Is the Nikon D600 the perfect enthusiast FX camera?

Rick M

Agreed. And, I can't imagine a full-metal body cam's internal parts surviving a bang that would damage the guts of a plastic body, either.

But, on the other hand, I do understand the significance of having a dust and water-resistant camera when out in the field shooting in the Amazon jungle or Kalahari desert. If they wanted to, they could add those features to a full-plastic body.

Yes those features are more important to me than mag alloy. It's all marketing, you have to pay for mag alloy to get weather sealing. Plastic nowadays is a far cry from when plastic was labelled as a cheap substitute for metal. Plastic bodies now are rock solid.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I've never damaged a camera , not even 100% plastic ones. Are there people that beat up their cameras? Magnesium alloy? do we REALLY need that? I find this all a bit funny. I could not imagine the internal componets of my D5100 surviving (undamaged) any hit hard enough to break the D5100's "cheap" body. Unless I was in a war zone, I think I can survive without mag alloy :).

It is needed on some useless debate cases when discussing with the other fan boys. ;)

Dave_W

The Dude
Wait until you have that one accident where you and/or your camera goes slamming down on the ground with force THEN you'll understand the need for a magnesium frame.

Rick M

I'm not trying to start a debate, just saying I think we go a little overboard on some of these features and the reality of how important/needed they really are. Seems more like marketing to me than real neccesity.

SamSpade1941

Thats what I have insurance for.

Insurance is awesome but that does not keep you shooting after the impact. I watched someone drop a D2x at the Wichita Wildlife Refuge it bounced down the side of a steep slope impacting some rocks on the way down. The 35mm f1.8 lens he was using was toast. He put another lens on it and kept shooting. Judging from his kit, I am betting he probably had a spare body but he did not need it. In my case I need it and don't have it cause if something happens to my camera I am done till the insurance can replace / repair my camera.

Having the magnesium frame is cool and in a pinch could allow you to finish shooting photos that day or send you home early. I think it is a good move on Nikon's part.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I'm not trying to start a debate, just saying I think we go a little overboard on some of these features and the reality of how important/needed they really are. Seems more like marketing to me than real neccesity.

I have yet to destroy and damage any of my camera due to impact. The magnesium alloy is probably needed by some users but not to most IMO. Casual photogs who are on a budget will welcome a slightly stripped down camera and in return get to experience the wider field of view of a full frame camera and the lighter weight that the DX cameras offer (except for the D200/300 series).

Stangman98

Ok back on track here. While reviewing the D600 on paper I see little if any improvement over a D7000 or D300 for that matter in almost every relm with the exception that it's an FX body. There is no way that I am spending 2K on a 600 over a 700. I don't need all those damn Mpegs or Video! If I want an FX body it will be either a used D3 or a new D4

Eye-level

Banned
Like megapixels for instance? :)

When Nikon introduced the first plastic lenses - Series E - along with the first plastic body the EM it was a huge flop and I am sure it was derided and spit on and everything else. Well guess what? There are still tons of perfectly functioning Series E lenses and EM's around some 30 years later.

I don't have a problem with plastic or mag alloy but man I would really like to have titanium.

Last edited:

AC016

ABS plastic is awesome! I think mag alloy bodies or semi mag alloy bodies like the D7k, certainly serve a purpose. It's like rifle stalks: synthetic or wood? Both are very durable, but the wood stalk will break before the synthetic one will. Synthetic will also last a lot longer and will deal with the elements better. It's also lighter to carry around. Mag alloy camera bodies are made for the folks who bring their cameras into environments that you or i would not think of. I don't need one, but the guy who who is runing around in war zone, banging his camera up against walls and the ground might want one.

AC016

For those of you who seem to think that mag alloy body cams can only take a beating, think again. You would have to either shoot an entry/mid level camera with a rifle, hit it with a sledge hammer or drop it off the CN Tower for it to stop working. I believe the inserted video says it all:

Last edited:

Tami Jo

Yeah he is a character isn't he. But he does prove a point. Our cameras are quite a bit more durable than we think. Not that I would be a bit careless having viewed that mind you but one can rest a bit in knowing that they can handle the little minor mishaps that may occur.

Phillydog1958

Yeah he is a character isn't he. But he does prove a point. Our cameras are quite a bit more durable than we think. Not that I would be a bit careless having viewed that mind you but one can rest a bit in knowing that they can handle the little minor mishaps that may occur.

Yep. I subscribe to him on Youtube. He's always got a funny, nerdy way of making some really valid photography-related points. I also subscribe to Jared Polin and Snapchick as well as a few others.

Tami Jo

Yep. I subscribe to him on Youtube. He's always got a funny, nerdy way of making some really valid photography-related points. I also subscribe to Jared Polin and Snapchick as well as a few others.

I will have to log in and add him. I did recently added Jared, he's a character also.

Photowyzard

Let's see:

24 mp FX
5 fps
- and lots of other goodies to round it off and a $2K price point?

I think this camera will be another huge hit out of the ball park for Nikon.

aZuMi

Both these guys are Nikon users. Same as thenikonguy, all very informative videos.

Going back to D600, went to a couple of stores to try my luck in preordering...and no luck. They're waiting for the announcements as well.

Last edited:

Phillydog1958

Both these guys are Nikon users. Same as thenikonguy, all very informative videos.

Going back to D600, went to a couple I stores to try my luck in preordering...and no luck. They're waiting for the announcements as well.

Yep. thenikonguy is also one that I subscribe to. They're all Nikon users, including Snap Chick. I also like her, because she gives a female perspective.

I'm hearing that the D600 might just be launched at Photokina, later this month, over in Cologne, Germany. Anyone else hearing that?