Jake's Backdoor Hippie-palooza, 2014 Edition

BackdoorArts

The DEDPXL challenge currently is Reflections. I've done a lot of water type reflections and conventional stuff, so I decided to see what I could come up with that was a little out of the ordinary. Let's see if any of these get critiqued.

Propane Exchange

20140816-D71_3830-Edit.jpg

"Why do you sound like you're under water?"

20140816-D71_3820-Edit.jpg

Wigs & Hats

20140816-D71_3916-Edit.jpg

BackdoorArts

Bike Rack Street Art, Easton, PA

20140816-D71_3871-Edit-Edit.jpg

Lesson learned here, never underestimate the power of perspective correction. This photo was near impossible to capture with the lens/body combination I had as there were cars parked along the sidewalk, along with signs, parking meters flower boxes, etc. It was shot looking up the street and the converging lines would have made for a rather unpleasant image. Or at least a distracting one. Outside of the sidewalk lines it would be hard to tell it looked like this OOC...

D71_3871.jpg

RockyNH_RIP

The DEDPXL challenge currently is Reflections. I've done a lot of water type reflections and conventional stuff, so I decided to see what I could come up with that was a little out of the ordinary. Let's see if any of these get critiqued.

Propane Exchange

"Why do you sound like you're under water?"

Wigs & Hats

Nicely done and an interesting concept... Best wishes..

Pat in NH

BackdoorArts

That's about as sharp as I've gotten with my 150-500mm. After looking at others I'm really starting to think that I need some better glass.

BackdoorArts

Any ideas on what you are considering? Possibly Tamron?

any sharper and you'd have x-ray! Just kidding....I'm sure it could be sharper, but when's it sharp enough?

I'd offer up this thread as an example (from the Fred Miranda forum - not sure if you need membership to see it) Finishing the Season with a Bang (30) - FM Forums

I'm not saying mine isn't sharp enough. I've posted plenty of photos I'm proud of that are less sharp. But as I mentioned in the Don't Hurt Yourself thread, I aspire to something better, and for wildlife there's a crispness (OK, tack sharpness) that sets off the best from the rest, and I believe that to get it you need glass that performs. At this point I'm vacillating between a Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 or biting the bullet and going just straight Nikon 300mm f/2.8, with TC's on tip of it (that Sigma is the only 3rd party lens I'd consider for this purpose). There is definitely a level of sharpness to a fixed length prime lens that cannot be replicated with a zoom, and when I can peak at the EXIF data of those photos I admire most it seems that a long prime is being used. This is when a "hobby" becomes expensive. Thankfully I have some things from my 6-string hobby that have needed selling for a while and I can likely make this happen if I want.

Before that, however, I want to make sure I'm doing what I need to to maximize what I have. For example, this shot was handheld at 400mm. My opinion is that if I'd simply put this on a monopod that I'd likely have more crisp keepers, and might even raise the level of sharpness a touch. Develop that habit and if I'm still disappointed with the results then it's justified upgrading. Until then I'm using equipment as the excuse instead of an excuse.

Thinking about it some more, I also need to go in and profile the D7100 with that lens (can't believe I haven't) along with a full set of profiles on the D600 and D610 which haven't been done yet.

BackdoorArts

Ruby-Throated Hummer

20140821-D71_4459-Edit.jpg

I played with this one a bit in post to see just how sharp I could get it without going over the top. There's details in these shots to coax out and I just need to spend some time figuring out how. Credit to Jimmy McIntyre and the folks at Shutter Evolve who have some great tools and tutorials around luminosity masks, which I'm beginning to realize are the absolute cornerstone of getting the most out of your images - HDR or otherwise (and thanks to MoabMan for bringing the concept up a month ago and making me learn something new that day).