Filters, cheap or worth the $30 ones?

weebee

I use Hoya HD filters because I believe two things:

1. A filter is good protection for the front lens element. After carrying my camera around in the desert for a full day I see what collects on the front of my lens and I don't like it. After smashing a perfectly good Tiffen UV filter (I tripped over my own feet and fell, taking my D5100 with me) and thinking, "Gosh, that could have been my lens..." I took off the now useless Tiffen filter and got on with life none the worse for wear. I now use Hoya HD filters because the HD glass is pretty gosh darn tough. Really tough. They also clean up soooooo easily; fingerprints, dirt, schmutz... It all just wipes off.

2. If you're going to put a filter on your lens, use a filter that serves a purpose besides just protecting your front lens element. Personally I use a Circular Polarizing filter, but that's just a personal choice. I'll plug the Hoya HD CPL again because they also have a much higher light transmission so you only lose about one-stop, versus the typical two-stops you would using another CPL.

Is this true with the digital clear filters as well?

fotojack

1): I use two brands of filters; Hoya and Tiffen.
2): I only use filters when I'm outdoors. I never use filters in studio or anywhere indoors. It's just not necessary, IMHO.
3): Always use a lens hood.

weebee

2): I only use filters when I'm outdoors. I never use filters in studio or anywhere indoors. It's just not necessary, IMHO.

That's a good point. I never thought of using a hood for protection, only to help against sun spots. I'm keeping that in mind. Thanks for the tip.

Eob

Ah! I forgot about lens hoods. I have one...somewhere! But I'm assuming that I need another that would fit my zoom lens

Whiskeyman

Do clear filters have zero effect on your pictures? Can you give me an example of a good one? Do you always use one?

No. There are many, but I now use only filters designed for digital photography; primarily B+W, Hoya, and. Yes.

There is a light transmission penalty for everything you put between your front lens element and your subject. The best filters minimize this penalty, while also applying it evenly over the entire scene and throughout the light spectrum. And they usually cost more than $5.

WM

Sambr

Most of my filters are 77mm in size. Don't buy cheap ones you get what you pay for. Mine are B+W, Hoya & my favorite Sigma not cheap from $82.00 to $109.00 each.

Jonathan

Just catching this interesting thread. I have Hoya UV filters on ALL my lenses simply for scratch protection. I know how much my lenses cost, but that is still expensive protection. I don't use any lens hoods. What is a good, cheap lens protector? I usually walk around with camera on and cap off when in snap mode and don't want to pay over the odds for something that also has an impact on those snaps.

Geoffc

I use Hoya pro 1 clear filter on every lens. They are not even that expensive. I can't tell the difference with or without. I also use a hood at all times these days.

Geoffc

Ta. For what it is I still consider £20 to £30 daylight robbery.

I know what you mean, why invest 1.25% of the cost of my 70-200 2.8 just to protect the front element :)

I bought one today for my new macro lens and it was £18 delivered. Filters are about the cheapest thing I ever buy, but I find these Hoyas to be vey good.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I use Hoya HD filters because I believe two things:

1. A filter is good protection for the front lens element. After carrying my camera around in the desert for a full day I see what collects on the front of my lens and I don't like it. After smashing a perfectly good Tiffen UV filter (I tripped over my own feet and fell, taking my D5100 with me) and thinking, "Gosh, that could have been my lens..." I took off the now useless Tiffen filter and got on with life none the worse for wear. I now use Hoya HD filters because the HD glass is pretty gosh darn tough. Really tough. They also clean up soooooo easily; fingerprints, dirt, schmutz... It all just wipes off.

2. If you're going to put a filter on your lens, use a filter that serves a purpose besides just protecting your front lens element. Personally I use a Circular Polarizing filter, but that's just a personal choice. I'll plug the Hoya HD CPL again because they also have a much higher light transmission so you only lose about one-stop, versus the typical two-stops you would using another CPL.

Thanks for the reply. Definitely not what I wanted to hear, though. I don't want to have to stop down, that would defeat the purpose of the f1.8 lens that I just bought. Boo!

Evacares, a circular polarizer will mean an adjustment of 1-2 stops, but that doesn't mean you have to change your aperture to make the adjustment. The shutter speed or the ISO can be adjusted--both options will still allow you to use an aperture of f/1.8. :)

cbg

I'm with Photojack on using a lens hood, I always use the hood. However, the only time I use I use a filter I when I use special purpose one - Poloriizer, ND, etc. I'm in the camp of not wanting any additional glass on the lens unless it is there for a purpose. I spend a lot of time out in the woods, etc with my equipment so far without incident.

Whiskeyman

What is a good, cheap lens protector?

You are. In fact, you are the best lens protector there is, and there is no charge for you to maintain awareness about your gear in order to protect it. The lens filters are there to cover inattentiveness on your part to maintain protection for your gear.

It is likely that any "cheap" lens filter will cause a loss to the quality of your photos. Lens filters are just like every other thing; you don't always get what you pay for, but you're going to pay for what you get!!

WM

fotojack

I'm with Photojack on using a lens hood, I always use the hood. However, the only time I use I use a filter I when I use special purpose one - Poloriizer, ND, etc. I'm in the camp of not wanting any additional glass on the lens unless it is there for a purpose. I spend a lot of time out in the woods, etc with my equipment so far without incident.

psssst....it's fotojack, not Photojack. :)

rocketman122

nikon NC filter for me. always with a lens hood. if it falls to the floor, its possible the hood will deflect impact away from the front element area, saving the lens. as I do weddings, ive gotten elbowed many times on the dance floor. so a hood helps with that. but I have Nikons NC filters. dont trust tiffen and too many counterfeit of hoya on ebay.

pain in the A** to clean MC filters though.

Horoscope Fish

... Definitely not what I wanted to hear, though. I don't want to have to stop down, that would defeat the purpose of the f1.8 lens that I just bought.
You don't have to stop down. You don't have to "do" anything, really... If you're shooting in Aperture Priority for instance, as I typically am, the shutter speed compensates automatically.

Pain in the A** to clean MC filters though.
The Hoya HD's clean up with a wipe of a microfiber cloth. Seriously, they're flat out amazing filters. Half the transmission loss, the glass is "Gorilla Glass" tough and even greasy fingerprints clean up in seconds with just a wipe.