How many members have pre-ordered a D800/800E?

Damp and Breezy

I think this is also helpful, from the same article. Thanks for the link.

"For a few specific types of photographers—studio, commercial and still life—who have used medium or large format cameras, the D800E, for instance, will be the right camera for their needs. These photographers can control light, distance, aperture selection and their subjects to the degree where they can reduce the occurrence of moiré. This is because medium and large format digital cameras do not utilize an OLPF, and so photographers who shoot with them already have a working understanding of the added workflow needed to counteract or correct for moiré/false color. These photographers understand that extra time will be needed in the creation of each image, whether it is by solving any issues of moiré/false color during the shooting process, in processing the RAW image files, or using software to fix the image files."

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I will get to see and maybe try the D800 this afternoon. Not sure if I'll be able to put in my cf card and take some shots back home though...

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Well, it turned out to be just one of these presentations. The cameras we could play with but not use with our CF cards. The D4 is quite a camera. As for the 800 or 800E, the rep was saying that most of us should stay away from the 800E unless we really know what we're getting into. The moiré, even if not present everywhere, seems to be bloody hard, if not impossible, to remove completely.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Well, it turned out to be just one of these presentations. The cameras we could play with but not use with our CF cards. The D4 is quite a camera. As for the 800 or 800E, the rep was saying that most of us should stay away from the 800E unless we really know what we're getting into. The moiré, even if not present everywhere, seems to be bloody hard, if not impossible, to remove completely.

Very interesting point Marcel. The E version was originally my target camera.

bluenoser

Banned

Thanks for the update Marcel. My guess would be that the moiré would be more than I (or most regular folks) would want to deal with as a regular part of their workflow but who knows? It could all be a tempest in a tea pot. What I do know is that everyone (myself included) are simply talking through their hats about the D800 or the D800E and what each will or won't be able to do. Let's get some first hand information and see if the moiré tea leaves were correct! lol! :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Remember, a new camera won't make you a good photographer but it will make a good photographer better.

Yes and this is why I'll stay happily with my D700 for a while. The pics I get with it are just great enough for me. I'm not earning with it so it will have to do for now.

bobmielke

Yes and this is why I'll stay happily with my D700 for a while. The pics I get with it are just great enough for me. I'm not earning with it so it will have to do for now.

There's nothing wrong with being satisfied with your camera. From a peek I took of your photos you're an accomplished photographer. Keep up the good work.

BBrown

Out of curiosity, how many people on this board are waiting for a D800/E? I am waiting for a D800E and I know Bob is waiting for an 800 but are there any other members on the waiting list?

As a side note, I'm curious why people chose the 800 over the 800E. To me, it seemed the 800E was the obvious choice and even thou it's priced ~10%, I took the "in for a penny - in for a pound" rational and for a small fee I could own the single highest resolution full frame camera in the world. And even thou I know this top status will not last very long, I will enjoy every one of my 15 mins while they last!

Decisions, decisions. Canon or Nikon? I had to take the plunge and decide on a Canon 5D Mk 3 or a Nikon D800. Canon people seem to gravitate towards Canon and Nikon towards Nikon. It's akin to Ford people vs Chevy people. To commit to the digital realm, I was faced with a complete equipment replacement. Everything I own is film. I have a Canon F-1 that I bought back in 1974. My favorite go-to lens was their 35mm f1.4. Unfortunately, my lenses are all C-mount and therefore not backwards compatible. High ISO's were not a factor as I rarely, if ever, shoot sports or action events. In the analogue world, my primary film was Kodak Tri-X 400 shot and developed with a 2-stop variation for shadow depth. I feel both the Canon and Nikon have pluses and minuses. Without going into all of the fine details, I decided to jump ship and go with the Nikon D800, Nikon - AF-S NIKKOR 35mm f/1.4G and the Nikon -AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens. Believe me, it was an agonizing decision. I hope I don't regret it. To answer your initial question, the reason I chose the D800 over the D800E was because my type of photography is more likely to fall victim to Moiré patterns. I don't want to spend any editing time to fix those patterns.

Last edited by a moderator:

DW_

Ha ha, well, I'm sure many will find this new revelation a bit funny, I know I certainly do, but today I called Crutchfield and switched my order from an 800E to an 800. Yes, I know, I went on and on about the virtues of the D800E but that was before I had a phone call from a buddy of mine that works as an electrical engineer. His point was that Cannon is currently countering the D800E with a software package that will effectively remove the AA filter and that very soon Nikon will also counter with their own software designed to remove the AA filter. His point being that the D800 is the best of both, you have access to the AA filter when you need it and soon will be able to remove it when you want the extra resolution. Frankly, I can't argue with his logic So I immediately called Crutchfield. Fortunately, they were able to change my order to the D800 and keep me in the same place in line. I love Crutchfield. Best customer service on the net!
Ha ha, so after all my rantings and ravings about the "E", I'm now enjoying a big slice of humble pie. Although it's not my favorite flavor of pie, I'm finding it acceptably palatable. :p

BBrown

I too did a bit of background homework on the D800 vs D800E. The general consensus is in favor of the D800. The difference in sharpness between the two models is extremely minimal. That difference can be mostly negated in post processing. Nikon also recommends the D800 for my type of photography, a combination of controlled and random shooting. Nikon also said the extra $300 for the E was a cost adjustment for the expected lower percentages of sales compared to the 800. The change to the 800 probably just saved you some inevitable post processing time.

Falcon1

I'm now on the waiting list for Nikon D800 here in Iceland, according to the camera store I should be able to get mine in the first shipment which arrives to Iceland. Probably late next week - can't wait! :cool:

BBrown

Where did you order your camera from? B & H Photo, where I ordered mine, still hasn't received the first one yet. On a side note, I originally ordered the 35mm f1.4. Changed that lens for the 24-70 f2.8. At this point, the only thing missing is the darn camera! (D800).