How much would you pay for a used D700 now ( march/april 2012 )

stmv

yeah,, 2300 brand new, and between 1500-1800 ebay prices for used. While I will buy lens on ebay, I am agreeing in the camp that better to just pay the delta and get one with warranty/and zero wear. After all, these are expensive/complex machines, that can quickly become a total headache.

On the other hand,, uggg,,,, 2300 is a lot of money for such old design. I bought my first D700 on sale at 2100 dollars! and second one for 2250, so,, this camera has not dropped!. So,, if you spend 2300 dollars, and poof, they come out with a D600 with 16-24 Million sensor, video, Dual slots, better autofocus for 2200 dollars!

I have always waited until the new model comes out, and bought right away. It has been my experience that the price does not drop and often actually goes up.

Then, 3-4 years later, the new model comes out, sell the camera for only a few hundred less than purchase (because usually they are still in production because Nikon overlaps quite a bit), and upgrade.

The risk of course is that you get a dud (like the AF issue), but knock on wood, I have gone thru 5 models with no duds.

To answer your question, I gues if I could get a D700 for say 1500 dollars with say 30K shots, well,, ok.

Billy Y.

Adorama, b&h, and amazon aren't going much below $1700, and even the 1700 ones may be in questionable condition. I haven't checked eBay, I thought they would come down more with the 800 release, but they really haven't.

Curt

Well I had a line on a D 700 for a great price, but the guy changed his mind. So I will just stick with my D7000 for now.
Too much of a hassle to try and find one right now. I am not paying big bucks for a used body...lol.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Half empty or half full? I would look at it as a way to get a D800 for about $1100. I mean really marcel, with the 800's dx mode you would have no use for your d7000 either. :cool:

I just like it too much. With the size of the pixels on the 700, I can shoot hand held at around 1/25s and get away with it. I can't do that with the 7000 and I don't think I would with the 800 either. The smaller pixels are just too close together for comfort. I've been using the D700 mainly for my piano persons project and I just love the results I'm getting all the way to 6400 iso. And I'm not going to print big so why would I spend another 1100$. I'd rather spend that to have my house foundation repaired (crack and leak do have to be fixed) tomorrow.

But I dream of the 800 just the same. But I also know that sometimes I love to dream about something and once I get it, the dream is over...

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I have been looking at black M3's and MP's...suddenly 2 grand seems like peanuts.

I've shot many many rolls of film in my youth and I never was able to get the quality of the D700 at high iso (above 2400), not even with the Hasselblad. Film and high iso just don't go hand in hand to well.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
At this point, I would wait a little bit longer for the D600 since you've waited this long already. Might worth the wait and get additional features like dual cards, video, time lapse, etc.

Billy Y.

Yes I agree, foundations are important, so definitely fix that. One thing you can count on in the DSLR market is that even if you got the 800, and your dream went away, it wouldn't be long before Nikon gave you a new dream. Really though I almost clicked the buy button today, but I'm still having trouble with the 70-80 megabyte raw file size, it seems like overkill for me and my needs at the moment. The reviews on the level of detail that shows up in landscape photos keeps me coming back though.

Eye-level

Banned
I've shot many many rolls of film in my youth and I never was able to get the quality of the D700 at high iso (above 2400), not even with the Hasselblad. Film and high iso just don't go hand in hand to well.

Film and regular ISO don't necessarily go hand in hand to well either at least compared to modern full frame digital. With what I have paid processing about 150+ rolls of film and the cost of my F2 I could have bought a D800E by now!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
At this point, I would wait a little bit longer for the D600 since you've waited this long already. Might worth the wait and get additional features like dual cards, video, time lapse, etc.

How about you Glenn, do you miss the D700 sometimes with the 800?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
How about you Glenn, do you miss the D700 sometimes with the 800?

Hi Marcel. I missed my D700 when I didn't have a full frame camera but not anymore. It doesn't mean that the D700 is a bad camera. It is a good camera but the DR that I get with the D800 plus the video feature, dual cards, higher resolution, 100% view finder are just some of the features that I cannot resist. It may not matter to some but I find them useful.

The DX mode is another feature that I like.

The big cons are price and the damn price again for the grip. Other than that, I am a happy camper.

Eye-level

Banned
There are some good points on both sides of the debate in that thread. The VR coming into it's own on the 800 is interesting. I use the "lowly" D5000 because it is good enough for what I do. It is more than enough. I am still learning basic and advanced stuff with it. Glass is the weak link in my kit besides myself of course. The big wall that I run into with my camera is DX (besides myself of course...hahaha). That is why I still have a great affinity for my F2 - full frame 100% viewfinder. Perhaps when the D600 comes out the D700 may fall a bit and that would open up a whole new playing field for me or maybe I'll just have to save up 2 grand in the meantime. To me the D800 is something that one would need first class lenses, first class tripods, audio gear for the video stuff...I mean if you have the D800 you ARE a serious individual about the photography not just some snapshot artist like me trying to deliver something better than a snapshot for the sheer joy of it all either that or just have the money to do it right or to the hilt or whatever. It is great that we have so many options.