Has joined D300 owners group! :)

skene

Yes Bill... I was contemplating going to D700 or D800... But then that would require me to go and get new glass as I don't have many FX lenses in my arsenal. I know I could have also just used my DX lenses on an FX body, but I would rather not. I'll wait it out because I will be moving out to Las Vegas in a few weeks, so while I didn't need the camera as I already had my D3100 and D90... I couldn't pass on the price.
So now my dilemma would be which will be the one to go.. I think it would be the D3100.. :p

Now maybe it's just me and it may be somewhat similar in terms sticking with D90 and D300s as they both have the same sensor, both similarly optioned otherwise. It is a breeze to use and now I would just need to get used to how the D300s operates. It would also be my stepping stone to maybe the future FX body whichever I end up deciding.

Bill16

I did the same thing! I got rid of my D3100. I would have kept my D90, but lately I had to sell it. But the D90 is a lot closer to the D300 than the D3100 would be. Of course once I bought the D300, I didn't hardly use the D90 anymore anyway. The D300 is just so much better in my opinion! :)
I will eventually get a D700 to go with my D300, and all my glass is already fx glass I think. I don't think I have any DX glass at all right now if my memory is right! Lol ;)

Anyway congrats buddy! I think you'll love it my friend! :D

Yes Bill... I was contemplating going to D700 or D800... But then that would require me to go and get new glass as I don't have many FX lenses in my arsenal. I know I could have also just used my DX lenses on an FX body, but I would rather not. I'll wait it out because I will be moving out to Las Vegas in a few weeks, so while I didn't need the camera as I already had my D3100 and D90... I couldn't pass on the price.
So now my dilemma would be which will be the one to go.. I think it would be the D3100.. :p

Now maybe it's just me and it may be somewhat similar in terms sticking with D90 and D300s as they both have the same sensor, both similarly optioned otherwise. It is a breeze to use and now I would just need to get used to how the D300s operates. It would also be my stepping stone to maybe the future FX body whichever I end up deciding.

hrstrat57

:(

I broke down. I didn't get a FX body. I found a great deal on a D300s that I couldn't pass up. I unfortunately am too invested in DX lenses to make a switch at this time, and for what I normally shoot I don't feel that I can benefit with doing the switch over to FX.

So I got the body with MBD10 with 2 batteries... for a song and dance. With 16k on the actuations I think this worked out well.

Well played, well played indeed!!!

Bill16

Hey since I have 2 D300 Nikon's does that mean I get 2 votes now too? Lol :p

Here are a couple flowers photos I didn't think were good enough to go in the flowers thread.

dsc_8037.jpg

dsc_8035.jpg

downunder

Bill, you are a bad influence on some of us weak minded nikonites who view this forum. I didn't even know what a D300 was until reading this forum. I have a D7100 and D5100. I love both cameras but the D7100 is my precious and is kept for use in pampered environments where I am sure of its safety and protection. The D5100 is my go to camera at those other times. I live in a rural area and at least every second day take my dog for a walk and take my D5100 along with me on a Blackrapid strap. I have been concerned for a while that the D5100 might get damaged on some of these walks or I might get caught out in inclement weather which might not be to the D5100's liking. I have always yearned for a tough reasonably weather-proofed camera for these walks. I also have little use for video on a camera. And then I read about the D300. As a goto back-up camera, I didn't want to spend too much money. Like you, I have found a used D300 and have just bought it. It appears to be just the camera I want for these walks. I will trial it once it arrives and if it works out as I think it will, it will become my goto camera and I will sell my D5100. I would probably gone for a D700 if they were a lower price but even used they are as expensive a new D7100.

DCB

$435 On KEH. I would say from $400 - 450 depending on condition and accessories.

300s is more but very nice camera.

Peace

downunder

I picked mine up for $430 US. It hasn't arrived yet but adjectives described in its description included 'perfect' and 'excellent' condition.

Lawrence

Thanks @DCB

There is one going for a good price (subject to reserve) with grip and accessories but no lens.
Will be watching it closely for interest if noting else.
Not sure I want a second body and quite happy with my D5100 but this thread got me thinking ...

Bill16

Should I apologize or congratulate you on your new D300? Lol ;)

Bill, you are a bad influence on some of us weak minded nikonites who view this forum. I didn't even know what a D300 was until reading this forum. I have a D7100 and D5100. I love both cameras but the D7100 is my precious and is kept for use in pampered environments where I am sure of its safety and protection. The D5100 is my go to camera at those other times. I live in a rural area and at least every second day take my dog for a walk and take my D5100 along with me on a Blackrapid strap. I have been concerned for a while that the D5100 might get damaged on some of these walks or I might get caught out in inclement weather which might not be to the D5100's liking. I have always yearned for a tough reasonably weather-proofed camera for these walks. I also have little use for video on a camera. And then I read about the D300. As a goto back-up camera, I didn't want to spend too much money. Like you, I have found a used D300 and have just bought it. It appears to be just the camera I want for these walks. I will trial it once it arrives and if it works out as I think it will, it will become my goto camera and I will sell my D5100. I would probably gone for a D700 if they were a lower price but even used they are as expensive a new D7100.

fotojack

If any of you who just acquired a D300 or a D300s send me your email address in a PM, I can send you a Setup Guide in PDF form. Can't send them through Nikonites.

downunder

I just remembered another reason why the D300 gained my attention. I have a couple of older AI lenses. Like the D7100, the D300 apparently is able to use matrix metering with manual focus with these older AI lenses. Whilst these older lenses can be attached to my D5100, the D5100 will not allow matrix metering with them.

Last edited:

Blacktop

Thanks @DCB

There is one going for a good price (subject to reserve) with grip and accessories but no lens.
Will be watching it closely for interest if noting else.
Not sure I want a second body and quite happy with my D5100 but this thread got me thinking ...

if you don't care about having video, I would go with the D300. Pretty much the same camera as the D300s except it has no video functionality and only one card slot.

downunder

The one good thing about the D300 is that it has been around for such a long time that there are a great number of reviews that don't only talk about it at its first release but also its great track record over that relatively long period of time. Most of the reviews about it and its bigger brother the D700 are very, very positive. Until recently, I had never heard of the D300 or the D700 but as mentioned earlier in this thread, I now have a D300 on its way to me. Even though both these cameras contain supposedly dated technology the reviews lead me to believe they are both still capable of taking very good photographs (at least to meet my requirements).

On a side note, I also mentioned only yesterday that I was going to consider selling my D5100 to pay for the D300. Well that happened today. I sold my D5100. Unfortunately, I also found a used D700 at a reasonable price and instead of saving my money, I spent it on the D700. In retrospect, perhaps I should have bought one new camera instead of two used ones but 24 hours ago I had no intention of also buying the D700 (I have to admit that the rapidly falling Australian dollar and Australian import tax law also played a part in this decision). The one important property however that convinced me to buy came down to the robustness and weather proofing of the D300/D700 cameras. I do tend to be hard on my possessions but that's me. The temptation of owning my first full frame camera also played a part. I believe these cameras will have abilities that will complement the one other camera I own and love, the D7100, and count myself fortunate to be able own three such fine cameras.