How much would you pay for a used D700 now ( march/april 2012 )

Billy Y.

He wants a d800 for 8x10 family prints and picture viewing on a flat screen? Lol his D700 is more than perfect for that. Seriously though that was an interesting bit about the time it takes to post process. I kept thinking about storage, and I have a really fast graphics computer, but even with the 20meg files of my d7000 I still experience some lag now and then. More to ponder.... I think it could be a great all around camera, switch to DX for sports or wildlife, FX for landscape. But, shooting lossless RAW would fill a 1 gig card in 15 photos, 240 shots will fill your 16 gig card. Ouch.

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
To me the D800 is something that one would need first class lenses, first class tripods, audio gear for the video stuff...I mean if you have the D800 you ARE a serious individual about the photography not just some snapshot artist like me trying to deliver something better than a snapshot for the sheer joy of it all either that or just have the money to do it right or to the hilt or whatever. It is great that we have so many options.

Jeff - was this message intended for me? (LOL!) ;)

@Marcel - this is for you since I assume you are a piano teacher. This is our friend's son who just graduated HS and on his way to college. We requested him to play the piano for us. He was hesitant since he has not used it in a while.

D800E with Nikon 28mm f1.8G. Mono only (no external mic).

Wonderful tonight

Eye-level

Banned
No sir not at you intentionally but you are a man who can afford and has such gear and I think you are pretty serious about it (I just wish you'd post more damn snaps! ) :) ...more power to you I am all ears hoping to learn something from you sir! Especially about the video stuff and I don't even like video!

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Jeff - was this message intended for me? (LOL!) ;)

@Marcel - this is for you since I assume you are a piano teacher. This is our friend's son who just graduated HS and on his way to college. We requested him to play the piano for us. He was hesitant since he has not used it in a while.

D800E with Nikon 28mm f1.8G. Mono only (no external mic).

Wonderful tonight

Nice clip Glenn. I'm a piano technician, not a teacher by the way. I'm trying to get a book together of all my customers with their pianos. I still have a lot of work ahead of me.

So are you 100% happy with your 800E, any problems whatsoever?

I'm still on the fence. :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hi Marcel - I am happy with the D800E except for the left focus issue. Once I read enough from other users that Nikon was able to fix this issue, then I'll send mine over. Some owners have spot on AF and some don't. It is still under warranty anyway.

To me, this is only visible if you are using a f1.4 or f1.8 lens and shooting wide open. Above f2.8, you would hardly see the difference. I normally recompose most of the time or if I am shooting a group shot, I end up with f5.6 just to get the DOF that I need.

I would wait a bit or if the rebates that Nikon offers are enticing enough, it might be worth considering the D800.

Ruidoso Bill

Nice clip Glenn. I'm a piano technician, not a teacher by the way. I'm trying to get a book together of all my customers with their pianos. I still have a lot of work ahead of me.

So are you 100% happy with your 800E, any problems whatsoever?

I'm still on the fence. :)

Nice video, I notice you are using Vimeo, I just recently switched to Vimeo to get away from Youtube. The suggested videos on youtube became a nusiance.

Eye-level

Banned
What is stopping my D5000 from doing video with old lenses? Maybe I haven't been messing with it thoroughly enough?

Nevermind I figured it out...they hide the video in the D5000, the AF system sucks, so you use manual focus...now I need to see if the old lenses work...24 fps nice vintage feel so they say...and Nikon beats Canon at video with this one!

http://www.photographybay.com/2009/05/19/canon-rebel-t1i-vs-nikon-d5000-video-comparison/

Last edited:

Billy Y.

So Ive been thinking a lot the last few hours and I am definitely going to buy the d800, samy's and Norman camera both have it in stock for 2999, and I'd spend 2/3 that on the d700. With the 800 I won't need my DX d7000 anymore so I can sell that, and I already have the right batteries for the 800. I can continue to shoot in dx format and use the fx for landscapes, a subject that doesn't require one to shoot a lot of frames per second. One other thing I thought about was that it will actually be a bonus to be more selective about what shots I keep. Rather then letting my HD fill up with mediocre photos. Something I've been a bit lazy about in the past.

fotojack

I'll stick with my D200. Still takes great pics, and it doesn't do video! lol :) I have a camera that does one thing only, and does it very well.Video belongs to video cameras, not still cameras. Ever wonder what the DSC_xxxx means in your files? It stands for Digital Still Camera. There. Now ya know how I feel about it. :)

I'm hoping that the rumoured D600 doesn't have video. I'd be tempted to get one. :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I'll stick with my D200. Still takes great pics, and it doesn't do video! lol :) I have a camera that does one thing only, and does it very well.Video belongs to video cameras, not still cameras. Ever wonder what the DSC_xxxx means in your files? It stands for Digital Still Camera. There. Now ya know how I feel about it. :)

I'm hoping that the rumoured D600 doesn't have video. I'd be tempted to get one. :)

Jack - I understand where you are coming from and my way of thinking used to be that way with my D700. I purchased a dedicated $400 HD video camera before just to shoot my kid's school activities. After comparing the quality and resolution of that video camera, I simply returned it to the store. It doesn't even come close to the video performance of my D7000.

The majority and younger generation will disagree with you. Imagine moms carrying both camera and video camera to school functions. Not happening. Maybe medium format will remain a dedicated camera but not with today's technology. Time to move on and accept the fact that video will remain integrated with DSLRs.

Just look at the battle between Canon and Nikon at the Olympics. They all wanted to market how great their cameras and the quality of the video coverage that it can do using their DSLRs. Just my two cents. ;)

Curt

Well I am (with a little luck) getting a D700 on Monday. I found a private deal in great shape with only 4000 clicks on it. I will also get the grip & two batteries with it.
He is also (throughing) throwing in a D70 body all for $2100. Hope the deal goes through :).

Last edited by a moderator:

stmv

sounds about fari,, a used D70 is about 200 dollars, and a used D700 is around 1700-2000 depending on the shape, but at 4K that D700 is almost new, so enjoy.