Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Entry #2, night picture of a tree under a street lamp. Df 35mm f2 Ai, iso 6400

MCC_5142.jpg

Kim20

Entry #3
This is a very old pair of spectacles, I know the lenses are not clean, but I don't like to clean them, as I worry about damaging them.

DSC_0609.jpg

and, I just noticed that they are upside down, lol, oh well, I will leave them that way, and just pretend that I did that on purpose.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Third and last entry, the Adirondack chair patiently waiting for the warmer summer days to come.

the chair.jpg

Bob Blaylock

Re: February Assignment: Light and its SHADOW

Second entry…

I had it in my head that in fog, this lamp might produce some interesting shadow patterns. I took some pictures while I was waiting for the fog machine to warm up. It turns out that no, this lamp really didn't do anything interesting with the fog. I just got pictures of the lamp, seen unclearly through fog. At the time, I hadn't even noticed the shadows that the lamp cast, of parts of itself, on the wall behind it.

Stock 18-55mm lens on my D3200. Focal length set to 40mm, aperture at ƒ/5.6, ISO 100; three shots, with shutter speeds of 1 second, 1/10 of a second and 1/100 of a second; HDRed with GeoHDR.

geoHDR_csc_7458_csc_7457_csc_7459n.jpg

I did take another picture of something else today, casting shadows in the fog, but I wasn't terribly pleased with the results. I may use it for my third entry if something better doesn't come along before the month gets too close to running out.

———

I feel compelled to point out that out of all the entries that have been made so far, I think there are only four other than my two, that correctly comply with the stated theme. One word added to the theme title, beyond the cliché that one usually hears, I take to mean that the light source itself should be in the picture, as well as the shadows cast thereby. It's not “Light and Shadow”; it's “Light and its* Shadow”. That one word makes a subtle, but I think important, difference. “Light and Shadow” would mean a picture that includes areas of light, and areas of shadow. “Light and its Shadow”, I take to mean that there should be a light source in the picture, and there should be shadows cast from that light source.

The other four that have both a light source in the picture, as well as shadows cast therefrom, all are pretty much the same thing—the sun, seen through tree cover, with the shadows cast from the sun by the trees.

* I'm assuming that that was supposed to be “its”, indicating possessive; rather than “it's”, a contraction of “it is”, that the apostrophe in the theme title was put there by mistake. “Light and it is Shadow” wouldn't make sense.

Last edited:

Watoh

I feel compelled to point out that out of all the entries that have been made so far, I think there are only four other than my two, that correctly comply with the stated theme. One word added to the theme title, beyond the cliché that one usually hears, I take to mean that the light source itself should be in the picture, as well as the shadows cast thereby. It's not “Light and Shadow”; it's “Light and its* Shadow”. That one word makes a subtle, but I think important, difference. “Light and Shadow” would mean a picture that includes areas of light, and areas of shadow. “Light and its Shadow”, I take to mean that there should be a light source in the picture, and there should be shadows cast from that light source.

The other four that have both a light source in the picture, as well as shadows cast therefrom, all are pretty much the same thing—the sun, seen through tree cover, with the shadows cast from the sun by the trees.

* I'm assuming that that was supposed to be “its”, indicating possessive; rather than “it's”, a contraction of “it is”, that the apostrophe in the theme title was put there by mistake. “Light and it is Shadow” wouldn't make sense.

But going by Marcel's examples it appears light does not have to include the source. Light is cast.. so you can include light without its actual source being included. Do you not think?

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

But going by Marcel's examples it appears light does not have to include the source. Light is cast.. so you can include light without its actual source being included. Do you not think?
You are right @Watoh, the theme is not poured in concrete and is open to personal interpretation.

Status
Not open for further replies.