening. I've been through too many tutorials and tried many methods and have been fans of one method only to abandon it when I find something better. Some methods work better than others for particular types of photography. No easy answers - some things you need to figure out yourself.

Me? I sharpen 3 times.

First, I "pre-sharpen". The purpose of this step is only to make sure that the image I start with looks in focus and the lines are well defined. I've abandoned using the ACR Sharpening box and now have that set to 0 on all my import presets. What method I use to get it there depends on the starting point and the ISO. I always apply noise reduction with Nik Dfine 2.0 first before anything else. The lower the ISO, the more I can usually work the pre-sharpening, but you need to be careful not to amplify any noise (masking becomes very important) as it will be your enemy throughout the rest of post.

Second, I final sharpen the full size image. Once I've got all the light manipulation done and the image looks like I want, I will apply sharpening again to the full size image, not to enhance it, but to make sure it looks good at size. Here is where I will often use the Lightroom Sharpening section against the PSD file. I first slide the Masking slider to the right while holding down the Option/Alt button so I can see the mask. I bring it far enough to the right so that only those lines I want sharpened are showing. Then I'll bring up the sharpening slider until it is just sharp enough and no more. Why? Because...

Third, I sharpen the re-sized image. I use the Lightroom Export function to produce my resized images. Many folks do it in Photoshop and I understand why, but I like doing it this way. When I export, my preset has Output Sharpening turned off. Once the image is exported, I open the exported image and inspect it for sharpness. I will then use one of several methods to apply sharpening. Here' I like a method that produces a high pass-like mask in a separate layer that I can then use with various blend modes (Overlay, Soft Light or Vivid Light usually) and levels of opacity. Once I'm happy with it, I flatten the image and re-save the jpeg.

Voila!!

Alas, the devil is in the details. There are lots of sharpening tutorials out there, and many contradict a lot of what I do. Most people will tell you not to sharpen ever until the very last step. I get that, and when I was just starting I realized that this is because a beginner is going to try to get things razor sharp first and then move on to light adjustments. But sharpening essentially creates a barely perceptible luminance boundary against your lines, and when you start playing with light those things become halos VERY quickly. The key is to never overdo it ("Guilty!!", countless times), and learn from the times you do.

BackdoorArts

Blueberry & Yellowjackets

In case you don't notice, this is ISO 6400 on the D600.

20140820-D6A_4596-Edit.jpg

BackdoorArts

Thanks for the little rundown on sharpening. I have been really thinking about getting the Nik software package recently.

Please note, this is my sharpening method and it's developed within my workflow over the course of the last year and a half since the "sharpening lightbulb" went off over my head. Had I tried doing this from day one I would have likely had some awful photos.

My recommendation to people just starting out with this would be to learn to pre-sharpen properly. ACR/Lightroom defaults sharpening of RAW files to 25, and most people are happy to just let that sit as is like it's a magic number. I recommend one of two things, either set it to 0 and update your default while learning to sharpen using other tools in Photoshop, or learn how to set it properly using the Masking slider, knowing that you need to balance it carefully with noise adjustment since sharpening will sharpen noise as well (which is why I set it to 0, go to Photoshop, reduce noise, and then pre-sharpen).

As for the Nik tools, they have 2 sharpening tools in there, and I don't use either of them. Not because they're not good (I don't know), I've just learned other methods.

Krs_2007

@BackdoorHippie, Thanks for the info on the sharpening above, I would have never thought to re-import and apply sharpening again with the use of the mask. I just tried this and it makes a huge difference in what I had exported and uploaded. I really need to nail down a solid workflow, its kind of like information overflow and my brain just shuts down sometimes.

That sharpening bit should be in the educational section, when we get one. Good points in all 3 steps

BackdoorArts

Popped into a nearby lobby to cool off yesterday during a sweltering Easton Farmer's Market. If you can't quite get the first photo, maybe the second will help?

20140906-D71_4764-Edit.jpg

20140906-D71_4763.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Hmm. I haven't been around for a while and expected to see lots and lots of uber-gorgeous images from you. Whatcha been doin', Jake? Anything new lately? :)

BackdoorArts

Crazy month personally and mainly work-wise. Most shots I took were done on Saturdays and uploaded to either the Farmers' Market thread or the Bike Rally thread. Easily 50-100 for the month, so go have at it. Been in FL for the last week bouncing from one side of the family to the other. I'm alive but about 1000 photos in arrears from a review and editing standpoint.

Don't worry about my shots ... get out and shoot!! ;)

BackdoorArts

I'm baaaaaaaack!!!

LOL

Real quick - here are some of my FL shots. I spent far more time shooting family than I did shooting for pleasure, and even when I tried that the wildlife didn't cooperate much.

Ft. Myers:

A couple panoramas from my Mom's place...

20140929-E60_0934-Edit.jpg

20140928-E60_0890-Edit.jpg

A pair of Bald Eagles that are nesting right behind her friend's place...

20140929-D71_5887-Edit.jpg

And an iPhone captured Sunrise (camera-shmamera!!)

20140930-IMG_3324-Edit.jpg

Merritt Island Wildlife Preserve

20141002-D71_6045-Edit.jpg

20141002-D71_6046-Edit.jpg

20141002-E60_1023-Edit.jpg

(Note - treatment is for a photo challenge on another site)

20141002-E60_1027-Edit.jpg

20141002-D71_6015-Edit.jpg

(note that the two bits at the top of the web are what's left of 2 dragonflies - this arachnid was about 6-7" tip-to-tip)