Filters, cheap or worth the $30 ones?

rocketman122

The Hoya HD's clean up with a wipe of a microfiber cloth. Seriously, they're flat out amazing filters. Half the transmission loss, the glass is "Gorilla Glass" tough and even greasy fingerprints clean up in seconds with just a wipe.

nice to know. ive been using nikons since the film days. havent checked others. I also noticed no one said Sigma filters (I think hoya makes for them and sell for cheaper) or B&W filters which are also very high quality. I like Nikon. I can rely on it. maybe a bit more than others but I have peace of mind. if I do need I will look into the new hoya HD. just so many sell them from asia and im very suspicious of them being counterfeit. and who the hell can tell anyway.

Horoscope Fish

nice to know. ive been using nikons since the film days. havent checked others. I also noticed no one said Sigma filters (I think hoya makes for them and sell for cheaper) or B&W filters which are also very high quality. I like Nikon. I can rely on it. maybe a bit more than others but I have peace of mind. if I do need I will look into the new hoya HD. just so many sell them from asia and im very suspicious of them being counterfeit. and who the hell can tell anyway.
I've used numerous brands since the film days and some are definitely better than others. Who is making the best of anything can change any time in my experience and brand name is no longer the insurance it once was, I don't think, since leading technology can easily level, or reverse, the playing field. Some companies keep up, others don't and get left behind resting on their laurels. Nikon filters are on-par, I would say with Sigmas: Better than, say, a Tiffen, but not as good as a Hoya or a B+W filter.

When it comes time to buy just about anything kit-related my "insurance" against cheap knock-offs is buying from Amazon or B&H or Adorama. Period. eBay, as far as I'm concerned, could disappear from the face of the earth and I wouldn't even know it. I deal with those three vendors not only because I've always gotten good merch from the start but also because returns are hassle free and gawd knows I've returned some s--t over the years.

rocketman122

I live overseas so my options are limited. Plus the extreme price discount (from adorama bh price tag) makes me very suspicious. If a friemd comes visits then i can ask of him but otherwise its mostly ebay for these things. Isnt Hoya is the biggest company for glass, no?

bigal1000

Heliopan or B@W only anything else is not worth it,but that is my opinion only I have very expensive Nikon glass and will not use a cheap $30 filter on my lenses.....

dragion

Heliopan or B@W only anything else is not worth it,but that is my opinion only I have very expensive Nikon glass and will not use a cheap $30 filter on my lenses.....

+1
I usually stick with either B&W or Nikon NC, but I do have a Marumi Super DHG which is an excellent filter...but unfortunately, I don't have very expensive Nikon glass ;)

Eob

I thought the $30 filters were the expensive ones. D'oh! Its just a piece of glass. How much more could it be?

cbg

I thought the $30 filters were the expensive ones. D'oh! Its just a piece of glass. How much more could it be?
Depending on the type of filter and who makes the filter (Hoya, B&W, etc), they can run $300+. I general you get what you pay for.